Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games codex hates but you like and vice versa.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Is there someone here who 'unironically' actually likes that series? Even the first game was incredibly repetitive and tedious gameplay with a derpy story line, and its now the poster child for AAA yearly recycled retardo games.
I do. I never finished first AC, as you said it was tedious and boring, stopped playing at Black Flag but that's beceause my computer couldn't run anything past that. I don't play it for challenge or some great story, I just like running and "parkour".
Unfortunelly, as I am watching on youtube new ACs have abysmall running/walking animations, I hope they will fix that beceause in my opinion it makes them unplayable.

I also dislike Fallout 2 despite enjoying F1, never finished F2 beceause it was boring and there was too much humor, especially pop-culture references I simply don't know. I am going to give it another try after finishing F:NV, maybe I it will "click" this time.

Last edited:

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Is there someone here who 'unironically' actually likes that series? Even the first game was incredibly repetitive and tedious gameplay with a derpy story line, and its now the poster child for AAA yearly recycled retardo games.
I do. I never finished first AC, as you said it was tedious and boring, stopped playing at Black Flag but that's beceause my computer couldn't run anything past that. I don't play it for challenge or some great story, I just like running and "parkour".
Unfortunelly, as I am watching on youtube new ACs have abysmall running/walking animations, I hope they will fix that beceause in my opinion it makes them unplayable.

No kappa the first of the new Tomb Raider is actually pretty good if you like this sorta thing. Also obviously mirror edge.

The 2nd of the new tomb raiders is... not bad to fuck around with for a bit but ultimately drags on for too long because mah open world.

To clarify I mean the 2013 Tomb Raider. I actually finished it and I don't usually finish games. 2nd one I gave up half way.

Last edited:

Jarmaro

Liturgist
No kappa the first of the new Tomb Raider is actually pretty good if you like this sorta thing. Also obviously mirror edge.
Tomb Raiders aren't my thing, climbing aged poorly, although beceause of friend I played a bit of every of them (guy was a real psycho, he had multiple saves which he used to just watch Lara die, falling by jumping into abyss, walking into it, walking backwards, he could do it for hours. It creeps me out today, maybe he's a murderer now). Mirror's was very fun, average story at best but enjoyable gameplay. New one doesn't look anything like it, I dunno how they managed to break it.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Tomb Raiders aren't my thing, climbing aged poorly, although beceause of friend I played a bit of every of them (guy was a real psycho, he had multiple saves which he used to just watch Lara die, falling by jumping into abyss, walking into it, walking backwards, he could do it for hours. It creeps me out today, maybe he's a murderer now). Mirror's was very fun, average story at best but enjoyable gameplay. New one doesn't look anything like it, I dunno how they managed to break it.

Maybe middle earth shadow of war? I had fun for a few hours running around and making an orc army but ultimately combat was too brain-dead for me to finish it. Its one of these utterly decline but brainless fun games. Maybe with mods could actually be good.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
[...] (guy was a real psycho, he had multiple saves which he used to just watch Lara die, falling by jumping into abyss, walking into it, walking backwards, he could do it for hours. [...]

:incline:
Yea he was just misunderstood. He fought decline in his own way. F to Lara Croft.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I liked Divinity Original Sin 2. More than the first one, even. It sacrifices immersion often enough, and its more silly than I am used to, but its pure fun. The game could be about rectangles navigating a Pac-Man maze, but with these combat mechanics it would still be entertaining.
As for the Gothic games, I couldn't play the old ones on release because where I am at they only released in german, and because the control scheme was just horrible. I've revisited them with mods to bind things to a more comfortable setup, and with translations, but now that they are older I can't get the same appreciation for them that people playing on release did. I can tell they are good, I can point to excellent design in them, but I just can't properly enjoy them.

Ocelot

Learned
Also what the fuck does :M and :prosper: mean. I can't decipher that shit.

I'm new to the codex as well and have no idea what the fuck are those. This place is so ancient everything is an inside joke inside of an inside joke derived from an obscure reference in some long-forgotten RPG created 2500 years ago and programmed by the ancient Greeks to run in the antikythera mechanism.

Equip the ring, by the way.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
D:OS 2 is immersive in any way? Now, that's a suprise.
You can sort of get into it, roleplaying as the arrogant fallen prince red lizard, or the playfully cruel demon possessed bard. The dialogue options and sometimes the different quest resolutions allow you to feel like you are showing certain character traits and the world reacts.
A lot of RPGs where you play set characters have much less room for such maneuvers. In The Witcher 3 you can barely change Geralt at all. It still manages some immersion, but its different. Dunno, man. Its feels. Can't write down my feels.

deama

Prophet

I'm new to the codex as well and have no idea what the fuck are those. This place is so ancient everything is an inside joke inside of an inside joke derived from an obscure reference in some long-forgotten RPG created 2500 years ago and programmed by the ancient Greeks to run in the antikythera mechanism.

The face means "prosper", so basically "have fun with ur shity shit".
The bird I think means that thing that sonic does on the title screen:
sonic_1_title_screen_animation_by_supremechaos918-d7dhkv0.gif

Deathsquid

Learned

The face means "prosper", so basically "have fun with ur shity shit".
The bird I think means that thing that sonic does on the title screen:
sonic_1_title_screen_animation_by_supremechaos918-d7dhkv0.gif
Yeah, no, except the Prosper mention.

Deathsquid

Learned
I like DS gamers, their posts always give me a big ol' smile.

Whys that? lol
'Cause they're so passionate and persuasive about their beloved hand-held console. Nintendo fans really are the best.

But I don't have a console otherwise I'd be praising bloodborne :(

Wait I just realized.. are you making a joke about ds being nintendo ds and not dark souls?
Yeah except I thought you guys were talking about Dungeon Siege series.

Seaking4

Learned
I liked and enjoyed playing Dead State even though it seemed like everyone else thought it sucked. A bit annoying in that there were several ways it could have easily been improved but it overall still fun.

the_shadow

Arcane

From what I've seen, the parrot is the equivalent of 'Hmmm', but usually with a negative tone, like 'Hmm, are you being serious?'.

The face is just another way of expressing :negative:.

PorkBarrellGuy

For an example of a game that I like but the Codex hates, see my avatar.

undertale was kind of cute, the fanbase is the worst part about it

I dunno, there's shit that might be considered popamole that I like. UT2004, TF2 (well, used to like it anyway), some others.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Find the Infinity Engine games, Neverwinter Nigths, Arcanum and VtM:B highly overrated. And hate Planescape: Torment - it's insulting to call it a game, less alone an RPG.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom