Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really love playing Bethesda games, however retarded they are. They're like a good bottle of cherry coke at the end of a hot, dry work day.

Obsidian games, on the other hand, are like fine wine.
Guess that would explain why I couldn't get myself to play PoE 2 further the last few days - I really don't like (most) wines.

I mean, I'll also play this Fallout, but after a sale for sure.
For me, it is like watching a trash movie or brainless action flick.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
When you think about it with no government and personal nukes fallout 76 might actually end up being the paradise the ancaps have been looking for.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Single player that's also multi player.
A focus on building shit and player housing.

This could be the actual Shroud of the Avatar people did not know they have been dreaming of.

vagrantscout

Barely Literate
I am just cautiously optimistic about it ... the E3 stuff was impressive but since we really get no details I am just hoping it lives up to the hype

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Single player that's also multi player.
A focus on building shit and player housing.

This could be the actual Shroud of the Avatar people did not know they have been dreaming of.

The actual Ultima Online spiritual successor made by Bethesda.......... truly they are innovator of the genre

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
JmTMGxh.png

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Fallout fans are familiar with a combat system called V.A.T.S., which slows down time and allows the user to pick their targets with precision. In a single-player only game, this is easy enough to design for. In multiplayer Fallout 76, time will not be slowed but players will be able to target body parts.
While multiplayer is the focus, there will be a story and missions to support it. But players will also be able to pursue their own individual goals as opposed to going through missions and side missions. Crafting, which played a big role in Fallout 4 is back. Making weapons, armor, consumables and other items will require parts recipes just like the last game; like other items, those recipes will be tradable among live players.
To construct a base, players will have something called the Construction and Assembly Mobile Platform, or C.A.M.P. When players load into a game, the C.A.M.P. loads with them at their last location (in the rare case someone’s base is already there, the player is given a blueprint so they can move it to another spot).
In terms of player progression, players will still level up through XP and earn “perk cards” which are similar to the perk system of past games. Perk card use will be gated by a player’s attributes through the familiar S.P.E.C.I.A.L. character-creation process. Players will only be able to equip a certain number of perk cards, but will be able to re-spec their character at any time by swapping them. And perk cards are sharable with other players.
Players will be able to opt into (or out of) player-versus-player and player-versus-environment gameplay as they choose, much like MMOs do. There’s still more to learn about how PvP will work, but Bethesda Softworks has signaled that if players don’t want to take on human-vs-human combat, they won’t have to.
Some of the details to emerge so far include a “bounty system” which levies a price on the head of players who behave aggressively. PvP’s balancing is still being tuned with the ideal of curbing grief behavior while still leaving room for dramatic struggles.
Being killed in PvP (or PvE) for that matter, will never result in progression loss for a character. In PvE, once downed they’ll take a knee, which they can then be revived or knocked out for good (again, like some MMOs). Players killed in action can pick a respawn point and rejoin the game.
For PvE, users can expect to deal with a slew of beasts, mutants, ghouls, deathclaws and the new monsters unique to this game. One is a “Scorchbeast,” an enormous, boss-level mutated bat-like monster that can fly. Scorchbeasts are tied to one of the more intriguing — and difficult — PvE goals, the Nukes.
Four different nuclear missile sites will be located on Fallout 76’s map, from which players can arm and launch a nuke. This is accomplished by obtaining all of the missile keys for a site, which are dropped by NPC enemies in the world. Nuking a site creates “rare and valuable resources” at that location, along with more powerful monsters.
Canonically, nuking a site involves sealing the nuclear fissures in the grown where they are spawned. As far as how this affects other players, there will be a warning before one comes in. Bethesda Game Studios does not intend nukes to be a kind of PvP ultimate strike on others’ bases. And by the way, there will be no offline base raids on other players. When they’re not in the game, neither is their base.
Though Fallout 76 has been given shorthand comparisons to H1Z1, it doesn’t sound like this will be a hardcore survival game. Players must deal with weapons that degrade and break with use. Hunger and thirst will be concerns, although it doesn’t sound like they will be as arduous as the survival mode put into Fallout 4 in 2016. Still, it will debuff players who are thirsty or hungry.
Radiation and RADs, always a part of Fallout, are ever present here as well, but now figure into a variation on the series’ trait system. As players take on more RADs, the more likely they are to develop a mutation, which can have both positive and negative effects. As players advance they’ll be able to make permanent mutations they prefer.
Fallout 76’s creative director is Todd Howard, and the development studio is Bethesda Game Studios, but some of the programmers hail from the former BattleCry Studios. In fact, it draws on the Quake multiplayer netcode in the Fallout 4 engine. In the Noclip documentary, Howard said that Fallout 76 was originally to be the multiplayer component of 2015’s Fallout 4. So this game’s development dates back at least as far.
n the Noclip documentary, Bethesda said it planned to support the game “for years” with new content and free updates. There will be microtransactions, Bethesda said, but purchasable items are limited to cosmetic items only, which allows them to support dedicated online servers. Any purchasable cosmetics can also be earned through gameplay, Bethesda said.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
It's the Overwatch business model, they sell you the game and cosmetic stuff, which funds the development of actual content expansions that's then free for everyone. It's not such a bad business model compared to more exploitative ones. Not that it makes any difference for me because I'm not giving Lyin' Todd any of my money. :M

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I wonder what kind of abominations people will make in the character creator, seeing this is an online game and all

XMX7hZx.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom