Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Quillon

Arcane
Why is it first person?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Because it's better than third person for a game like this
For a RPG? Fuck no. First person melee combat with AI is almost always clunky and poor in general, and there really aren't very many good FPS RPGs that can be balanced and not have insane level scaling that does not make your enemies all bullet sponges.

KK1001

Arbiter
This isn't a GTA clone. GTA controls like ass on foot. The proportion of time spent in car vs on foot is probably the opposite too. The density of content will probably be higher, and the overall map smaller.

sullynathan

Arcane
Infinitron
0bThhDB.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No, the citation that's needed is that Cyberpunk will necessarily be larger as well. They've explicitly said that they're taking a different approach to map design than the Witcher 3, going vertically instead of horizontally.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Given the amount of customization you'll be able to do on yourself, there will be plenty opportunity to watch your character in third person. This is all much ado about nothing.

Elex

Arbiter
I'll just leave this here

cnBo6iU.png

So you'll know what audience they are going for
i’m going to be happy if cp2077 is 76% of the original deus ex.
Wait, is this gonna be first person or 3rd person? I'm confused now.

It's gonna have first person for sure but who knows if people bitch enough maybe CDPR will give in and try to add 3rd person...?

they gonna add it after the feedbacks, game mechanics don’t really require first person (auto targeting bullets) and melee feel better in third person in particular when you can perform stuff like “climb walls with your arm-blades”

soulburner

Cipher
I don't understand the notion that first person is not good for an RPG. It is perfect for RPG and role playing in overall, because only then I can get the feeling that I'm actually "there" in the gameworld. When I see my character's back all the time, there's this disconnection: I am not Geralt, for example, I only tell him what to do (isometric view is a totally different animal and not relevant right now). Even melee combat, when done right, is better in first person. I got used to the third person view and don't mind it that much in games that offer only that mode, but I still prefer FPP - I was so overjoyed when GTAV got the option of this kind of perspective, because only then the game became actually... immersive.

I remember it was Divinity 2 where if you looked up, the camera got so close to the character model, it became first person. Whenever that happened, the only thing I could think of was how awesome it would be if the whole game was FPP... Another example of a third person game where things didn't really work right, was one of the early Tomb Raiders. When looking up... Lara's model became translucent so you could actually see what's up :D

And to all the people who say adding TPP to a game is an easy task, here's an example. It's the other way around, but it's pretty much the same thing: the GTAV devs said in at least one interview that adding first person perspective was a very hard task. Hundreds, if not thousands of animations had to be redone from scratch, new viewmodels had to be created and it cost them a lot of time to do. It's not just moving the camera closer or further away, unless you don't care how things look.

I do not think CDP will add TPP in the foreseeable future. Maybe in some "director's cut edition", but the whole discussion about all this will most likely die out by the time the game is out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom