Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen - Chaos Chronicles reborn and dead again

PrettyDeadman

Still can't see any shadows.
Make shadows sharper and women more scantily clothed.
Without bob I can't even tell if there are any women on this picture which is a huge decline in interest in this game.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
I don't think the grid overlay (and the rest of the GUI) quite works with your style of ground textures.
They're quite high frequency, almost noisy (both in detail and hue of colours sprinkled all over all the tiles) and the semi transparent grid only adds to the noise.
I'd suggest either having an option to set transparency, or to try and commit to a completely opaque overlay. Or figure out another effect (some kind of movement? Shimmer? That could get busy and annoying fast though..) that would separate it from the actual ground way more.
(imo semi transparent overlays can look good and functional, but on more uniform and less busy ground textures.)

edit: Try quickly flipping between the two versions of the battle screenshot. The one with the fog effect works quite a bit better, because the fog itself knocks the ground texture back, so the grid is more visible and readable.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't think the grid overlay (and the rest of the GUI) quite works with your style of ground textures.
They're quite high frequency, almost noisy (both in detail and hue of colours sprinkled all over all the tiles) and the semi transparent grid only adds to the noise.
I'd suggest either having an option to set transparency, or to try and commit to a completely opaque overlay. Or figure out another effect (some kind of movement? Shimmer? That could get busy and annoying fast though..) that would separate it from the actual ground way more.
(imo semi transparent overlays can look good and functional, but on more uniform and less busy ground textures.)

edit: Try quickly flipping between the two versions of the battle screenshot. The one with the fog effect works quite a bit better, because the fog itself knocks the ground texture back, so the grid is more visible and readable.

Thanks for the feedback! We're going to try with a stronger, bolder grid overlay, and letting the player adjust grid opacity is also a good idea. Right now it does blend into the terrain too much indeed, especially in grassland areas.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
How about hiding the grid except when player holds alt, and also for the current traced path?

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Merlkir does this look better to you?

RB_Combat_Alpha_Grid_Dark_01.jpg

Or maybe this variant?

RB_Combat_Alpha_Grid_Light_01.jpg

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Yeah, agreed. The second one is clearer, that's a similar (or the same?) effect as the fog layer, right?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I prefer the first one. The grid seems visible enough too.

In the second one, whether that's fog or grid shading, it makes it look washed out.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Yeah, agreed. The second one is clearer, that's a similar (or the same?) effect as the fog layer, right?

It's a different technique, the grid renders as additional overlay mesh while the fog effect applies to every object immediately.

And since everyone seems to have a different preference, we'll offer both variants with customizable strength factors in the options (along with different color configurations for red-green color blindness).

ArchAngel

Arcane
First one looks nicer overall aesthetically but second one it is easier to see your and enemy troops.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Liking the interface that was shown so far, everything looks clear and informative to me.

Drowed

Arcane
The only thing I didn't like about this video is that the projectiles are so slow that I would have time to go into the kitchen, get dinner and go back before it hit (or miss) the target.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
The only thing I didn't like about this video is that the projectiles are so slow that I would have time to go into the kitchen, get dinner and go back before it hit (or miss) the target.

You can speed up the animation and projectile speed by pressing space.

I'm quite puzzled why Peter didn't include that in the video at some point, but it's possible. I always speed everything up when I playtest the combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom