Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Books You'd Love To See Adapted Into CRPG's

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
51e1bOrGJzL._SY445_QL70_.jpg

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
I agree with TimCain that: “Roger Zelazny's "Lord Of Light" would make a great CRPG.”

So that's why Pillars of Eternity takes inspiration from Lord of Light. I wanted to know whose idea it was and it seems it was Tim Cain himself. Thanks.

...:what:

what inspiration? Aside from the gods being man-made (in a very different way from Zelazny's faux Hindu pantheon) and reincarnation (in a very different way from the body merchants), I don't see it at all.

Also, pretty sure Tim Cain had next to nothing to do with the narrative design of Pillars.

Ysaye

Arbiter

The conclusion to this game could only be that if someone tries to point out something metaphysical, that the player would need to point out that they are logically mistaken. And of course then the player would ascend a ladder, only to remove it whilst still on it so that they can see things as they truly as they are. And then the player passes over the game world in silence, as nothing can be said.

Either that or the game involves you playing as Wittgenstein throwing insults at Russell for totally missing the point with his introduction, and then laughing he shoots all of the Vienna circle to demonstrate that there are indeed mystical metaphysical things that exist.

hilfazer

Scholar
I agree with TimCain that: “Roger Zelazny's "Lord Of Light" would make a great CRPG.”

So that's why Pillars of Eternity takes inspiration from Lord of Light. I wanted to know whose idea it was and it seems it was Tim Cain himself. Thanks.

...:what:

what inspiration? Aside from the gods being man-made (in a very different way from Zelazny's faux Hindu pantheon) and reincarnation (in a very different way from the body merchants), I don't see it at all.

Another one is some mysterious organization that sabotages invention of printing press.
Sawyer said this organization is more secret than Leaden Key. Sadly, I can't find where did he mention this.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Already done and it's wicked alright, something with a flying baby ;-)

Jokes aside, how comes Jack Vance isn't already listed ? Any of his books would make a great movie or RPG (no links, i'm assuming everyone knows about it, at least)

- Tschai series
- The Dying Earth series

Les chroniques crépusculaires & Abyme (Mathieu Gaborit) - Don't think it was translated though, a real shame.

Kull of Atlantis (Early Conan from R. E. Howard )

And so many more.
With so much material available and the plots we get, i'm guessing most game devs don't read much.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Isn't Tyranny sort of based on The Second Apocalypse by Banker? Evil God-like figure with demigod-like henchmen conquers the world

Nah, it's based on The Black Company. There's no spiritual dimension in Tyranny. Compared to the no-god and the exalt-emperor, Tyranny's villains are a bunch of pussycats. They just want to enslave or murder a few nations. Kyros is trying to rule the world, not cull the whole population down to 144,000 people. And there's no Dunyain mind control, either.

Have you read the latest book? That was quite the twist.

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik
Nah, it's based on The Black Company. There's no spiritual dimension in Tyranny. Compared to the no-god and the exalt-emperor, Tyranny's villains are a bunch of pussycats. They just want to enslave or murder a few nations. Kyros is trying to rule the world, not cull the whole population down to 144,000 people. And there's no Dunyain mind control, either.

Have you read the latest book? That was quite the twist.
Yes though the twist may straighten itself out. All part of the plan by our hero.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom