Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playing Betrayal at Krondor for the first time

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
:necro:

This is the closest thing we have as a "general thread" on that game.

I just started a game, first time playing this. I'm really liking it, but I'm fucking horrible at it. I keep trying to develop strategies for the fights, but it's irrelevant because more than half the attack miss and Owyn is useless. So it's basically Owyn defend while the two others keep hitting until I luckily hit.

Problem is, I'm trying to manage as best as I can my ressource, but now I'm just stuck. I'm in between Sarth and Krondor, and there is multiple fight. Problem is, Owyn is near-death and Locklear is hurt. If I just sleep it through, everybody catches poison and dies. So it's either I try to fight and I die, or I try to heal and I die. And TBH, I don't see where I did something wrong.

Any help or tips ?

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer

Re from the other thread:

I just started a game, first time playing this. I'm really liking it, but I'm fucking horrible at it. I keep trying to develop strategies for the fights, but it's irrelevant because more than half the attack miss and Owyn is useless. So it's basically Owyn defend while the two others keep hitting until I luckily hit.

Problem is, I'm trying to manage as best as I can my ressource, but now I'm just stuck. I'm in between Sarth and Krondor, and there is multiple fight. Problem is, Owyn is near-death and Locklear is hurt. If I just sleep it through, everybody catches poison and dies. So it's either I try to fight and I die, or I try to heal and I die. And TBH, I don't see where I did something wrong.

Any help or tips ?

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Bet at Krondor was my 2nd favorite rpg when I was a kid behind Darklands sun(before I played Fallout).

Not sure how I would feel playing it today, but it had one of the best stories in any game I played from what I remember.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
It's like the only combination of an exploration game and a complex narrative game.
What about Darklands and Daggerfall?

I never played Darklands sadly, but Daggerfall? Give me a break lol. The entire game was scraping through shitty randomly generated dungeons. On quests given by randomly generated characters, half of which would glitch and trap you inside them forever.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted

Any help or tips ?

It's probably better if you look it up yourself but I seem to remember if you go east to the forest on the map you can get alot of overpowered free shit. I never did it when I played it but I think it's a trick alot of people use.

I did beat the game but that was like 20 years ago and I don't remember much haha .

Don't know why but that was always some of my favorite battle music ever.

Neanderthal

Arcane

Any help or tips ?

Owyn starts with an extremely useful spell, use it first on the nearest opponent to him every fight multiple times if need be.
Sounds like your party are all injured: To combat this apply healing herbs and use restoratives to combat the injured state then rest immediately at an inn, Questers View is good and theres also a good trainer so retreat to there. Check your character screens to see if your healing is overcoming your injuries frequently, wounds are not something to be shrugged off, they matter.
The Moredhel know you are making for Krondor, perhaps heading straight into their traps and ambushes might not be wise, but thats up to you. Perfectly viable.
Theres a lot of interesting shit to explore, find and reveal in the kingdom of the Isles.
Trust nobody.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

Re from the other thread:

Any help or tips ?

Owyn isn't useless if you spam Avert Thine Eyes to CC one guy perpetually.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer

Any help or tips ?

Owyn starts with an extremely useful spell, use it first on the nearest opponent to him every fight multiple times if need be.
Sounds like your party are all injured: To combat this apply healing herbs and use restoratives to combat the injured state then rest immediately at an inn, Questers View is good and theres also a good trainer so retreat to there. Check your character screens to see if your healing is overcoming your injuries frequently, wounds are not something to be shrugged off, they matter.
The Moredhel know you are making for Krondor, perhaps heading straight into their traps and ambushes might not be wise, but thats up to you. Perfectly viable.
Theres a lot of interesting shit to explore, find and reveal in the kingdom of the Isles.
Trust nobody.
Yeah I figured it was a more dangerous road. But when I looked at the map, it seemed to take so much time to travel through the other way that I ended up deciding I would face the same amount of enemy.

I guess I'll just restart my playthrough.

You speak about the trainer, but he's asking for a lot of money. Where do you get money ? Most traders only buyback specific stuff, and not for a huge amount.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
If you fuck up one fight early on, it will keep haunting you through the chapter. So reload or start anew. BoK is of the old school design where it's entirely possible to make mistakes early that doom you later. Well, not so much in the later Chapters but in the first one, it does happen.

Neanderthal

Arcane
You speak about the trainer, but he's asking for a lot of money. Where do you get money ? Most traders only buyback specific stuff, and not for a huge amount.

Explore, unlock, loot, scavenge and leave no stone unturned. Standard crpg money making method. Moredhel Lampreys sell really nicely at the beginning. Search for better shops, personally I go north to start with.

Trying to stay vague and not spoil it too much for you.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Poseur detected.

I actually did play Betrayal at Krondor as a kid, and I remember enjoying it immensely, as well as (in retrospect) being bad at it. I haven't played it since the 1990s.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
>going straight from sarth to krondor
>not heeding the explicit warnings that there is an ambush coming

TBH I took another path first but I was told there was ambush there too, so I assumed all path had ambushed since the mage is magically spying on me.

If I just sleep it through, everybody catches poison and dies.

Player hint: check your rations.

Yeah I guess I can't pick everything and just use it right from the get go.

As far as Owyn goes RK47, I'll work on my magic handling.

Thanks everyone for the help, I'll restart a new campaign and try not to fail it this time. I love discovering stuff by myself, but I don't have as much time as when I was a kid to fuck-up 10 playthrough before getting it right.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
A lot of items have cool properties.
Just examine them all.
The devs really put in a lot of work on them. Be sure to check every single one.
And always go off the roads to check every nook and cranny, use the overhead map if you're disoriented.
When you know you're going into battle...open your character sheet and reassign all focus to battle skills for faster leveling.
Do the same when you are lockpicking.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I struggled through Chapter 1 the first time I played it as well. I think once you get through it, you'll understand the game well enough that the rest of it will give you an appropriate level of challenge.

As others have said, pay attention to your rations and take the opportunity to sleep in inns whenever possible. Some advice that works here as well as in the rest of the game: The most obvious, direct route is not always the best. You're actually given quite a bit of freedom to roam around and reach your destination in more than one way. Take as much time as you need to get there.

Mark Richard

Arcane
That's normal, they get a lot better with time. Right click character portraits to view their skills. The level of each skill is represented by a dozen swords which if clicked, will turn the pommel red and prioritise it. Concentrate on combat skills to start with such as Accy: Melee and Defence. I wouldn't worry about Accy: Melee for Owyn though, you can just throw in the occasional jab near the end of the fight to sure up his skill in that area.

A few more tidbits:

Have Owyn play his lute in taverns. As he gets better it becomes a reliable source of income.

Talk to every NPC and take every offer of training you can find.

The Skin of the Dragon spell is practically cheating.

Keep in mind that if you die in the game, you die in real life.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Krondor's general user-friendliness was way ahead of its time tbh. The controls are slim and intuitive, there are pop-up hints for everything, the general KBM layout and functions for menu navigation are all very 'modern', etc. It blows p. much all of its contemporaries out of the water, and as you said gives many recent ones a run for their money.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom