Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Dude there's been plenty of threads on this turd lol, you can easily search for it and find old peoples opinions on it.

Basically the first city in the game is ok which is a couple hours of interesting gameplay. The rest of the game is a really shitty diablo style game for whatever reason. I think there were mixed signals on what interplay wanted.

The game also became extremely hard and not in a good way so I never finished it.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It uses Special but with realtime and paus. You control one character. So it's kind of like Bethesdas Fallouts.

I really like the settting though. It would be cool if someone could buy it from Interplay and do something with it.

e: But this thread should be locked. There are already thousands of Lionheart topics. One of the first threads I ever created back in 2009 was about Lionheart for example.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
It has S.P.E.C.I.A.L system(Fallout), it has diplomatic ending(like Fallout). Loot system is broken - reload till you get good item(=Fun). Second town, Montaillou - last bastion of Catharism, is good too. (In)famous Chris Avellone worked on it(according to wiki). It was pretty fun when i played it back when.

Shadenuat

Arcane
It has some cool fun things and xp systems and character building which only matters in about 1/3 of the game. It's somewhat fun though so you should try it if you never played it.

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:

I finished this recently, and I have a Codex lore question for oldfags or Infinitron about the credits: anybody knows why flip flopper Rex and Saint_Proverbius are thanked in there?

5Oev36n.png

Bonus Roguey question: do you know what was specially designed by Avellone and Sawyer in this not very :balance: game?

Edit: I completely forgot there was an interview about this https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10505 :M

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Bonus Roguey question: do you know what was specially designed by Avellone and Sawyer in this not very :balance: game?

Sawyer said:
My involvement was minimal. I proposed some ideas for conflicts, factions, and a few other things. I don't think much (if any) of what I proposed was used other than minor Cathar involvement. I think the end result was a confused game because it didn't ever seem to fully embrace being in a historical setting.

Greek Anime God

Scholar
Playing this gem right now and let me tell you something shocking, it's a better game than the first two Fallout games. The setting is much more compelling, the combat is fast so when it throws more on you it doesn't slow down to an ant crawl, the art is high resolution enough to allow for details to show.

Greek Anime God

Scholar
What do you mean "no", Infinitron? It uses the same systems as Fallout only with everything that annoyed me about that game cut out. If you start a fight in the city you don't have to wait for each citizen to slowly walk across the screen. I know the Mad Max thing wasn't played out when Fallout released but at this point I think it is, the alt history setting makes a huge difference and feels fresh even now. Playing this game is a revelation just like Icewind Dale was, ID was Baldur's Gate without the cringe and the fat removed. There was reactivity and quests, but it was more to the point, sending you to dungeons and encounters instead of offering filler open world content like BG1 or TL;DR stories like in BG2. Lionheart does the same to Fallout, dunking the nuclear apocalypse in the toilet after giving it an atomic wedgie.

vazha

Arcane
OK, keep playing!
how can this game possibly turn bad? Okay, so I'm still in Barcelona, b.
Very easily. As soon as you leave Barcelona, its a downhill slope. Second town, as already mentioned, is quite well done too, but not up to Barcelona's standards. The first 2 hours of the game are superb, the less is said about the rest the better.

rusty_shackleford Also, are you above using the search button good man? There are like dozens of threads on this one and probably about 500 posts strewn about in various threads, mostly of "missed chances & flawed gems" variety.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with SPECIAL + real-time combat.
Lionheart issues lies in overabundance of trash combat and weird balance. By weird balance i mean you can get teleported to a space island with an enemy you need to kite for 10 minutes and as a reward you will get 3xp which is vastly less than what one slow moving bee you can safely shoot from a distance can give you.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
SPECIAL system do not go well with diablo like trash combat. It just doesn't.

They botched the transition from turn based to real time, apart from that there's no problem that exists outside the heads of Fallout fanboys.

This one is a worthy candidate for the remake industry. If some things are fixed (actually usable henchmen, better timed combat, itemization), they could even leave the second half of the game intact and I could put up with that.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
So many damn Lionheart threads they should just be combined. Anyway, at first I was looking for the oldest thread (yeah not doing that again else it is ban land for my old skull-brained self). But then, I wondered "Lionheart? Wth?" If I recall it used to be a boardgame but I could be mistaken. I found a not terribly old review besides the ones here. I mean codex can spring from insightful to full retard so reviews you take with a pinch of salt.

I seem to own it on GOG (not surprising considering my 2021 game hoarding) and reviews mirror as said on codex "beginning ok... then decline!

It still has a $9.99 pricetag.

Boardgamegeek Lionheart
SVLGlbh.jpg

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
My old impression is a confused design between Crusading/Christianity theme with Holy Roman Empire theme, then conflict with the idea to do Ottoman Empire.

All three are very niche and not that marketable~ So a combined desire of all three is a mess, as expected

Anyway, getting out of Barcelona just make me losing interest right there and then. Think of Fallout New Vegas with only the Vegas area (freeside, westside, southern at McCarran, and the Strip).

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
I loved the setting of this game, it continues to fascinate me with its potential to this day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom