Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rune II: Decapitation Edition - abandoned by Human Head Studios, still causing drama

frajaq

Erudite
looks like a scuffed god of war

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/120888-rune-e3-2018-previews.html'

Human Head Studios' Rune, formerly known as Rune: Ragnarok, sequel to Rune, had a hands-on demo at this year's E3, and now we can read a few previews that came out of that. To start us off, PC Gamer describes Rune as a sandbox survival action-RPG, which is a stark departure from the original Rune's linear adventure, and praises the game's robust dismemberment mechanics. An excerpt:

Rune is Human Head Studios' return to the world of what is now called Rune Classic, the hack-and-slash Viking action adventure game released in 2000. Now Human Head is taking its Vikings into the open world survival RPG genre. Servers will support up to 64 players at a time, but there will also be an option for playing solo on a private server. I got a look at the basics of Rune with an alpha build at E3.

After some character creation (I focused mostly on selecting my tattoos and facial hair), we began on one island but quickly found a viking longship—which you'll be able to craft—and sailed to another. Armed with just an axe and shield I did battle with some NPC vikings, giants, and a few other nasty creatures, though after swapping my axe for an enormous flaming sword I was introduced to a fun feature of Rune: you can throw your weapons, any and all of them, whenever you want.

[...]

I wish I'd had a bit more time with Rune: the combat was gory, fast-paced, and fun, and the map showed a world dotted with many more islands than the two I got to visit. Rune is headed for a closed beta (with both PvP and PvE servers) on June 23, and plans to enter Steam Early Access later in the year.​

Then, Variety seems to imply that despite being a predominantly online experience the new Rune will nevertheless feature some story-focused content:

“Rune: Ragnarok” does have the potential to be one of the most full-fledged Viking experiences in games right now, it has most features that players could ask for in a Norse focused power fantasy. Sailable long boats that can be engaged in ocean warfare, formidable giants that can kill you with the snap of their fingers, classic role playing elements, and a personalizable story that matches your playstyle with an almighty god.

“You’re getting more story beyond what happened to Ragnar in the original “Rune,”” Rhinehart added. “You don’t have to have played the original to be able to enjoy “Ragnarok,” and we hope fans of the original will mesh with the modern mechanics that we’ve added.”​

And Gamer Assault Weekly offers a general overview of the demo and shares some alpha screenshots:

Rune centers on one goal, to search the land for Loki, kill the Trickster God, and end Ragnarok. Set in an open-world the player will journey through the Norse universe in search of the Loki while gaining favor with the god they’ve chosen to ally with. It still needs a lot of work but Rune looks like a promising RPG fully of content worth exploring.
First off, players get to create their own character and ally themselves with a specific Norse God. Each one provides different bonuses and in this world where gods, beasts, and the remaining humans kill without mercy. You’re going to need all the help you can get especially if you head into a PvP server. Throughout the adventure, your allied God will provide specific quests to aid in your journey and by doing these objectives you’ll gain more favor from them.​

Big Wrangle

Guess it's no wonder they named it the same as the original. Make the average people think it's a new IP , until someone informs them the original was a thing and of a different design focus.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
To imagine I was somewhat excited about this :lol:
Not that I don't like survival games (enjoying the hell out of Empyrion right now), but Rune??? Come on...

Edit: Oh god, I went to the forums and the first thing I saw was demand for a Battle Royale mode.
Yeah, this game is dead to me.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What is that? The perspective reminds me of old Rune but is this supposed to be the new Rune?

If so, i commend them for keeping the jank early 3D perspective.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.runeragnarok.com/the-journey-continues/

The Journey Continues
08 / 02 / 18

Screen_Final_05_800x418.jpg

Our voyage into Closed Beta was as bountiful as it was bloody. Community members from all realms convened on Midgard to battletest the lands and destroy their enemies. Over the past few weeks, the team has poured their blood, sweat, and tears (yes, Vikings cry) into Rune. August will be filled with big announcements, more playtests, and action-packed updates. Later this month, brave warriors will once again set foot on Midgard and see significant updates including;

AI Enhancements
Our AI has been overhauled with a wider arrange of attack options (including lunges and jump attacks), the ability to dodge and block incoming attacks, the power to harness Rune abilities, and an arsenal of weapons that can be switched mid-fight. If you weren’t playing with friends before, you’ll want to during the next battle.

Combat Improvements
Towards the end of Closed Alpha, directional attacks and combos mimicking Rune Classic were added. Now, dodges will function similarly to Rune Classic (meaning you can attack during a dodge and dodges won’t cancel attacks). We’ve also improved combo button press timing, improved weapon hitboxes, adjusted animation speeds, and made combat feel much smoother by reducing rubberbanding when playing online.

Clans
Your Viking prayers have been answered and the next battle will include a clan system. Group up with friends to take down the biggest enemies or attack rival Vikings without dismembering your friends in the process. (We see you Rune Classic fans.)

Stability
We’re always working on fixing bugs, improving server stability, and optimization. Expect to see significant ship stability improvements during the next battle – sail around Midgard to your heart’s content. (Providing you find the resources to craft your ship.)

We’re excited to continue building this game with you. We’ll announce the next battle as soon as we’re ready to get your feedback on some of our new features (a new UI, maybe?). Stay up to date with our development by checking us out on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or signing up for our newsletter. I think we still have some beta keys laying around…

ADL

Prophet
Been testing this for several weeks and I've been having loads of fun with it. Combat was extremely basic but now they're addressing that. If they can add some cross server progression similar to Dark & Light and ARK and turn it into something resembling an MMO instead of just a basic server-based survival game, I'd really be into it.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom