Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard working on next Diablo project

abija

Prophet
Oh, the combat is more fluid and responsive in D3, alright.
I just don't see how that matters if the entire rest of the game is completely trivial.
Infinite difficulty content cannot be trivial.

Grind?
In a hack & slash game?
Preposterous!

Grind doesn't imply trivial and the blitz around 1 shotting 2 screens of mobs was only exacerbated in such degree in PoE because casuals love it. The difficult content (as little as there is) requires more and more grind while the difficulty during said grind is lower and lower.

Also epic words coming from someone who posted this 4 months ago: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?posts/5506862/
After the discourse on grinding from someone struggling to get past an act, please tell us more about D3 grifts being trivial because you heard a meme on twitch and how difficulty ramps up in poe at lvl 40...

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also epic words coming from someone who posted this 4 months ago: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?posts/5506862/
After the discourse on grinding from someone struggling to get past an act, please tell us more about D3 grifts being trivial because you heard a meme on twitch and how difficulty ramps up in poe at lvl 40...
So because I posted getting past level 40 four months ago, you think I... what? Don't know about the end game by now?
How slow do you think I play or gather information? :lol:

Nothing I posted then is wrong, btw. The difficulty curve around that level is known and, afaik, intended.
It isn't exactly unheard of that people restart their char once getting there the first time. I didn't. (Should have, though, my char was really suboptimal).

To be fair, I stop playing games like these once I'm through with the story content & difficulties and maybe did a few extras after that (and after a year or two, I do it again).
But that is more than enough to know about the meta and what the "true" end game would be - you gather all of that while you dig into game resources, forums, etc. It's not exactly rocket science.

This is already in hilarious contrast to Diablo 3 where I just blasted through the story and some difficulties (don't ask me where I stopped, I really cannot remember).
Didn't have to look up a single thing.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Guys, guys, gays!!!!! Let you not fight!!!! Come together and accept that ALL H&S is but a crass parody of RPG, a autistic ADHD shitfest of clicking one fucken butten for X amount of hours grindan those .01% stat increases ad infinitum!

There are no winners or losers among you all. The only way to win is not to play!

abija

Prophet
To be fair, I stop playing games like these once I'm through with the story content & difficulties and maybe did a few extras after that (and after a year or two, I do it again).
But that is more than enough to know about the meta and what the "true" end game would be - you gather all of that while you dig into game resources, forums, etc. It's not exactly rocket science.

Codex, where people debate about things they know nothing about but are 100% sure they deducted right.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Codex, where people debate about things they know nothing about but are 100% sure they deducted right.
Codex, where one person seems to think you absolutely must spend months in the end game of Diablo clones to know how the end game of Diablo clones work.
There cannot be any other way to gain that knowledge :lol:

But hey, I'm happy for you that you finally found a reason not having to produce any arguments to prove your point - not that you were ever capable of that.

Guys, guys, gays!!!!! Let you not fight!!!! Come together and accept that ALL H&S is but a crass parody of RPG, a autistic ADHD shitfest of clicking one fucken butten for X amount of hours grindan those .01% stat increases ad infinitum!

There are no winners or losers among you all. The only way to win is not to play!
I even agree for the most part. But every now and then, autistic ADHD shitfests are exactly what one needs. At least I do...

But there is a way to win: Just don't play the grind and stop when done with the actual content.
And then keep on reading forums and build videos for continued amusement :)

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

I miss when Diablo and Diabloclones weren't these ultra fucky "kill the entire screen in 1 second" firework exhibitions.

To me, Diablo 1 is still the best game of its type. Cool theme, great atmosphere and just enough item variation to justify a few different playthroughs.

Full-on ADHD hundred-item drop spazzfests aren't my cup of tea at all, I just fall asleep when trying to play any recent Diablo-like games. It's like they're designed to be played while doing some other activity simultaneously, which is probably true for a lot of more 'modern' game designs. Fuck that.

Stefan Vujovic

Educated
To me, Diablo 1 is still the best game of its type. Cool theme, great atmosphere and just enough item variation to justify a few different playthroughs.

Full-on ADHD hundred-item drop spazzfests aren't my cup of tea at all, I just fall asleep when trying to play any recent Diablo-like games. It's like they're designed to be played while doing some other activity simultaneously, which is probably true for a lot of more 'modern' game designs. Fuck that.

Ahhh Diablo 1, what a game. Was so pumped for Diablo 2 when it was announced only to be disappointed how different it was from its predecessor. With all due respect for Diablo 2, which was hell of a game, but i always preferred the much darker tone and atmosphere of the 1st one. To be honest even Diablo 1 music i find superior with its eerie mix between background music and ambient sound. Well Diablo 2 did improve on almost every aspect of the game play part but lost what made Diablo well Diablo, at least for me. And fuck Diablo 4. Where is my Warcraft 4 you WOW cow milking Blizzard / Activision faggots, probably never gonna see it, considering how they butchered the Warcraft universe with its 20th WOW expansion on the way. Oh well... One can only dream...

Generic-Giant-Spider

D2 was a great game, but it wasn't to that same level that D1 was. The issue with D2 (especially when LOD released) and D3 along with all its clones is that these games began to lean towards "loot hunting" and everything else took a backseat. D1 had more of a horror based atmosphere, it actually felt like a proper dark, gothic fantasy game.

Tristram itself was visually and atmospherically awesome. It felt like some secluded, medieval times European village that had some eerie shit going down beneath the very ground you walked on. I don't know, the whole thing felt very mysterious and foreboding especially the further down you went the more you were literally descending into Hell. The music with all the drumming and distant wails amped the intensity and serious tone and those sound effects when you'd kill shit was glorious.

My favourite thing is something many others dislike: your guy would walk instead of running a marathon. They didn't know what to expect, there was darkness all around and you could vaguely see shapes take form in the shadows the more you approached. If you tried to rush through mindlessly you'd be in a room full of undead and demons that would tear your shit up in no time. There was one enemy in particular that was invisible and would appear out of nowhere when you'd pause for a moment and in no time you'd see them surround you, I also recall there being some enemies that would permanently fuck your character up as well as shrines that would do the same to your attributes. They all had those cryptic messages and you'd have to figure out back then exactly what it just did.

D2 did have a more fun PVP/multiplayer scene though, the amount of social engineering you could do would make any conman blush. D1 was pretty fucked from the get-go since hacks and cheat engines ran rampant, and I personally think it works better as a single player experience. And while I also prefer D1's soundtrack, D2 did have some great music in its OST. Lut Ghoelin and the Harem in particular.

J1M

Arcane
What I liked about Diablo I and II was the atmosphere and the adventure. The continued developer misconception that the game was always intended as a slot-machine proxy is infuriating.

abija

Prophet
D2 was always intended that way and the next one that they didn't agree with Blizzard and left was supposed to be a lot more mmoish (think Marvel Heroes)

ArchAngel

Arcane
D2 was always intended that way and the next one that they didn't agree with Blizzard and left was supposed to be a lot more mmoish (think Marvel Heroes)
Well they made Hellgate London after leaving Blizzard.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Well they made Hellgate London after leaving Blizzard.
Wasn't that also single player with subscription and mmo-lite features?

I think you need to pay for extra content but that never bewn fully implanted since game bombed hard.
I actually liked Hellgate: London.
Or rather, I liked what it could have been.

The closest thing is Borderlands - and that is one of the most fun games for co-op (only beaten by Vermintide) - but Borderlands is far more action-oriented.
Hellgate: London was way more character and stats focused. The shooting and combat was more indirect (maybe a BIT like Morrowind, as I fail to find a better comparison) and overall you had a much better feeling of control via character build.
Maybe imagine it like Borderlands with a much stronger RPG in the Action-RPG mix.

Of course, there were all the bugs, glitches and subscription confusions, so it is no surprise that it died quickly.

Too bad no other game was ever developed truly like it.
If THAT was the direction of the new Diablo, I'd say "well, hello there!".
But let's not kid ourselves, it will be high-polished casual stuff. Maybe with some additional twitching action to make it esports-capable.

Sykar

Arcane
D1 had more of a horror based atmosphere
:nocountryforshitposters:
Take your pills, old man.

Where was he wrong? Few games current and past approach the great atmosphere of D1 though I do consider D2 to be overall the superior game despite not as atmospheric though still good in that department.

D3 by contrast is pure decline in almost every regard sans graphics and controls. Though art direction also took a steep decline. I have never seen a game which tries to be that gory to look so cartoonish. It is an almost confusing dichotomy.

Sykar

Arcane
He said combat gameplay feeling is better, you list 3 paragraphs of unrelated stuff.
Also, D3 solo grift pushing is more intense than anything in PoE so cut the superiority bullshit.

Yeah PoE is more complex (way way more) but translated in gameplay it devolves mostly in a dumb aoe fest. D3's builds are actually more varied even if they tried to copy the PoE blitz aoe spam a bit too much.

There's no competition though atm, PoE is actively developed and kept fresh, D3 has been on life support for couple of years.

Only absolute top end builds+gear let you play like this at the highest level.
D3 on the other hand is streamlined degenerate shit where every build boils down to almost the exact same formula:

Gear: Above everything chose the set or the set combination you want to play. More than anything sets determine your playstyle.
Attributes: Max your main stat, get crit and crit damage, get as much vitality, armor and all resist with some revovery. If you have space left, get CDR or AS whatever you need more.

Skills: Chose a main ability(spender), get generator, get a buff, a movement ability and a defensive/cc ability. Passives, get damage and your avoid death passive, done.

On top of all of this damage types are completely and utterly meaningless. There are no resistances and physical, elemental and poison damage are entirely interchangeable unlike in PoE were certain monster types have more resistant to certain damage types. Health Recovery is the exact same. Damage absorption effects are short immunity, damage reduction which is percentage based or shields which are vitality scaled and that's it. Thanks to shields being flat they are quickly obsolete and percentage based damage reduction and damage immunities reign supreme for the most part.

Complexity and depth are about puddle level. Even D2 had more intricacies than this bullcrap.

The worst part of D3 is the endless scaling. Who likes this shit where at some point even a damn fly can one shot you? It is utterly trite and retarded. And for what do you get new gear which is nothing but minor stat upgrades? So you can push rifts a little more where you get one shot by trash all the same again and you play exactly the same again.

Generic-Giant-Spider

The gear in D3 is really uninteresting, considering how "loot hunting" is so heavily pushed as being the big thing. A lot of the best stuff comes down to overinflating the shit out of a couple skills. Here's how to make a class viable in D3: take three or four random skills, increase its damage by 4000%, add in a cheat death passive. You're ready to greater rift push.

And greater rifts are lame too. That sort of time attack shit may appeal to the current crop of thin-limbed retards that happily toss money to watch people play video games, but it's uninspired power creeping. Bring that rush-rush-rush attitude to D1 Hell and you'll get fourteen Black Knight swords up your ass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom