Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vampyr - vampire action-RPG from Life Is Strange devs

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
We need more proper Vampyre themed crpgs, like Bloodlines. I mean HARDCORE CRPGS !
Which make something brutal to the genre like this young 17 japanese warrior killing politic with sword live on TV

Codex Year of the Donut
We need more proper Vampyre themed crpgs, like Bloodlines. I mean HARDCORE CRPGS !
Which make something brutal to the genre like this young 17 japanese warrior killing politic with sword live on TV

Greatest anime takedowns of all time
cjvnwq.jpg

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
We need good fucking ghost, vampyre, grim dark stories like this one in vampyre themed crpgs, and crpgs at all

Elisa Lam was real person , founded dead in Cecil Hotel at L.A., roof water tank, case was never solved.

Hotel is based at Skid Row district, and was used earlier by two famous US serial killers, Richard Ramirez and Jack Unterweger. And guess who was seen in hotel's bar before her death ?

ELizabeth' Short. Yeah, famous Black Dahlia was last seen here before her death .

Watch this disturbing and creepy moments in the elevator , at night that girl gon missing.
Cecil Hotel , changed name to Stay on Main , becouse owner tried to free himself of bad karma this hotel had.
it's Panorama hotel folks …. and its real....like The Shining counterpart.
It was built at 1924 and opened during 1927 Great Crisis in the part of the LA called Fashion District.
There were around 20 or more sucides there, plus some murders.

hotel-cecil-1024x768.jpg

This HOTEL's eats:
  • On November 19, 1931, Manhattan Beach resident W. K. Norton, 46, was found dead in his room after ingesting poison capsules. A week prior, Norton had checked into the Cecil under the name "James Willys," from Chicago. Norton's death appears to be the earliest known suicide at the hotel.[1]
  • In September 1932, a maid found Benjamin Dodich, 25, dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. He did not leave a suicide note.[1]
  • In late July 1934, former Army Medical Corps Sgt. Louis D. Borden, 53, was found dead in his room at the Cecil. He had slashed his throat with a razor. Borden left several notes, one of which cited poor health as the reason for his suicide.[1]
  • In March 1937, Grace E. Magro fell from a ninth story window. Her fall was broken by telephone wires which were wrapped around her body. She later died at the now-demolished Georgia Street Receiving Hospital. Police were unable to determine whether Magro's death was the result of an accident or suicide.[1]
  • In January 1938, Marine fireman Roy Thompson, 35, jumped from Cecil's top floor and was found on the skylight of a neighboring building. He had been staying at the Cecil for several weeks.[1]
  • In May 1939, Navy officer Erwin C. Neblett, 39, of the USS Wright was found dead in his room after ingesting poison.[1]
  • In January 1940, teacher Dorothy Sceiger, 45, ingested poison while staying at the Cecil and was reported by the Los Angeles Times to be "near death." No further reports were published about Sceiger's condition.[1]
  • In September 1944, Dorothy Jean Purcell, 19, was sharing a room at the Cecil with shoe salesman Ben Levine, 38. Purcell, who had apparently been unaware that she was pregnant, went into labor. Purcell later testified that she did not want to disrupt a sleeping Levine, so she went to the bathroom where she gave birth to a baby boy. Thinking the baby was dead, Purcell threw him out of the window where he landed on the roof of an adjacent building. Purcell was charged with murder. Three psychiatrists (then known as "alienists") testified that Purcell was "mentally confused" at the time of the incident. In January 1945, she was found not guilty by reason of insanity.[1]
  • In November 1947, Robert Smith, 35, died after jumping from one of Cecil's seventh-floor windows.[1]
  • On October 22, 1954, San Francisco stationery firm employee Helen Gurnee, 55, jumped from the window of her seventh-floor room and landed on top of Cecil's marquee. One week prior, she had registered at the hotel under the name "Margaret Brown."[1]
  • On February 11, 1962, Julia Frances Moore, 50, jumped from the window of her eighth-floor room and landed in a second-story interior light well. Moore did not leave a suicide note. Among her possessions were a bus ticket from St. Louis, 59 cents in change, and an Illinois bank book showing a balance of $1,800.[1]
  • On October 12, 1962, Pauline Otton, 27, jumped from the window of her ninth floor room after an argument with her estranged husband Dewey. Dewey had left the room prior to Otton's suicide. Otton landed on a pedestrian, George Gianinni, 65, killing them both instantly. As there were no witnesses, police initially thought Otton and Gianinni committed suicide together. However, it was soon determined that Gianinni had his hands in his pockets at the time of his death and he was still wearing shoes. Had he jumped, his shoes would have likely fallen off during the fall or upon impact.[1]
  • On June 4, 1964, a hotel worker discovered "Pigeon Goldie" Osgood, a retired telephone operator, dead in her room. She had been raped, stabbed and beaten and her room was ransacked. Osgood was well known around the area and had earned her nickname because she fed birds in nearby Pershing Square. Near her body was the Los Angeles Dodgers cap she always wore and a paper sack full of birdseed. Hours after her murder, Jacques B. Ehlinger, 29, was seen walking through Pershing Square, the area in which Osgood fed birds, in bloodstained clothing. He was arrested and charged with Osgood's murder, but was later cleared of the crime. Osgood's murder remains unsolved.[1]
  • On December 20, 1975, a still unidentified woman jumped from her twelfth-floor window onto the Cecil's second-floor roof. She had registered at the hotel on December 16.[2]
  • On February 19, 2013, the naked[3] body of Elisa Lam, a 21-year-old Canadian student, was found inside one of the water supply tanks on the hotel roof. Lam had gone missing almost three weeks earlier, on January 31, 2013. Her decomposing body was discovered by a maintenance worker in one of the rooftop water tanks, after guests had complained about low water pressure and water that "tasted funny".[4][5] Authorities later ruled Lam's death as an accidental drowning. Video surveillance footage taken from inside an elevator shortly before her disappearance showed Lam acting strangely, pressing multiple elevator buttons, hiding in the corner of the elevator, and waving her arms wildly, causing widespread speculation about the cause of her death.[6] After the elevator video was made public, many theories arose about Lam's death. Lam was reported to have had bipolar disorder, for which she was prescribed various medications, which could have contributed to her death as well as her strange behavior in the elevator.[7]
  • On June 13, 2015, the body of a 28-year-old male was found outside the hotel. Some conjectured he may have committed suicide by jumping from the hotel, though a spokesperson for the county coroner informed the Los Angeles Times that the cause of death had not been determined.[8]
Thus it would appear that there have been at least sixteen deaths at the Cecil, resulting from non-natural causes: either as a result of suicide, accident or murder. This excludes the 1940 case of Dorothy Sceiger who was reported to be in a critical condition after ingesting poison at the hotel. There is no further reportage as to whether she died as a result.

The Cecil has also been connected with several well-known murders:

Elizabeth Short, a murder victim dubbed by the media as "the Black Dahlia", is one of Los Angeles' best known unsolved murders. Short was reportedly seen at the Cecil's bar in the days shortly before her murder in January 1947. However, this information remains disputed.[9]

The Cecil has been the reported residence for serial killers Richard Ramirez in 1985 and Jack Unterweger in 1991.

Last edited:

Adon

Arcane
I recently started playing this, and while the combat is a bit of a bore after a few hours in, I've been enjoying the game.

I charmed Nurse Crane as it seemed like the best option (it just seemed like it'll make her forget the whole thing with Lady Ashburn) but it turns out this actually gives out a worse outcome than simply telling her to resign? How does that make sense from a story perspective given that conversation that takes place right before where she says she won't stop blackmailing Lady Ashburn? And apparently this option has her eventually selling you items. I feel like I missed something here because this makes no sense.

frajaq

Erudite
I recently started playing this, and while the combat is a bit of a bore after a few hours in, I've been enjoying the game.

I charmed Nurse Crane as it seemed like the best option (it just seemed like it'll make her forget the whole thing with Lady Ashburn) but it turns out this actually gives out a worse outcome than simply telling her to resign? How does that make sense from a story perspective given that conversation that takes place right before where she says she won't stop blackmailing Lady Ashburn? And apparently this option has her eventually selling you items. I feel like I missed something here because this makes no sense.

Yeah the exact same thing happened to me, and I was similarly confused about it
If it makes you feel better
you can still get the best ending even though she turned into an undead

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

That's because the dialogue wheel cannot accommodate the entirety of a single paragraph.
I'm sure we'll solve this limitation by 4018. Right now what we have here is technological limitation holding us back.

Tao

Savant
It was obvious the "correct" option was spare her. It's a SJW game after all :lol:

Beside you get the hint earlier by reading a note on your office. (Even tho later, when opting
to compel Trump, he should have gone insane too following the game logic as he is lvl6 and you are lvl5,
but then again the "correct" option was obvious too)

Hobo Elf

Arcane
There's definitely some heavy level scaling going on here. Saw a picture where the final boss was level 30 versus the player who was level 28. For me the boss was at least 10 levels above me. What the fug. I could barely do any damage at all because of the severe level difference and I eventually lost due to being slowly whittled down.

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
There's definitely some heavy level scaling going on here. Saw a picture where the final boss was level 30 versus the player who was level 28. For me the boss was at least 10 levels above me. What the fug. I could barely do any damage at all because of the severe level difference and I eventually lost due to being slowly whittled down.
Did you eat a lot of npc?Cause it seems that the boss gets additional levels for each person you eat.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Did you eat a lot of npc?Cause it seems that the boss gets additional levels for each person you eat.

I ate a ton of people because I could feel like I was at the very end of the game. Guess I really screwed myself over.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Need some help.

I'm on chapter 3 and I have to meet a guy on the docks (middle part of the docks I believe). I know where he is since I have talked to the people that lives in the area, but I can't approach that part of the docks. Every route in there is blocked. What have I missed?

Big Wrangle

One thing I always found weird about this game is that sucking more blood makes you look like shit, with all the bloodshot eyes and scars. Shouldn't it be the other way around? The drier you are the sicker you look. Like yeah drinking blood to look better has become a trope, but it works.

ortucis

Prophet
I didn't read the other posts here. So is this game close to Bloodlines or not? Can we finally romance a Nosferatu?

I only saw one gameplay video of this months ago. Didn't really look like something with many choices. It gives you few choices during certain moments, but nothing ground-breaking. Felt like it'd actually give less dialogue options as well (compared to Bloodlines). At least that's the impression I got.

PS: Is there a hilarious moment where some lesbian you know rolls out on a wheelchair? I hadn't laughed like that in a game before.

Sentinel

Arcane
Does anyone else think Vampyr has been one of the dullest games in the history of RPGs? Each chapter following the vampire doctor and his acquaintances from London as they fight the plague has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the grim imagery, the game’s only consistency has been its lack of excitement in combat and the ineffective use of dialogue trees, all to make interactions inconsequential, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Dontnod vetoed the idea of customizing your character outside of spells and abilities; they made sure the game would never be mistaken for anything other than a visual novel glued in with a combat that serves as a poor imitation of From Software’s Bloodborne.

The Vampyr game might be profitable (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines in its refusal of choice, branching, and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

a-at least the npcs were good though r-right

"No!"

The writing is dreadful; the quests were terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time the MC was introduced to a new NPC, the character once again presented itself as “Dr Johnatan Reid, recently returned from the war and investigating a cure for the plague.”

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. The writers’ mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that they have no other style of writing.

Later I read a lavish, loving review of the game on RPG Codex. Someone wrote something to the effect of, "If these casuals are playing Vampyr at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to play games made by Obsidian. And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you play "Vampyr" you are, in fact, trained to play Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire.

Everything you say is true.
They got the atmosphere right, but not much else.
you are replying to pasta.

frajaq

Erudite
ive missed memo about it being launched. Can someone give me tl;dr;/link whether it is good?

has some nice ideas and has excellent atmosphere but is plagued by wonky combat, scaling enemies, excessive dialogue (if you're the type that talks to NPCs a lot in a completionist way prepare to talk a lot), respawning enemies

choice and consequence is mostly limited to the the pillars of each community, and the people that have relations to each other. The main difference between final endings is based on the number of people you embrace (besides enemies in combat)

its a solid 6.5/10 game, buy on sale I guess

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
ive missed memo about it being launched. Can someone give me tl;dr;/link whether it is good?
Seems to be all over the board. Lotta people are getting triggered by one little thing, a few are more soberly pointing out legit criticism of larger issues, others are overlooking flaws and having an excellent time. I'm personally at the "wait for $20 sale" level based on what I've read.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Feels like a low budget action rpg. Which it is, and as it is it works fine. Nothing stellar though, and I feel they could've done a lot more with the setting and premisis. Still, kudos for them trying. Game is not nearly as bad as I anticipated.

But goddamn, do I long for an actual finished and unrushed sequel to VTMB.

Wesp5

Arcane
The main difference between final endings is based on the number of people you embrace (besides enemies in combat)

So if you kill a citizen you actually embrace them? Because the enemies in combat just seem to die...

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The main difference between final endings is based on the number of people you embrace (besides enemies in combat)

So if you kill a citizen you actually embrace them? Because the enemies in combat just seem to die...

The only way to kill a citizen is to embrace them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom