Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Rise and Fall of Embracer (aka THQ Nordic)

Baron Dupek

Arcane
If that mean Techland stop doing zombie trash and do something else, like another Call of Juarez, return to Chrome (or their old IPs) or resume development of Dark Messiah-like first person action RPG then I call it incline.

Freespace 3? If Aquanox3 is developed then why not this.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
They've got more bullets to shoot, and want to buy more: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-06-14-thq-noridc-completes-share-issue-worth-usd168m

THQ Noridc completes share issue worth $168m
Major acquisition plans afoot with flash sale of 7.7 million shares

THQ Nordic has raised $168 million from a directed share issue as it gears up to finance a series of acquisitions.

The company announced today that it has issued 7.7 million Class B shares at $21.85 each in an accelerated book-building procedure -- essentially a flash sale to raise quick capital ahead of acquisitions -- led by Carnegie Investment bank.

Deviating from shareholders' preferential rights, THQ Nordic opted to diversify its subscribers with the move and "raise capital in a time efficient manner".

In a statement, THQ Nordic said it intends to use the proceeds on acquiring new franchises, game development studios, and toward "other objectives which complement the operations, and enable higher rate of investment in the development of the company".

The completion of the directed share issue increases the number of outstanding shares and votes by 7.7 million to 88 million and 169 million respectively.

As part of the share issue CEO Lars Wingefors and CFO Erik Stenberg have commitmented not to sell their shareholdings during a lock-up period of 180 days.

deuxhero

Arcane
Also in THQ Nordic news (well almost 2 months old, but but I don't think anyone has mentioned it on the Codex yet).

Saints Row 2 really deserves a non-shit PC port (with mod support), and 1 would be a nice bonus.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
First shot after the reload, some German studio specialized in mobile and VR:

THQ Nordic acquires a bedrock of the German industry: HandyGames

Vienna/AUSTRIA, Giebelstadt/GERMANY, July 9, 2018: THQ Nordic GmbH today announced that the acquisition of HandyGames, headquartered in Giebelstadt, Germany, has been finalized. Simultaneously, THQ Nordic AB has acquired all IPs and Franchises, like Townsmen or Clouds and Sheep among others, from ze Germans. The management team, all employees, as well as the location will be preserved.

“Both our companies have a very similar DNA when it comes to business conduct, corporate culture and other aspects, such as valuing our independence, whilst at the same time operating in a bigger, corporate network”, said Markus Kassulke and Christopher Kassulke, the CEO brotherhood of HandyGames. “In becoming part of the THQ Nordic group, not only did we find a team that is passionate about publishing great content, but also has the right framework for us for the following years to come.”

“It is a true win-win situation for all parties involved, as HandyGames perfectly complements the setup of the rest of our group as the new “go to”-publisher for small- and midsized developers and projects and will benefit from our network and infrastructure in return. In joining forces with HandyGames, THQ Nordic is tapping into the VR Games segment, and gains access to one of Europe´s most powerful mobile games distribution network“, comments Klemens Kreuzer, Managing Director at THQ Nordic GmbH. “So we raise our glass and welcome HandyGames to the THQ Nordic crew.”

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I don't know how, but acquiring Darksiders seems to have given Nordic a massive confidence boost and they started aiming big ever since. It might not be a bad thing to see the rise of more mid-size publishers what with Focus Home Interactive also taking major strides recently.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Focus Home and THQ Nordic are two of my favorite publishers because they don't have absurd amounts of DRM, they support smaller AAA studios and are generally a hub of actual creativity. Deep Silver will more than likely follow suit now, after THQ Nordic bought them out and can now tard wrangle them into their senses and stop the denuvo and DLC bullshit that they have pulled for ages.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They also have two unannounced games.
THQ Nordic has announced the lineup of titles it is bringing to Gamescom 2018, which will run from August 21 to 25 at the Koelnmesse in Cologne, Germany.

Here is the full list of titles:
  • Biomutant (PS4, Xbox One, PC) – Playable
  • Darksiders III (PS4, Xbox One, PC) – Playable
  • Fade to Silence (PS4, Xbox One, PC) – Playable
  • Generation Zero (PS4, Xbox One, PC) – Playable
  • Townsmen VR (Steam VR, Oculus, Vive, Windows Mixed Reality)
  • Wreckfest (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  • Unannounced Game #1 – “A world exclusive announcement which will break cover during the official gamescom opening ceremony”
  • Unannounced Game #2
Read more at https://gematsu.com/2018/07/thq-nordic-announces-gamescom-2018-lineup#Q5gtOQoyDEv0AlgQ.99

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
  • Unannounced Game #1 – “A world exclusive announcement which will break cover during the official gamescom opening ceremony”
Anyone got a clue what this might be? What's the most expensive and biggest IP that THQ Nordic has? I would guess Saints Row or Red Faction.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They have a crapton of IPs these days. Hoping for something like Commandos. They must have something planned, now that they are making it easier to play the old games on newer OP systems.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Yeah, that's my point. They wouldn't open with something like Joint Operations (which they own) because NO ONE knows about that game, they'd probably use their biggest IP like Saints Row. There's also the chance that they will open with a new IP, but THQ Nordic is so wild that you never know what they will make.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Anyone got a clue what this might be? What's the most expensive and biggest IP that THQ Nordic has? I would guess Saints Row or Red Faction.

Freespace 3 or Summoner 3 would be nice.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Awww shiiieeet. Hopefully they learned something from these two:

header.jpg

header.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
That scarf image is some 3D platformer game literally named Scarf:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom