Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

PorkBarrellGuy

Always online, can be played solo but there are no NPCs so solo play will be boring as fuck
Robots are the NPCs, there aren't only human NPCs.

human = player

ghouls,robots,mutants and others = npc

Never mind the fact that there are canonically people who weren't Vaulters or BoS who survived the fall. Nah, let's forget about them.
Are you sure? I am pretty sure the original games claimed that all non mutated humans are vault dweller descandants.

Pretty sure, but not 100 percent. I could have sworn it's mentioned at one point that the Vaults couldn't possibly hold the entire population and that some outside the Vaults had survived, actually - but I couldn't tell you EXACTLY where I remember hearing/seeing that. I mean, the likelihood of most tribals being Vaulters seems very low, but stranger things have happened in Fallout.

EDIT: OK, Fallout 1 intro backs me up so far. Looking for other sources.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cael

Arcane
rofl, 90% of posters in this thread already got this preordered :lol:
Making a campfire and throwing 60 bucks at it is a better use of my money than buying this game. This way at least i'm not helping Bethesda make more money.
Don't do that with Australian money. It is either metal or the fumes from the burning plastic will kill you.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Here is what I think of Makabb and Bethesda:

hmvC89l.png

You guys see that new Fallout spinoff?

ZLIhDpd.png

XiXebOi.png

v62WwTz.png

ofbB29w.png

dQRFpqX.png

5ON36DS.png

fuA2pFS.png

xjYfOyF.png

Oracsbox

Ok let me get this straight

Toddy expects the players to become the npc's for everyone else !

This is amazing has anyone at bethesda ever played an online game ?

People who play online are fucking nuts they know this right ? mix in bethtards and larpers holy shit.

So they want people who will run little shops all day because that's normal behaviour manning a virtual market for no apparent reason 24/7.Now add in all the little psychopaths who like to rob,humiliate and kill for lulz and masturbation purposes.

If modding is added can we expect adult clubs and brothels ? Will players hire themselves out as whores and dancers,the mind boggles with this one,dudes playing chicks dancing for other dudes playing as chicks.

This could be one of the most deviant games ever made.
Bethesda HQ needs to be burnt down ASAP.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Now add in all the little psychopaths who like to rob,humiliate and kill for lulz and masturbation purposes.
Just look at r/fallout, people are absolutely terryfied of this. They are insulting and downvoting every person that even mentions he may play as raider or bandit :D
I just want to see their fairyland idea shatter on launch day.

Gerrard

Arcane
Ok let me get this straight

Toddy expects the players to become the npc's for everyone else !

This is amazing has anyone at bethesda ever played an online game ?

People who play online are fucking nuts they know this right ? mix in bethtards and larpers holy shit.

So they want people who will run little shops all day because that's normal behaviour manning a virtual market for no apparent reason 24/7.Now add in all the little psychopaths who like to rob,humiliate and kill for lulz and masturbation purposes.

If modding is added can we expect adult clubs and brothels ? Will players hire themselves out as whores and dancers,the mind boggles with this one,dudes playing chicks dancing for other dudes playing as chicks.

This could be one of the most deviant games ever made.
Bethesda HQ needs to be burnt down ASAP.
B-B-But muh Ultima Online!

Oracsbox

I have no intention of playing this game,but the thought of killing bethtards and then wearing their skin as a hat (what else are mods for) does have some appeal.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Just look at r/fallout, people are absolutely terryfied of this. They are insulting and downvoting every person that even mentions he may play as raider or bandit :D
I just want to see their fairyland idea shatter on launch day.

"Don't you dare impede on my pretend role playing with your pretend role playing"
Already they are bickering like little children on a playground. Imagine the chaos when this thing comes out in November.

Squid

Arbiter
If you're accepting New Vegas, look into the Sorrows tribe's founder Randall Clark. I may be wrong since it's been awhile since I played through Honest Hearts but I think he met ghouls and fairly normal humans postwar that weren't from vaults. He, himself, survived in a cave for months waiting for radiation to subside. I know he also interacted with Vault Dwellers at some point too though.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Oh Bethesda's claim that there were no humans on the surface before the Vaults opened would be a major (and stupid) retcon. Fallout 1 and 2 made it clear that there were quite some survivors on the surface. Hell Fallout 3 does so.
They will probably correct it to just West Virginia but I doubt that as well.

In the end it is just something Hiney said to explain why there are no human NPCs. As if we ever cared about his or most of Bethesda's designers designs or writing.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you're accepting New Vegas, look into the Sorrows tribe's founder Randall Clark. I may be wrong since it's been awhile since I played through Honest Hearts but I think he met ghouls and fairly normal humans postwar that weren't from vaults. He, himself, survived in a cave for months waiting for radiation to subside. I know he also interacted with Vault Dwellers at some point too though.

Even the Bethesda fallouts have this! Little Lamplight was inhabited by the kids from a crashed schoolbus (who obviously started having babies at a very young age to maintain their super youthful community). I don’t think Harold was ever in a vault and he tells you about what things were like post-war but pre-ghoulification.

Their whole idea for ‘76 is that West Virginia wouldn’t be bombed too heavily. I think there must be another reason for the lack of human NPCs. Since all players show up on your map, it’s not like people would have a ton of trouble distinguishing between NPCs and other players. This is BGS being lazy. Todd asked himself, “why create our own content if our idiot fans just want to LARP? Let’s make a game where their LARPing is 90% of the content and see if we can get away with it.”

Plus, setting a game 25 years after the war would be such a great chance to show NPCs who lived during the before-time. I’ve never particularly liked even bethesda’s supposedly good games, but even for them this is a huge missed opportunity.

Gerrard

Arcane
Their whole idea for ‘76 is that West Virginia wouldn’t be bombed too heavily.
And yet there are missile silos in the area?

I like how even after they set the game right after the bombs it still makes no fucking sense, just like the vegetation looking healthier than 200 years later.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Pete talking more, saying there will be a 'revenge mechanic'

“This is not an MMO and this is not a battle royale,” he said. “It’s supposed to feel like they just left the vault.”

“I think some people get it and and some absolutely do not,
hey think it’s straight up PVP. They think it’s running around and shooting folk or that you can’t play by yourself, or that nukes are going off every minute or that you can grief people.

They are judging it based on other things that say ‘online’ or ‘post apocalyptic, but game director Todd Howard and his team have been working hard to ensure it doesn’t fit neatly into any stereotype or, really, genre and Hines believes the more that is revealed about the game, the more people will start to get exactly what it’s going for.
“Some will say, ‘I get it’ and some will say ‘I get it, but that’s not for me.’”

If you want to be nomadic and never puts roots in one place you can totally do that,” he said. “You will find workshops, you can trade or not trade. Its entirely up to you

All of the experience that everyone has shared has been over the water-cooler,” Hines said. “‘It hasn’t been, ‘We were in the game and did this thing together.’ You can build together together, but it can also be, ‘I don’t want to build, I want to do squads with my friends.’ Then go do that.

The tech behind how this will be handled will be invisible to players. Hines says it will run on dedicated servers, but that players will never be asked to join any particular server when a game starts, they’ll just hit play. If you want to play with a friend, then you can join them or they can join you.

Hines also wanted to make it clear that while players can attack players, it won’t be a completely lawless free-for-all.
“It is important to note this is not just a full on PVP game,” he said. “Where you get in the world and everyone shoots everyone. It’s more like a challenge to another player.”
He said the game also has systems in place that prevent in-game bullying or constant harassment. But a lot of this is still being figured out, he said.
“You can’t just let things go unfettered,” he said.

There is a revenge thing you can opt into and try to go head-to-head.

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/features/fallout-76-online-interview-1202844504/

funkadelik

Arcane
So you challenge someone to "PVP". That's carebear as fuck.

The griefers will just spam challenges until someone accidentally accepts.

Who thought an online Fallout was a good idea anyways? Imagine you are exploring and there are dozens of other players around you at any given time. The post-apocalyptic world is not so scary when you have a bunch of other people running around with you and you don't have to worry about them killing you.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
So you challenge someone to "PVP". That's carebear as fuck.

He didn't say you challenge someone to PvP..... but that it is a challenge, which means it will take something to fight another player...... maybe you will need an item or something like in Dark Souls to perform invasions, and after the attack, the other player will have option to 'revenge' himself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom