Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Generic-Giant-Spider

Shame your first RE experience was RE director's cut. The original RE had an amazing soundtrack that potentially edges it out as my fav of the classic bunch (along with the difficulty, which is highly important in a survival horror), and the director's cut throws it to the dogs in favor of some really jank midi shit. I didn't like the Remake's renditions of the original music but it's way better than that director's cut shit.

How could you forget this masterpiece?

Ash

Arcane
Meh, President Evil has kind of ran its course these days. There's been, what, 30 titles, and none have been notably good after 4.

I want continuations of these old gems:

220px-Parasite_Eve_II_Coverart.png

220px-Martian_Gothic_-_Unification_Coverart.png

220px-Call_of_Cthulhu_-_Dark_Corners_of_the_Earth_Coverart.png

220px-Systemshock2box.jpg

Yeah there's new Shock games and a new Cthulhu game in the works, but NuCthulhu isn't survival horror and is developed by FrogWares, and in the case of System Shock my expectations are forever low as devs of that style abandoned their monocles long ago.

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It will be interesting to see what the scenarios for Leon and Claire turn out to be in the Remake
In any case and regardless of my obvious interest in the remake, the original campaigns are still so damn fun and I am having a blast playing right now, will probably do all 4 campaigns in a row to get that RE feel

Machocruz

Arcane
Leon has the better arsenal to me

That's a toughie. With Claire you get the Bow Gun, Grenade Launcher w/multiple ammo types and Spark Shot (!). With Leon you get the three-burst pistol, Custom Shotgun and Custom Magnum. Flamethrower

I'd say a tie, as it should be.

Claire's Grenade Launcher is way too good. Leon has fun custom weapons, but that Grenade Launcher alone carries Claire's arsenal to the top.

I mean favorite as in what kinds of guns I like, not effectiveness or power. Not into the bow gun or grenade launcher. Magnum and shotgun all the way baby.

KK1001

Arbiter
It's nice to see Capcom turn things around. They ran Street Fighter into the ground, but at least Resident Evil is back. RE7 wasn't perfect but god damn does it look it after its travesty of a predecessor.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I'm calling it now: that's not Claire. It's the long awaited official debut of Elza Walker.

And you wanna know some real shit? This is actually Resident Evil 1.5.

It took over 20 years but it's coming, baby. Buy stocks now.

Kitchen Utensil

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
How would the Nemesis fights even work with this slow paced over the shoulder camera. All the Nemesis fights, and the Grave Digger fight in RE3 forced you to be very mobile, and on higher difficulty or doing challenge playthroughs you really had to make use of the advanced mechanics like dodging. Whereas in RE4 the over the shoulder and slow aiming and movement forced all the boss fights to be very frontally oriented and slow, giving you enough time to line up shots as a boss went through an animation or walked towards you, like a light gun game. I'm curious to see how the boss fights are handled in this RE2 Remake.

SumDrunkGuy

How would the Nemesis fights even work with this slow paced over the shoulder camera. All the Nemesis fights, and the Grave Digger fight in RE3 forced you to be very mobile, and on higher difficulty or doing challenge playthroughs you really had to make use of the advanced mechanics like dodging. Whereas in RE4 the over the shoulder and slow aiming and movement forced all the boss fights to be very frontally oriented and slow, giving you enough time to line up shots as a boss went through an animation or walked towards you, like a light gun game. I'm curious to see how the boss fights are handled in this RE2 Remake.
The over the shoulder gameplay improved quite a bit after 4 & 5. Revelations 2 added a really nifty dodge manuever that I hope Capcom brings back at some point. Mobility and shooting in general was incredibly responsive in Revelations 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Machocruz

Arcane
They would just have to pull back the camera more. That solves most of the problems with these over the shoulder perspective games. The less you have to turn to see what's around you, the better.

Btw, RE font game is weak these days. Bring back typewriter style. Or at least put some serifs on them bitches.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I'm recoiling from over the shoulder camera, it's just not the RE experience.

Remember those wierd angles, like on the floor looking up, or from a cubard, makes you feel like you're watching through the eyes of zombies etc. and the lack of peripheral vision only aided the atmosphere.

Marvin scene was offputing, playing through both A+B scenarios is gone, moving is slow and I can already tell this game just won't be for the old fans.

Generic-Giant-Spider

What I enjoyed about the old fixed camera angles was that it made you pause for a few seconds to listen for any sounds of enemies. What was cool was how a lot of enemies had these sounds they made which you could use to prepare for them. Zombies groaning and shambling around, Lickers with their deep hiss-like breathing, Dogs and how their paws would tap against the tiles, etc. Then you had to slowly proceed and wonder just where in the room they were.

This is also what made the Nemesis pretty terrifying since he wouldn't be lurking in a room, he'd simply appear and proceed to chase you room-to-room. To me RE3 was the best of the classic REs.

Tehdagah

Arcane
The over the shoulder gameplay improved quite a bit after 4 & 5. Revelations 2 added a really nifty dodge manuever that I hope Capcom brings back at some point. Mobility and shooting in general was incredibly responsive in Revelations 2.

Revelations 2 controls, combat mechanics and enemy design are massive decline after RE6.

If Capcom wants to remake RE3 they should use RE6's mechanics, otherwise it won't be even worth buying it at a discount.

Also there should be a versus mode with playable Nemesis, because why not?

Wunderbar

Arcane
If Capcom wants to remake RE3 they should use RE6's mechanics
No.
Why shouldn't it have the most complex combat mechanics in the series?
Flashy combat needs to be supported with proper level design. RE6 shat the bed in that department by locking you in small linear levels where you can't really utilize your arsenal of moves.
RE3 was claustraphobic. With RE6 combat devs either have to redesign the city and location to be more open (which is bad for remake), or repeat RE6 mistakes.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Btw, gunplay in RE6 was bad. Guns deal random damage (sometimes you can oneshot zombie with a pistol, sometimes you had to pump half of the AR clip to kill it), enemies had invulnerabilit frames during some animations, hit detection was wonky. It made Chris's campaign to be such a chore.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Flashy combat needs to be supported with proper level design. RE6 shat the bed in that department by locking you in small linear levels where you can't really utilize your arsenal of moves.
RE3 was claustraphobic. With RE6 combat devs either have to redesign the city and location to be more open (which is bad for remake), or repeat RE6 mistakes.
But you can utilize your arsenal of moves even on small areas, and RE6 does have some of the biggest areas in any RE game. Redesigning things is good (and necessary) for a remake.

Btw, gunplay in RE6 was bad. Guns deal random damage (sometimes you can oneshot zombie with a pistol, sometimes you had to pump half of the AR clip to kill it), enemies had invulnerabilit frames during some animations, hit detection was wonky. It made Chris's campaign to be such a chore.
There's no random damage, until you're talking about critical shots. I don't recall animations with iframes, with the exception of some bosses. How is the hit detection wonky?

Generic-Giant-Spider

As much shit as people give RE6, the real decline began with RE4.

The atmosphere and tension felt in the opening moments of RE4 goes out the window the second you see you can German Suplex a Spanish villager's head off. Maybe you'll do what I did: blink desperately a few times, convince yourself it was all a figment of your imagination, and never hit that button prompt again.

Now RE6 sucked dick, this is known, but at least it had the hilarity known as the Rasklapanje. If you ever tried that game mode where you play as an enemy creature and not spent ten minutes of your mortal existence in this world flailing around uselessly on the ground as a disembodied torso due to awful controls, you don't know comedy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom