Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

KK1001

Arbiter
The game will be hit with a decent-sized downgrade and end up running at 20-25 FPS at 4k on the next gen systems, and around the same at 1080p.

PC will still get more bells and whistles, but I'm talking a downgrade in terms of the size, scope, AI, quest design of the game. The best hope is that they are confident enough to just push it to the new systems only, which would require a delay to mid-2020.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
1d9d5aefWP_NC_SS_3840x2160.png

Oracsbox

"In my experiences, men who insist on using Latin words are usually jerks"

That's a very strange thing to say does she/it often come across Latin speakers.

Deus vult bitch !

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
The hilarious part is that the interview which launched this triggering clearly states that the POLISH writer "strugged for words" in trying to describe it. If given more time to think, he could have used worms as transhuman or inhuman or something else. But of course, context and details don't matter when we can have a good old circle-jerk of outrage.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Body horror has always been a part of Cyberpunk, since beginning, and when you're just a brain, a spinal cord, and a pair of eyes, with everything else replaced by cyberware...well it's gonna affect you mentally and your idea of what it is to be human.

I mean fuck i'm missing an eye and have a shit load o metal holding me together, and that's affected me. Interesting to explore, especially as a Netrunner, living on the Net while just existing in reality.

Still outrage is still attention, all good for CDPR.

Oh there were a religious cult in old Cyberpunk who'd hunt down cyberwared folk on street and rip out their augs, wait 'til they get a load o them judging em.

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
These people are crazy. He used the sacred/profane dichotomy because it fits, but god forbid anybody on Twitter read Durkheim...

The sacred–profane dichotomy is an idea posited by French sociologist Émile Durkheim, who considered it to be the central characteristic of religion: "religion is a unified system of beliefs and practices relative to sacred things, that is to say, things set apart and forbidden."[1] In Durkheim's theory, the sacred represented the interests of the group, especially unity, which were embodied in sacred group symbols, or totems. The profane, on the other hand, involved mundane individual concerns. Durkheim explicitly stated that the sacred–profane dichotomy was not equivalent to good/evil. The sacred could be good or evil, and the profane could be either as well.[2]

Cyberpunk bodies are just meat and metal. Once you’re full of replaceable parts, those bits obviously lose their old metaphysical dimension. That’s the point.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
These people are crazy. He used the sacred/profane dichotomy because it fits, but god forbid anybody on Twitter read Durkheim...

The sacred–profane dichotomy is an idea posited by French sociologist Émile Durkheim, who considered it to be the central characteristic of religion: "religion is a unified system of beliefs and practices relative to sacred things, that is to say, things set apart and forbidden."[1] In Durkheim's theory, the sacred represented the interests of the group, especially unity, which were embodied in sacred group symbols, or totems. The profane, on the other hand, involved mundane individual concerns. Durkheim explicitly stated that the sacred–profane dichotomy was not equivalent to good/evil. The sacred could be good or evil, and the profane could be either as well.[2]

Cyberpunk bodies are just meat and metal. Once you’re full of replaceable parts, those bits obviously lose their old metaphysical dimension. That’s the point.
Exactly. The presentation overestimated the audience's education. But then again, when you are trying to get something through the heads of people calling them selves "trans-person lesbian", the task is already very difficult.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Body horror has always been a part of Cyberpunk, since beginning, and when you're just a brain, a spinal cord, and a pair of eyes, with everything else replaced by cyberware...well it's gonna affect you mentally and your idea of what it is to be human.

I mean fuck i'm missing an eye and have a shit load o metal holding me together, and that's affected me. Interesting to explore, especially as a Netrunner, living on the Net while just existing in reality.

Oh there were a religious cult in old Cyberpunk who'd hunt down cyberwared folk on street and rip out their augs, wait 'til they get a load o them judging em.

I wanna see some pics

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
on the other hand, i find it kinda infuriating that most of transhumanism is shown by replacing body parts, when with that kind of technology, you probably can enhance and augment instead of replacing. why settle for 2 metallic arms when you can have 4 arms installed on top of your biological arm?

for example this cybernetic extra thumb already exist:
https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/design/a27219/the-third-thumb-power-boost/

it's controlled by a controller but in 50 years, we probably can make a non intrusive extra limbs and organs that's basically plug and play, and human brain can probably adapt to the extra stuff. for example, with some training, a blind person can totally navigate with this electronic sensor vest that vibrate in response of environment:
https://www.livescience.com/48760-vibrating-vest-blind-navigation.html

it's like learning a new language with your sense of touch, imagine in 2077 we could make stuff similar to this that allow us in a way to sense wi-fi signal, magnetic field, even built-in GPS navigation, with need minimum invasive procedure. you probably, at most need some kind of implant that connect your brain and nerve so it can trade information in higher bandwith than your usual electromagnetic helm sensor.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
on the other hand, i find it kinda infuriating that most of transhumanism is shown by replacing body parts, when with that kind of technology, you probably can enhance and augment instead of replacing. why settle for 2 metallic arms when you can have 4 arms installed on top of your biological arm?

for example this cybernetic extra thumb already exist:
https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/design/a27219/the-third-thumb-power-boost/

it's controlled by a controller but in 50 years, we probably can make a non intrusive extra limbs and organs that's basically plug and play, and human brain can probably adapt to the extra stuff. for example, with some training, a blind person can totally navigate with this electronic sensor vest that vibrate in response of environment:
https://www.livescience.com/48760-vibrating-vest-blind-navigation.html

it's like learning a new language with your sense of touch, imagine in 2077 we could make stuff similar to this that allow us in a way to sense wi-fi signal, magnetic field, even built-in GPS navigation, with need minimum invasive procedure. you probably, at most need some kind of implant that connect your brain and nerve so it can trade information in higher bandwith than your usual electromagnetic helm sensor.

Forget the vest, blind people can see with this device that connects a forehead camera with a bunch of electrodes on the tongue. They basically train your taste neurons to transmit visual data. Right now you don’t get very good definition—only a few hundred pixels—but that’s still a lot better than nothing. And the tech keeps getting better. Ten years from now I bet they’ll be able to do this in 1080p.

It’s called the Brainport and it’s been on the market since 2015.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainport

Quillon

Arcane
Extra limbs wouldn't be stylish, it should be in somewhat familiar weird territory. If they'd make spider-like people with many arms & legs crawling around, I'd say fuck your fantasy :P

Venser

Erudite
I don't think CD Projekt Red will succumb to media and Twitter crybabies unlike other developers/publishers.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane

The caveat though is that implementing this in an actual fun way is very hard to do. I know of no game which did mental instability well enough to warrant it being a major part of the game. Eternal Darkness had mental deterioration but it got old really fast and was only "fun" in the same way Fallout's death animations were "fun".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom