Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do Codexers like KOTOR 1?

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
KOTOR was better than Pillars of Eternity.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Taris is fucking boring but once you get past it I think the game does a good job feeling like Star Wars, which is more than most SW games can say. That's why it's considered a classic, not the gameplay. Same with KotOR 2 really, the story carries it much more than the RPG mechanics or whatever. You gotta be into the Star Wars vibe and then you'll appreciate what both games do. I'm not a huge SW nerd but I do love Empire Strikes Back and the Jedi Knight games, so my KotOR appreciation spawns from that.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Yep. All about the SW feel. You get to become a jedi/sith. You get to larp Luke or Vader in your own story.

Honestly, I don't know why more film properties don't understand that this is the true desire of anyone wanting to play a game based on a film IP. Instead they go about recreating the movies shot for shot with their hilariously bad (by comparison) graphics.

This is why Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War did so well. You get to larp your own LotR story, complete with elves and goblins. It's flawed, but that's all you're there for, so you put up with it. Anything beyond that is icing on the cake.

Though, in fairness, I didn't complete DA3.
The plot twist happens after the end credits and it felt like it was intended as the midway point of a story arc. You got half a game's worth of story padded by awful mmorpg content (which could mostly be ignored/rushed through to see the ending).

Cael

Arcane
Yep. All about the SW feel. You get to become a jedi/sith. You get to larp Luke or Vader in your own story.
I don't know. A FPS type game where you are the pilot of a X-Wing would have a SW feel if you get the rest of the elements right (space combat and story). You don't really need Jedi. Amongst the most enjoyable SW games I have played was actually X-Wing, which was a challenge because I was using only the keyboard at the time.

The best thing about X-Wing is you don't get author self-inserts or political soapboxing in it and there is really only so much you can do to wreck the... uh... "story" of a game like that.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Right, just like Shadow of War didn't have hobbits.

Again, primary purpose is your own larp in the setting that is playable not not a cashgrab uncreative shot for shot remake. X-Wing etc were legitimately fun games in their own right even apart from the setting though.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The appeal around Kotor 1 & 2 comes from the story, the robot killer (funny character whom really added to the dialog ) and the fact that in an ocean of crappy Star Wars games, those two are the only "RPG-like"
I might have to add i don't own a SW costume, never wore one and don't intend to, i enjoyed the main trilogy and that's it (watched the other ones, though and ... you know :dead:)

I would probably not enjoy playing them again, though, but few games are worth replaying 10 years later and mostly because nothing better came up.

Theldaran

Liturgist
KOTOR 1 was good... for its time.

Tell me about a better RPG on its time. You can't.

The actual decline began with Mass Effect. That's a perversion of KOTOR as much as Dragon Age is a perversion of BG/NWN.

U-8D8

Savant
Tell me about a better RPG on its time. You can't.
58332-gothic-ii-windows-front-cover.jpg
[/spoiler}

Theldaran

Liturgist
Look, an RPG isn't just the combat system.

I too noticed that KOTOR's combat sucks, especially when you get to that part in 2 where you spam Force Wave (or whatever it's called).

But it's a good Star Wars RPG. Mass Effect copied a lot of things from it.

Now I can't touch it, but now isn't 2005.

And I don't consider myself a huge SW fan... I dug the thing when I was a child, but the money grabbing with the prequels and Disney movies (ugh), I don't want anything to do with that.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Why y'all sitting around analyzing a 15 year old console game?
Because KotOR was important in RPG history.

Prior to 2003, RPGs were still a niche, nerdy genre for a small isolated group of people. The most "mainstream" was Baldur's Gate series with about 2 million sales.

KotOR, Oblivion, and eventually Fallout 3 turned this into a genre for the "normies". So it's a pretty interesting curiosity and worth "analyzing" for that reason.

Theldaran

Liturgist
BG sold well because it was considered a big hit and a quality game (which it was, it still stands its own ground).

KOTOR was popular because it appeared on consoles (at least the XBox), and it appeared in a time when interest on SW was waxing again.

Today I think that BG has the upper hand over KOTOR, though.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I will always remember Bastila pressing her salacious lips against mine in the Ebon Hawk's freight room. This is why the Codex loves Kotor 1.

:nevar forget:

Theldaran

Liturgist
Its Shame that there was not third choice in Kotor II to kill yourself and free galaxy from force and hence liberate us from further Disney rape of franchise.

Oh, I can't really see how destroying the Force in KOTOR2 (most probably a non-canon choice) would have precluded Disney from grabbing the mellions. Show must go on. "Spaceballs 2, the search for more money"...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom