Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games codex hates but you like and vice versa.

Master

Arbiter
Not sure if Codex "hates" it, but i replay Doom3 on occasion.

PorkBarrellGuy

Is there a list somewhere of Games Codex Officially Hates I can check my play history against or something

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
That is a really weird way to describe alien isolation.

Is there a list somewhere of Games Codex Officially Hates I can check my play history against or something

I know you're probably joking, but I had the same thought. Perhaps RPGCodex needs a 'Worst 25 RPGs of all time' poll.

It will be exact same as top 25 RPGs.

Last edited:

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Codex is pretty soft on Assassins Creed. Personally can't stand it.

Is there someone here who 'unironically' actually likes that series? Even the first game was incredibly repetitive and tedious gameplay with a derpy story line, and its now the poster child for AAA yearly recycled retardo games.

As this seems to have turned into a DS discussion I can say thats certainly high on my favourite games list. Clearly, for anyone with half a brain its not an RPG. But Demon Souls/ DS 1 was a shining beacon of old school design philosophy, brutal difficulty requiring actual learning and concentration, and the lost art of subtle storytelling.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Codex is pretty soft on Assassins Creed. Personally can't stand it.

Is there someone here who 'unironically' actually likes that series? Even the first game was incredibly repetitive and tedious gameplay with a derpy story line, and its now the poster child for AAA yearly recycled retardo games.

As this seems to have turned into a DS discussion I can say thats certainly high on my favourite games list. Clearly, for anyone with half a brain its not an RPG. But Demon Souls/ DS 1 was a shining beacon of old school design philosophy, brutal difficulty requiring actual learning and concentration, and the lost art of subtle storytelling.

A game has exp levels, C&C, classic fantasy settings, itemization, builds, stats, bosses, dungeons, guild questline, choice to larp different personalities etc...

"BUT ITS COMABT ISNT SHIT IT CANT BE RPG!"

- Codex thinking smart thoughts in 2018.

To make it worse half of you retards unironically think that you can't have genuine genre hybrids that e,g can be both legitimate FPS AND RPG etc... Thinking two thoughts at the same time is too hard for codex.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
In what world does Dark Souls have C&C or guild questlines? DS is a linear action game with a level and skill system.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
In what world does Dark Souls have C&C or guild questlines? DS is a linear action game with a level and skill system.

Join the hordes of other codexers who've played grand total of 5 minutes of DS got fucked by first boss and proceed to make shit up about the game.

The game your thinking of is called darksiders. How can a persons pallet lack subtlety to a point that they cant distinguish between something like tomb raider, which is an actual action game, and dark souls.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
DS is a RPG if you judge it by the standard of JRPGs being RPGs, but JRPGs are not RPGs, rarely if ever do they have choice and consequence or any form of non-linearity. That simply makes them linear adventure games with stats and combat.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
DS is a RPG if you judge it by the standard of JRPGs being RPGs, but JRPGs are not RPGs, rarely if ever do they have choice and consequence or any form of non-linearity. That simply makes them linear adventure games with stats and combat.

You know how when religion travels the world, different cultures add different twists to it? Like Buddhism became Zen when it traveled to Japan, and Tibetan when it traveled to Tibet? Yea there are obvious differences between them. That is why if context does not give enough clarity, we prefix generes with words that specify the specific subtype your talking about. This is how language works. How the fuck are you guys adults without having realized this? Words naturally expand as history evolves. Different time periods, cultures, and general evolution of thought will keep giving different twists to the same idea that sometimes become subgeneres of their own.

Categories are made to help clarify things not obfuscate them. Calling Dark Souls a pure action game simultaneously stretches the term action game and restricts the term rpg to a point where they become useless when trying to communicate. Not to mention they are utterly not mutually exclusive.

Last edited:

KK1001

Arbiter
Dark Souls is like a 65-35 action-rpg split. It's less of an action game than Devil May Cry or Bayonetta, but less of an RPG than (insert your favorite RPG here).

Something like the Twitcher 3 is a bit more ambiguous, but probably leaning in the opposite direction. ME1 is slightly more RPG than action, with 2 and 3 crossing more into action/shooting territory.

Last edited:

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Dark Souls is like a 65-35 action-rpg split. It's more of an action game than Devil May Cry or Bayonetta, but less of an RPG than (insert your favorite RPG here).

Something like the Twitcher 3 is a bit more ambiguous, but probably leaning in the opposite direction. ME1 is slightly more RPG than action, with 2 and 3 crossing more into action/shooting territory.

I feel like this way of thinking isn't much better. Again your thinking of the genre concepts as mutually exclusive where they aren't. You can have 100% action game and 100% rpg. I mean its obvious that ds isn't the same kind of game as say fallout 1, but likeness to crpgs is a narrow way to define rpgs. The abstraction behind what RPG is has to be way more general, leaving space for multiple implementations of the idea, kind of like immersive sim.

KK1001

Arbiter
You don't understand the difference between the action genre and the RPG genre if you think it is possible to have something that is 100% both.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
You don't understand the difference between the action genre and the RPG genre if you think it is possible to have something that is 100% both.

I think of rpg as something along the lines of immersive sim, and action as something that focuses on mechanics of combat (usually real time), that doesn't involve aiming with crosshair. Action can also be focused on movement mechanics instead of combat like tomb raider I suppose. Action games also tend to either be isometric or 3rd person perspective. But really its ambiguous as fuck.

If witcher 3 had combat more like dark souls, and was less linear, we could think of it as a pretty good example of action rpg hybrid that would be more more accepted as such here.

Last edited:

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
DS is 100% action game. Something like Mass Effect 1 or Deus Ex can be described as hybrids. It's easy to separate what game is RPG and what is action, if the main mechanics are resolved via stats it's RPG, if not is action. Morrowind is RPG, Oblivion and Skyrim are action games, Witcher 1 is RPG, 2 and 3 are action games etc.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
DS is 100% action game. Something like Mass Effect 1 or Deus Ex can be described as hybrids. It's easy to separate what game is RPG and what is action, if the main mechanics are resolved via stats it's RPG, if not is action. Morrowind is RPG, Oblivion and Skyrim are action games, Witcher 1 is RPG, 2 and 3 are action games etc.

In DS its resolved by both stats and action. As I said some codexers are unable to hold two thoughts as the same time.

I bet when you watch a tv show like orville your mind gets all confused with:
"Its a commedy, no its sci fi. But I laughed at jokes. But it has spaceships. *Stroke"

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
No DS only has damage modifiers, something a lot of genres of games have and that doesn't make them RPGs.

Thanks god your 1. not game developer. and 2. the world largely ignored brainlets like you and stuck to a more broad and useful definition that is used literally everywhere.

Dark souls stats are elaborate and well thought out. Yes some of them do modify damage LIKE ANY OTHER FUCKING RPG. Some of them modify health, resistance to spells etc... you know like any other rpg. God you wouldn't detect a contradiction in your abstraction if it smacked you in the face.

Dark souls doesn't have charisma checks or some shit like that - fair enough. But lots of rpgs don't have that and do just fine. Dark souls charisma is more tied with how "hollow" you are. And npcs do act differently towards you depending if you hollow or not. DS3 had entire quest-line that requires you to basically always be hollow.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom