Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heretic vs. Hexen

Which is better or are they both good for what they are?

• Hexen

Votes: 37 40.7%
  • Heretic

Votes: 18 19.8%
  • Both good for what they are

Votes: 36 39.6%

• Total voters

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I don't deny that Doom weapons were great for it's time. But every other aspect of Doom has aged very well, and weaponset did not. And "like in Doom" is not a sign of quality if it comes to weapons.
I still haven't found a game with a more satisfying shotgun. (And before someone says it, Doom 2's super shotgun doesn't qualify either.)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Doom's weapon were great. Except for the pistol, none of them became obsolete either, which is rare.

I'm a little annoyed that Hexen 1 and 2's weapons are spread out over so many classes, though. Means I'll have to replay Hexen 2 thrice just to play with all the weapons.

DraQ

Arcane
I've often used chainsaw to slice up a lone tomato.
:M

Anyway, Doom weapons established certain widely copied standard, but departing from that standard only helped FPS games.
And, TBH Doom's weapons weren't particularly innovative:
  1. Backup melee weapon
  2. Basic weak hitscan weapon (obsolete the moment you found anything better)
  3. Spread hitscan weapon (Workhorse and CQB weapon, high burst damage)
  4. Rapid hitscan weapon
  5. AoE projectile weapon
  6. Rapid projectile weapon
  7. Superweapon clusterfuck
They worked well, but copying them over and over was a sign of intellectual laziness.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
More like it helped degrade the basic set up for the price of chasing after pointless gimmicks.

Martyr

Arcane
since I'm a huge 90s FPS fan I've always wanted to play Heretic/Hexen.
but I can't buy it on steam because I'm german and lots of games can't be bought in germany.
just about 5 minutes ago I was looking through the Microsoft Store which is pre-installed on Windows 10 and I stumbled across Heretic. the game has mixed reviews and those reviews don't tell me anything about the actual game. is this the original version or just some shitty mobile port? the store page says that it is playable on computers but it also says that it's published by "Mike L." ?!?
so to repeat my question: is this the original dos-version? I don't want to spend one single cent on a bad mobile port, so I thought I'd just ask here.

Ash

Arcane
Heretic is better than Hexen, though Hexen is OK. And Hexen 2 can suck a bag of dicks. I've always been a proponent of old school maze-like level design, obscure puzzles, platforming etc etc, the old FPS formula. But Hexen 2 just does everything all wrong and all boring.

Doom > Heretic (Preferably with Brutal Heretic, which is awesome) >> Hexen >>> Hexen 2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom