Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

PanteraNera

Arcane
>labeled shitposter
>labeled Bethestard
>thinkin why codex is so open-minded towards people like him
:hmmm:
well mfkndggrfll got still a fucking shitload of "retarded" ratings, after receiving his tags.
I am just curious.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't like what Bethesda has done with Fallout either, but I don't feel compelled to insult people that enjoy their games. This community reeks of insecure manchildren.
You don't feel compelled to insult people that enjoy shoveling shit in their faces?
At the very least, you should feel compelled to laugh at them.
Or feel sorry for them.

Wunderbar

Arcane
You thought you could escape
V7owNDB.jpg

PanteraNera

Arcane
I don't like what Bethesda has done with Fallout either, but I don't feel compelled to insult people that enjoy their games. This community reeks of insecure manchildren.
Nice double-standards going on there.
I would have given you the "huh nice guy, kay" treatment but you are a really special snowflake to say that you do not "insult" people that play shit but "insult" the codex for doing so.
Hypocrite!

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
I don't think they are shit. Just games I personally don't enjoy.

I'll tell you what is shit though - Snobby hipsters that lecture people about their "objectively" good tastes.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think they are shit. Just games I personally don't enjoy.

I'll tell you what is shit though - Snobby hipsters that lecture people about their "objectively" good tastes.
Go to ResetEra or some other modern hippie outlet where everything is wonderful and the only differences in games are personal preferences.
You do not belong here.

Seems like google trolled you this is the forum you were looking for.
You're being a bit unfair towards the Watch here.
There are quite a few people recognizing shit when they see it and in contrast to our special snowflake here are not afraid to say it.

PanteraNera

Arcane
You're being a bit unfair towards the Watch here.
There are quite a few people recognizing shit when they see it and in contrast to our special snowflake here are not afraid to say it.
Oh sorry, didn't knew that. To be honest I never was there, I just know that they don't stand with Codex on good terms so I wanted to give them a "special" gift.
Was tempted to ask Okagron if nma-fallout had a place for him (a little mfkndggrfll revenge) but I had been on the nma forums in the 90's and really liked that place :).

On a more serious note, calling Codexers "Hipsters" that is pretty much the stupidst thing I heard ever.

PanteraNera

Arcane
Oh I was wrong I did a quick research on Hipsters and apparently these guys are also "Hipsters":
nazihipster.jpg

Nipsters, probably have some of those here.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Personally i'm still waiting on them to announce the Battle Royale mode, "reimagined" for fallout.

They probably saving that reveal for later.

Cael

Arcane
GAH!!!

Completing St Louis with the mutants only able to sling 30 rounds (3 bursts) of 7.62mm at me over the whole mission (including the fort): :incline:

Finding out during looting that two of the M2 wielders fell at exactly the same spot and with the exact same death sprite, and so there is no way to get to the one underneath: motherf*censored*sonuva*censored**censored**censored with extreme prejudice**holy crap, where did you learn that kind of language???* :argh: :decline::decline::decline:

Accept the loss of 1x M2 and 120x .50 rounds? Or redo? Choices, choices...

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Anyways, Pete Hines talking about the game, it sounds exactly as I expected it to sound, which is good

After this week's official reveal of Fallout 76, fans and even the press have been wondering and speculating on what kind of Fallout game this will be. Is it an MMO? Is there PvP? Will it be online all the time?
Well, we got a chance to chat with Bethesda Senior Vice President of Global Marketing and Communications, Pete Hines to discuss some of these things. Naturally, the conversation focused mostly on what Fallout 76 is and isn't, although we do agree that it's arguably the company’s most ambitious game to date. It’s got an Open Beta happening very soon and is slated for a release this November.
We got a lot of information during the company’s E3 presentation and from the recent No Clip documentary,but the core question still remains for a lot of people: What exactly is Fallout 76?
This Is What It’s Not
“Folks instantly want to look at a game and say, ‘That’s like this,’ because it’s easy to define and wrap your head around,” Hines explained. “Except when the thing that you’re making isn’t like any of those things. You’re painting a bad picture in your own head of what this is.”
When leaks about Fallout 76 first starting pouring into the internet, the word on the digital street was that it wouldn’t be anything like any past Fallout games. People were comparing it to Rust, saying that it was a hardcore survival-focused RPG about building and fighting other players.
The reality of the game is that, yes, elements of those concepts are present, but it’s reductive to try and boil it down to a direct comparison like that.
“I mean, it’s nothing like Fortnite,” Hines said. “It’s not even remotely an MMO. It’s not like this or that. It’s not like Destiny. It’s not like any of those things. It’s not like Rust, other than it’s an online world with people in it. Fallout 76 is a roleplaying game. It is not a PvP, kill everybody, fest.”
From what I’ve seen and been told, the best way to think about it is to imagine a world much larger than Fallout 4and remove all of the named human NPCs from it. Add in more robots, more ghouls, and more irradiated creatures and areas, then throw in a few dozen players to fill the gaps and add to the nuance.
But again, even that is still overly reductive. Until we get the chance to go hands-on, it’s hard to really articulate what the moment-to-moment experience will be like. Bethesda was not allowing hands-on demos at E3.
What About NPCs? Questing? Playing Solo?
“There are still tons of quests,” reassured Hines. “That’s what I do, when I play, I am building my character, questing, and leveling up, and deciding what kind of stuff to be good at and finding things in the world.”
In short, you can totally still play this like a Fallout game. If you liked the base building stuff from Fallout 4, then great, you can indulge in that sort of stuff more since you’re able to build anywhere and move things everywhere. But you don’t have to do that just like you don’t have to fight other characters necessarily.
“Sometimes when I play I build a base and setup shop somewhere but then other times I don’t and I’m nomadic and decide to use workshops and craft stuff as I go,” said Hines. “Then sometimes I don’t group up with other folks or fight people at all and just wave and say hi when we pass. I’m gonna play this like I’m playing by myself to see what that feels like. There are lots of different types of robots in the world that you can interact with and have dialog with and give you quests. There are lots of ways to give a player a quest.”
To be clear though, Fallout 76 isn’t going to be an empty world. If no one is online, you won’t have a lack of things to do.
“It’s more so like when you see a character, like previously in our games when you see a character we identify it for you by saying this one is a vendor or this one is a raider, there is a red thing on your compass, so you know it’s bad guy,” explained Hines. “That’s a Brotherhood of Steel soldier that’s neutral until you shoot them, or something for example. But now, it’s up to the players themselves to decide which way it’s gonna go.”
Dungeons & Dragons & Nuclear Bombs
In that sense, it will ideally foster a lot of emergent player interactions and gameplay. For me personally, some of my favorite gaming moments have happened when playing online. I’ll never forget playing H1Z1 in beta, back before it was a battle royale-focused game, and having to decide whether or not players were friendly or hostile.
Fallout 76 is sounding like that sort of dynamic once again, but in the Fallout universe. In a way, it’s even more of a roleplaying game than past Fallout games.
“I’ve used D&D to describe it before,” said Hines. “When you play D&D no one hands you a script and says, ‘Here’s your dialogue for your Dwarven Warrior.’ No, I’m gonna give you a situation and see how you handle it. Now with Fallout 76, it’s like the game is the DM and everyone inside the game has to decide how they’re going to play.”
It’s still unclear exactly what the story will be beyond needing to rebuild society immediately after the bombs dissipate 20 years later. Fallout games always have such rich and dense worlds full of things to do, so hopefully the scope of this game’s design doesn’t dilute the content.
“It’s definitely a different version of the Fallout vision,” said Hines. “There’s a reason we called it Fallout 76, it’s not a direct continuation of 1, 2, 3, and 4. It doesn't mean that this is all that Fallout will be now. It just means we wanted to try an idea that the team had and really wanted to see what it would be like if every person was a character in the same world.”
Shared World Multiplayer
Speaking of, even though you can play primarily solo, this is a 100 percent always online game by design. You need an internet connection to play at all. In that way, it’s like Rust, Destiny, The Division, and other multiplayer games, but the similarities mostly stop there.
“Other people will show up in your world all the time,” said Hines. “We keep worlds feeling like it has the appropriate number of players. The Elder Scrolls Onlinedoes something similar with how it moves you around behind the scenes to whatever feels appropriate instead of you needing to pick a shard of a server like in some MMOs. No. You’re just gonna get on and play. For example, you could be playing in a world by yourself and you don’t see anyone that you know. Then later you go to login and you see that a friend is playing, and you could just decide to go play with a friend and your character is there, your stuff is there, and everything you’ve done goes with you in the same version of the world.”
Having recently played State of Decay 2, I was immediately reminded of how frustrating that game’s co-op system is at times. Since everyone can play either offline or online, the world you play in only belongs to the host. That means if I joined a friend’s game, I would keep my character and items but not have access to my base or world progression. Fallout 76 has, supposedly, been developed with a way around that common issue in mind.
“All your stuff, including buildings, go with you,” assured Hines. “It’s not like, ‘Oh, that’s on the other server,’ no, that’s all your stuff, so it’s with you. Where your character is, that’s where your stuff is. If two players have structures on the same spot, we have stuff that works through how all that plays out. Don’t think about your stuff and character being separate, no, you’re using old game concepts to think about how this works. You can build things anywhere and you can move it anywhere.”
Building For The Future
It all sounds great and super ambitious, but like with anything that takes a developer outside of their comfort zone, I’m remaining cautiously optimistic. I’m still not sure how they plan to deal with trolls griefing other players and whether or not a bounty system will really be enough. Hopefully the Open Beta can help answer some of those questions.

PorkBarrellGuy

Maybe it is because no one sane cares for Fallout 76 at all.

rofl, 90% of posters in this thread already got this preordered :lol:

well, not hard to see how you got your tags

Always online, can be played solo but there are no NPCs with meaningful dialogue or interaction beyond "shoot or don't shoot" so solo play will be boring as fuck. :decline: of the nth order.

If two players have structures on the same spot, we have stuff that works through how all that plays out.

Hilarious Bugthesda-tier glitches soon to come, no doubt.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Always online, can be played solo but there are no NPCs so solo play will be boring as fuck
Robots are the NPCs, there aren't only human NPCs.

human = player

ghouls,robots,mutants and others = npc

That's actualy a pretty good idea from Bethesda, i give credit where credit is due.

PorkBarrellGuy

Always online, can be played solo but there are no NPCs so solo play will be boring as fuck

human = player

Never mind the fact that there are canonically people who weren't Vaulters or BoS who survived the fall. Nah, let's forget about them.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

human = player

Never mind the fact that there are canonically people who weren't Vaulters or BoS who survived the fall. Nah, let's forget about them.

ah, supposedly the main story explains why the only people are the vaulters, so they got this covered also

Dodo1610

Arcane

human = player

Are you sure? I am pretty sure the original games claimed that all non mutated humans are vault dweller descandants.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom