Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Ash

Arcane
I'll never understand some people's fondness for Code Veronica. RE2 I get. It isn't my favorite but I get why it is for some people. But Code Veronica? There was nothing remarkable about that game at all, at least from what I remember. Was it your first RE game, Invictus?

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'll never understand some people's fondness for Code Veronica. RE2 I get. It isn't my favorite but I get why it is for some people. But Code Veronica? There was nothing remarkable about that game at all, at least from what I remember. Was it your first RE game, Invictus?
Nope I first played the RE Director Cut, RE 2, RE3 and the Code Veronica
I guess my love for Code Veronica is tied to the fact that I loved the Dreamcast and having such a jump from the prerendered backgrounds to full 3D really hooked me, plus taking a break from Raccon city to more interesting locales helped a lot
Yeah the story got a little bit quirky there but I still enjoy the game a whole lot
Overall I would say that it still holds up today
My favorite would still be RE2 but both CV and RE4 are superb... hell even the less stellar games in the franchise like 0,3, 5 and 6 are pretty good games too
And yes I said 6 is good, not very survival horrory but as an action game is damn excellent

Ash

Arcane
Shame your first RE experience was RE director's cut. The original RE had an amazing soundtrack that potentially edges it out as my fav of the classic bunch (along with the difficulty, which is highly important in a survival horror), and the director's cut throws it to the dogs in favor of some really jank midi shit. I didn't like the Remake's renditions of the original music but it's way better than that director's cut shit.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Nope I first played the RE Director Cut, RE 2, RE3 and the Code Veronica
I guess my love for Code Veronica is tied to the fact that I loved the Dreamcast and having such a jump from the prerendered backgrounds to full 3D really hooked me, plus taking a break from Raccon city to more interesting locales helped a lot
Yeah the story got a little bit quirky there but I still enjoy the game a whole lot
Overall I would say that it still holds up today
My favorite would still be RE2 but both CV and RE4 are superb... hell even the less stellar games in the franchise like 0,3, 5 and 6 are pretty good games too
And yes I said 6 is good, not very survival horrory but as an action game is damn excellent
CV was still an oldschool RE game all in all, that's why I love it. Although I could never beat it 100%, because when I got to the last boss, I didn't have enough weapons and ammo with me, so it was unbeatable.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have read somewhere that the A scenario is supposed to be Claire’s canon and the B is supposed to be Leon’s although I always played them the other way around and we all knew that the A&B for each character would have been too much to ask... maybe as DLC?

Claire A and Leon B is generally considered the most canon as it has events like Sherry being infected by the G-Virus that don't happen in Leon A/Claire B.

I think some Leon A/Claire B events are still referenced in later titles though, so overall it's a bit of a mess.

Edit: I also wonder if they'll explain the plot hole of how Leon and Claire managed to avoid the military barricades to the city. Resident Evil 3 created a massive plot hole with that addition.

Adon

Arcane
Claire A and Leon B is generally considered the most canon as it has events like Sherry being infected by the G-Virus that don't happen in Leon A/Claire B.

I think some Leon A/Claire B events are still referenced in later titles though, so overall it's a bit of a mess.

This is about the gist of, yeah. There's some stuff that's canon from Leon A/Claire B so all 4 are canon to some degree. I can't remember the exact details of them, tho, I've been meaning to look it up but my usual source of a website is down atm.

But that just feels like it's following suit to RE1. I think people forget that that game also has both Jill and Chris' campaigns both be canon.

Edit: Code Veronica got really dumb, and as much as RE3 was initially supposed to be a spin-off, I'd still place it above CV simply because of Nemesis alone.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'll never understand some people's fondness for Code Veronica.

jFLS9JP.jpg

Tehdagah

Arcane
The vanilla music in a somewhat remixed version can be heard in this clip:

¨

Turn up the volume and listen carefully at 0:35 onwards to 0:40, clearly the vanilla soundtrack playing. Also, at 1:06 and onwards, listen.

7:33

Don't tell me that is bullet magnetism.

Or it can be the "RNG aim" some people are talking about:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
For me it is: RE2>>>>RE3=RE1>>>RE:CV
For me is REmake > RE2 >> RE3 > RE1 >> RE Zero >>> RE CV

Code Veronica aged the worst. Bad game design (you can easily screw up so hard you'll have to start a new game), annoying backtracking through kilometers of empty rooms. Story is pure anime: CV was that game where RE series jumped the shark, things went downhill from there.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Code veronica is RE at it's absolute peak.

Ash

Arcane
Code Veronica is the worst classic RE game.
No way, RE3 is derrivative, Nemesis was a rehashed Mr X, the dodge mechanic was very lazily implemented and the whole game was admittedly a stopgap title until the tech that powered CV could be fully developed

Derivative say what? Gun Powder system. Mercenaries. Those C&C events that affect both story and gameplay. Dodge mechanic. Environmental interactivity in combat (e.g explosive barrels. Pipes in nemesis factory bossfight). Minor elements of meaningful randomisation to item placement. Nemesis, which was an improved version of Mr.X. A rehash of the base idea yes, but also an improvement of it.
That's the thing I disliked with RE2. There was very little innovation or iteration over RE1 at all, whereas RE3 was in fact the least derivative of the classic bunch that came after the first, and easily has the best gameplay.

Edit: RE3 also introduced the 180 degree quick turn, which frankly should be mandatory for these types of games.

Last edited:

Adon

Arcane
Nemesis is as much a rehash of Mr. X as Mr. X is a rehash of the Tyrant from RE1. Both Nemesis and Mr. X are Tyrant variants. But at the very least Nemesis is a challenge that not only is satisfying to beat, but there is an incentive to do it (in certain parts of the game at least) in comparison to Mr. X.

Nemesis is also terrifying when he's chasing you.

I don't know how anyone can prefer Mr. X over Nemesis outside of just preferring RE2 over 3 in general.

Ash

Arcane
Nemesis can chase you through certain doors. The C&C, 180 turn and dodge mechanics makes him a lot of fun to fight. There is incentive to kill as opposed to run as you mentioned. He's a better, more engaging challenge also as you mentioned. Every fight is different, whether it be because he mutated, the C&C events involved, or the level layout often designed with his fights precisely in mind rather than him inserted into rehashed level design originally designed for zombies/dogs/whatever as is the case with Mr.X in RE2. Just all around better.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I also enjoyed the variety of locations in RE3. I liked that it wasn't limited to one big mansion substitute.

Machocruz

Arcane
I preferred Mr X. on a visual level. He was this enigmatic, imposing, monolithic being, vaguely human which is unsettling. Obviously inspired by the Universal Frankenstein monster. The Nemesis in comparison was just, I don't know how to decribe. Obvious? Over the top? "See, this monster is very monstrous"

From a play perspective, no contest, Nemesis is actually a threat and on your first playthrough instills panic whenever he pops up. I didn't like RE3 much when it came out, but watching someone like Carcinogen play improved my opinion of the game. I started playing it again couple years ago an now it's my third favorite in the series. These games are just good, man. Any complaints about tank controls say more about the person than the game. They just require getting used to, then become second nature. Remember when games required you to learn their particular shit instead of being made to spec to accommodate the lowest common denominator?

Ash

Arcane
For me it is: RE2>>>>RE3=RE1>>>RE:CV
For me is REmake > RE2 >> RE3 > RE1 >> RE Zero >>> RE CV

of the classic fixed cam games:

RE1 >= RE3 > RE2 > Remake > CV == RE0 and any spinoff shit.

I also enjoyed the variety of locations in RE3. I liked that it wasn't limited to one big mansion substitute.

Eh I'd say 1-3 all had the same amount of variety of locations really.

RE1: Mansion - Garden - Guardhouse - Sewer - Lab
RE2: Streets - Police Station - Sewer - Marshalling Yard - Lab
RE3: Streets (with tons of variety to it) - Police Station (lazy rehash admittedly) - more streets (with lots more variety e.g gas station, restuarant, power substation) - Clocktower - Hospital - Park - Factory.
Maybe 3 does have the most, but it does lose minor points for rehashing the police station here. Ultimately it's only like 6% of the game though.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
RE2 canon order is Claire A/ Leon B. Basically because all the later stuff about Sherry getting kinnaped by the goverment to experiment with her and her power abilities in RE6 cause getting infected by Birkin as a child. Also I have completed my run through the 4 campaigns yesterday and I can say that Claire A/ Leon B is the most complete package in terms of story and events. Sure there's some differences like the way that both Irons and Ben died and the order and character who faces Birkin/Weird parasite mutation boss, as well as a bunch of scenes locations but the whole thing is the same, with the plus of Sherry getting infected. Leading for a more intense and complete ending IMO (The suspense if Sherry will heal or not, Ada saving Leon's ass after supposedly being killed by Tyrant 2: electric bogaloo).

Anyway, the joy of the B scenarios is how they change the gameplay, how they change the way you go thorugh the police station. And guess what? Leon B is the campaign that changes the most, with some "crucial" items being completely optional now, like the unicorn medal or the spade key. So, I will not get mad about losing the whole scenarios system if the campaings in RE 2 remake are Claire A / Leon B enhanced and fulfilled with new content.

PD: In case you had not noticed: Fuck Leon A / Claire B.

Machocruz

Arcane
Leon has the better arsenal to me, so B being a longer more epic scenario, I prefer to play his. Like I never played Claire or A scenarios again after the first run. Time is finite, and B is just too good bros

Last edited:

Black Plague

Arbiter
Shame your first RE experience was RE director's cut. The original RE had an amazing soundtrack that potentially edges it out as my fav of the classic bunch (along with the difficulty, which is highly important in a survival horror), and the director's cut throws it to the dogs in favor of some really jank midi shit. I didn't like the Remake's renditions of the original music but it's way better than that director's cut shit.

RE Director's cut has the original music. It's the dual shock edition that has the supreme quality soundtrack by deaf master composer.

Ash

Arcane
Leon has the better arsenal to me

That's a toughie. With Claire you get the Bow Gun, Grenade Launcher w/multiple ammo types and Spark Shot (!). With Leon you get the three-burst pistol, Custom Shotgun and Custom Magnum. Flamethrower is merely OK and just used for wasting some plants.

I'd say a tie, as it should be.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Claire's Grenade Launcher is way too good. Leon has fun custom weapons, but that Grenade Launcher alone carries Claire's arsenal to the top.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom