Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey all - just want to say I am liking the game so far, moreso than ELEX. It took some time to used to the combat but it was fun once my strong female character improved her magic skillz.

9.2/10 GOTY

death came swirling down.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Tyranny DLC came across to me as pretty garbage tbh. A main quest that only makes sense for the rebel path, more Oldwalls, pandering companion quests, lousy Alex Scokel writing.

Holy shit, I just got to the Bastard's Wound content and you were not kidding! Anyone who dislikes the writing in Tyranny should read some of the expansion to see what truly bad video game writing looks like. I still really like the Tales From The Tiers content, though.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
BW's writing is even worse than base game? Jesus Christ.

tenor.gif

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
BW's writing is even worse than base game? Jesus Christ.

tenor.gif
Yeah, everyone else had to move on, so the writing was left to this QA-turned-writer chump https://twitter.com/alexscokel

And from checking in on that, I see that he wrote Ydwin. Time to scratch her name off the list of people to bother with. (Mirke's there too, but she was never under consideration)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, everyone else had to move on, so the writing was left to this QA-turned-writer chump https://twitter.com/alexscokel

And from checking in on that, I see that he wrote Ydwin. Time to scratch her name off the list of people to bother with. (Mirke's there too, but she was never under consideration)

So you attribute the positive reception to Serafen entirely to Tony Evans eh

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron

So you attribute the positive reception to Serafen entirely to Tony Evans eh

What there is of Ydwin is really good. The Bastard's Wound content was rushed and poorly thought out, I'm not sure how badly it should reflect on those involved. Also, giving these existing companions to a new writer is going to be a recipe for disaster even if the writer in question is competent.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Bastard's Wound was terrible for me because I played an Imperial loyalist and the DLC is just completely incompatible with that. Also it was bland. The other DLC with just road encounters was better, as others said.

Game itself I think I enjoyed more than most the last few pages did. It was breezy and simple in a lot of ways but had a good style and I love my C&C. Ain't calling it a classic and wouldn't say it's great but I enjoyed it, especially at the sale price I got it for (taking years off and getting everything I missed in sales is truly lovely).

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Tyranny's ending is perfectly acceptable with the patched side-with-Kyros option. :smug:
That ending arguably makes even less sense due to the narrative leading up to it. It might just be all the other nonsense issues that gives that impression, however, meaning that this stands out as extra shitty.
... I played an Imperial loyalist ... and I love my C&C.
As someone that from the get-go tried to play a loyalist (or at least a reluctant loyalist) without being pants-on-head retarded kick-the-puppy evil (i.e. trying to make the best of a bad situation), I must ask: Are you fucking high? Outside of the Conquest mechanic, what "C&C"?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Tyranny's ending is perfectly acceptable with the patched side-with-Kyros option. :smug:
That ending arguably makes even less sense due to the narrative leading up to it. It might just be all the other nonsense issues that gives that impression, however, meaning that this stands out as extra shitty.
... I played an Imperial loyalist ... and I love my C&C.
As someone that from the get-go tried to play a loyalist (or at least a reluctant loyalist) without being pants-on-head retarded kick-the-puppy evil (i.e. trying to make the best of a bad situation), I must ask: Are you fucking high? Outside of the Conquest mechanic, what "C&C"?

You mean on the anarchist path? It’s the only one I haven’t done yet so I can’t speak for the amount of choice and consequence there after act one. Roguey ?

But if you mean the game in general, what the hell are you smoking? Tyranny is brimming with choice and consequence. Obviously there’s the big choice of who to side with in act one, which has profound and game altering consequences. There’s the final trial where you’re judged for just about everything you do in the game. There are the repeated opportunities to break your alliance and switch to the anarchist path. I could go on and on. The fact that you sometimes get very obviously railroaded later in the game is so irritating precisely because the player has gotten used to having so much choice earlier in the game.

The best part of Tyranny C&C in theory, even if it didn’t matter much in practice, was how your faction and companion related choices directly affected the gameplay. If the combat had been more challenging and better designed, the special abilities/buffs you get from increasing your favor or wrath with each faction would’ve been a lot more useful. But in theory, tying your narrative choices to the gameplay is always a good idea and Tyranny got that part right. With a truly challenging combat system, it would’ve had much more of an impact.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
How were the new companion quests for Very, Larry and Barry? Any good?

So far I’ve only done Verse’s and it was pretty subpar. The new companion quests are written by a different guy and it shows. Verse is supposed to be a bloodthirsty bitch but she turns into a big softy. I hope the Barik and Lantry quests will be better, but I’m not holding my breath.

Falksi

Arcane
About 1/4 into this and absolutely fucking thriving on it. Great writing, interesting characters, extremely accessable yet plenty of depth, and most of all I'm loving how interactive the combat is and how enemies feel like genuine opponents.

Co-playing this alongside Elex, and it's the best duel gaming sesh I've had in ages.

Falksi

Arcane
Around 25 hours in and been sound so far. Just reached Tunon's Court thought and the game has become absolutely slow as fuck performance wise.

Tried fucking about with all the settings but to no avail. Are there many more areas like this? May have to put it on hold until I uprade in a few years :(

Ulfhednar

Savant
Around 25 hours in and been sound so far. Just reached Tunon's Court thought and the game has become absolutely slow as fuck performance wise.

Tried fucking about with all the settings but to no avail. Are there many more areas like this? May have to put it on hold until I uprade in a few years :(
I played through the whole game on my 5 yr old PC... Perfomance never got much better for me after chapter 1, and took a nosedive in any area with persistent visual FX.

Duckard

Augur
Just played through this game. Interesting world and story but difficulty curve is all fucked up. I played on hard mode, and the hardest that game got was the spire fight at the end of Act I. May have just been because I didn't realize companion AI was on by default. Ended up with a fully party of mages half way through the game and just bombarded everything to death with so much AoE I couldn't even see where I was aiming at. The dialogue options from having Lore/Subterfuge/Athletics felt really good & powerful.

I think we can all agree Bleden Mark was definitely the best character.

Sannom

Augur
Just played through this game. Interesting world and story but difficulty curve is all fucked up. I played on hard mode, and the hardest that game got was the spire fight at the end of Act I.
For me it was the teleporting scouts who would also create a shockwave upon arrival. Like, why were those guys in the first act? Plus, they had mages. The Bronze Brotherhood and the Unbroken (the two enemies I fought later on) didn't have mages!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom