Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

Ocelot

Learned
The more i see kojima, rhe more i think konami is wise kicking him out. Seems like irresponsible money pit even he does make alot of it.

As much as I hate to say this, I agree with your statement. It's not the first time Kojima overdoes it with a game. He did the exact same thing with MGS5, which led to an unfinished game release and the end of the "Solid" series. Yes, MGS5 is extremely detailed and really fun and Death Stranding is probably going to be above average in general but I won't be surprised if it ends up being unfinished or rushed because of time and money issues.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I don't think anyone is more upset with Kojima than Kojima fans. He's made a career out of trolling us.

MGS2: Haha fuck you, you're playing this fag Raiden
MGS4: Haha fuck you, Snake is old
MGS5: Haha fuck you, you're not even playing as Big Boss

I think the only reason MGS3 turned out so well is because Kojima had less direct involvement with it, at least initially.

This game looks like a disaster but it could be amazing. Who knows? Right now it just looks weird for the sake of weird, but Kojima trailers are always full of tricks and misdirection. Probably wise not to draw too many conclusions.

Bocian

Arcane
Kojima even talked about how this was going to a new kind of action game that will take years to define, similar to how Metal Gear and Castle Wolfenstein predated the term "stealth game." So far this looks like a bleak hiking game.
Is Kojima the next Molyneux?

Big Wrangle

I'm gonna assume he would be bright enough to not go overbudget two times in a row, but I wonder what would be Kojima's excuse if the same shit as MGS5 happens and Sony decides to not fund his shit ever again.

Bocian

Arcane
QAU4Nds.jpg

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's gonna be great, however it ends. I love these kind of insane passion projects. It happens so seldom that studios give insane eccentric people free reign.

McPlusle

Savant
Are MGS games actually good? As a proud PC man, I never played them, but they always seemed like Splinter Cell type corridor stealthers.
The first three are really good. The first is fairly basic stealth-action with some really memorable setpieces and boss fights, 2 is more of the same but with a significantly better story, and 3 is one of the greatest action-adventure games of all time, with more open levels, tons of optional items, and some really nice extra attention-to-detail improvements.

I've played through all the MGS games and liked them enough (2 in particular). But when I played Deus Ex: Human Revolution, I felt like it was what MGS should have been at its base mechanics. Its the same sci-fi themed corridor stealth/action game that revolves around hugging walls, but executed a lot better.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Are MGS games actually good? As a proud PC man, I never played them, but they always seemed like Splinter Cell type corridor stealthers.
1 has the most balanced story (it's nothing special but it's not too outlandish and the characters are likeable), but the actual stealth mechanics are as deep as a puddle. It's better to play it expecting a series of set-pieces. It's a case of "you had to be there", has lost some charm
2 has the 2deep4u story (it's not that special if you ask me). I found it boring as fuck and characters are all shit. Gameplay stops every 2 minutes. Still too arcadey
3 is the most balanced one. Story is goofy in a good way, gameplay is good (may be awkward at first), good balance of gameplay/story segments, very replayable. Stealth mechanics improve a lot
4 has incredibly long cutscenes at the cost of less interruptions when playing. Story is shit. First 2 acts are good gameplay wise, but the rest of the game is awful
5 has the most polished mechanics and focus almost entirely on gameplay (except for the prologue). It's very replayable but mission structure and level design are very lackluster, you'll have to find ways to keep yourself entertained if you want to finish it without losing interest. Ground Zeroes is a fantastic level on its own, up there with the peak of the genre
I haven't played PW

Also play Snatcher

Last edited:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron

I have only played MGS 2,3 and 5 and I will tell you my opinio as a fellow PC man

MGS2 :I played it a long time ago,don't remember many things apart from the main story being an overcomplicated almost incomprehensible mess,the protagonist not being Snake but some fag and the rest of the cast wasn't something to write home about,gameplay was ok. I didn't keep my copy and gave it to a friend as soon as I finished it.Avoid it.

MGS3:I played this one with an emulator some time ago,some people consider it the best in the series and I can see why.The story is less complicated than the other MGS games and that helps,the gameplay was quite good and I would recommend it.

MGS5 changes things to become an open world game,the gameplay is good although level design isn't as good as previous games,since it's a long game it might get repetitive in the end especially the Mother Base management part.The story was ok and less intrusive than in other games because of the open world design.

Last edited:

Egosphere

Arcane

First 3, pretty decent. 1 was probably the most ground-breaking one, being a ps1 game in 1998. 2 ( which did have a PC release, called Substance ) was the most complicated one ( although I think the whole point of the game was to demonstrate how hype can affect your perception of reality, so it's a giant bait-and-switch and the most 'meta' game in the series, let down by the protagonist ), 3 was just a solid stealth game and a proper prequel to 1.

They are, however, overrated imo. Thief 1 is superior to MGS, Splinter Cell's gameplay was better that MGS2 etc.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Okay, Norman Reedus is a mail man on a post apocalyptic setting where there are invisible monsters that you can detect with some sort of device, at some point, Norman Reedus pulled out a yellow rifle, so there will be fights on the game. I predict open world shooter with cutscenes filled with cringe and non-sense like MGS 5. I bet Kojima will go all the way on his brand on symbolism and fourth wall breaking or on another words, symbols without meaning and alot of 2deep4you Hollywood pretension and fourth wall breaking that amounts to gimmicks that impress the average too impressionable journalist.

Probably we will have to watch 30 min long custscenes of men eating babies and Norman Reedus being gang raped by oil cloud shadows and getting pregnant with green energy producing babies, all of this being supposedly a metaphor for we exploiting the resources of Earth and destroying the planet the same way fighting giant robots and going on convoluted conflicts by convoluted secret factions with convoluted goals was a metaphor for the cold war.

Kojima just does bad anime with name dropping of real issues to supposedly make the bad anime look better than it is. The only difference is that instead of the cold war being the excuse to give artistic legitimacy to bad anime, it is now the environmental crisis the new excuse to give artistic legitimacy to bad anime.

Well, I can't be too hard on Kojima, at least we can play their games, so we have something to gain from his absurd nonsense fest, while modern artists are literally taking a dump on the middle of an art gallery and naming their shit art. On this context we live in, Kojima San is a hard working genius.

Gerrard

Arcane
Okay, Norman Reedus is a mail man on a post apocalyptic setting where there are invisible monsters that you can detect with some sort of device, at some point, Norman Reedus pulled out a yellow rifle, so there will be fights on the game. I predict open world shooter with cutscenes filled with cringe and non-sense like MGS 5. I bet Kojima will go all the way on his brand on symbolism and fourth wall breaking or on another words, symbols without meaning and alot of 2deep4you Hollywood pretension and fourth wall breaking that amounts to gimmicks that impress the average too impressionable journalist.

Probably we will have to watch 30 min long custscenes of men eating babies and Norman Reedus being gang raped by oil cloud shadows and getting pregnant with green energy producing babies, all of this being supposedly a metaphor for we exploiting the resources of Earth and destroying the planet the same way fighting giant robots and going on convoluted conflicts by convoluted secret factions with convoluted goals was a metaphor for the cold war.

Kojima just does bad anime with name dropping of real issues to supposedly make the bad anime look better than it is. The only difference is that instead of the cold war being the excuse to give artistic legitimacy to bad anime, it is now the environmental crisis the new excuse to give artistic legitimacy to bad anime.

Well, I can't be too hard on Kojima, at least we can play their games, so we have something to gain from his absurd nonsense fest, while modern artists are literally taking a dump on the middle of an art gallery and naming their shit art. On this context we live in, Kojima San is a hard working genius.
You are getting trolled, none of this shit that has been shown will actually be in the game.

sullynathan

Arcane

MGSV cost ~80 million to make and sold 6 million copies within the first 3 months. It was a massive financial success.
Doesn't make the game good,american fanboys are retarded,they buy every kind of shit.
Blaine

Everyone knows splinter cell is/was better

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Interesting take on it. I thought the baby maybe was another player that you have to guide and help, and when you die he takes over the journey (somehow).

Roygbiv

Novice
Start with 3 and work your way backwards imho. The 1st suffers slightly from poor mechanics, but the 2nd and 3rd still hold up very well. Splinter Cell is the better stealth game, but MGS is a completely different animal altogether. You ever try any other stealth games?

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
Start with 3 and work your way backwards imho. The 1st suffers slightly from poor mechanics, but the 2nd and 3rd still hold up very well. Splinter Cell is the better stealth game, but MGS is a completely different animal altogether. You ever try any other stealth games?

I disagree. Start with 1 if you can, the mechanics are really outdated and the story is mediocre despite being groundbreaking when it came out. It's still a good game, and I introduced someone to it this year. He liked it but he found the punishing (very old school) sections to be very discouraging. I'd play on easy because watching him play (on normal) made me remember that a lot of bosses including the more gimmicky ones really overstay their welcome. The Japanese version had only one difficulty setting and that became the NA version's easy.

Playing 1 is necessary in order to better appreciate 2's convoluted story (also replaying it a few times or reading up on it) but as you can see from the previous responses, it has a very mixed reception among fans. 2 has the most ambitious story out of any video game I've ever played and that's one of the reasons why it's my favorite. It's still deeply flawed with horrible pacing and poor writing (Kojima is a bad writer but apparently the translation had something to do with it) but builds up to one of the greatest twists in gaming.

3 is more of a return to form and pays homage to 60's action films. It's a wonderful game and the writing and pacing issues are rectified for the most part. It also works as a wonderful standalone so it's a good entry point if you don't want to deal with playing the first two.

Roygbiv

Novice

I disagree. Start with 1 if you can, the mechanics are really outdated and the story is mediocre despite being groundbreaking when it came out. It's still a good game, and I introduced someone to it this year. He liked it but he found the punishing (very old school) sections to be very discouraging. I'd play on easy because watching him play (on normal) made me remember that a lot of bosses including the more gimmicky ones really overstay their welcome. The Japanese version had only one difficulty setting and that became the NA version's easy.

Playing 1 is necessary in order to better appreciate 2's convoluted story (also replaying it a few times or reading up on it) but as you can see from the previous responses, it has a very mixed reception among fans. 2 has the most ambitious story out of any video game I've ever played and that's one of the reasons why it's my favorite. It's still deeply flawed with horrible pacing and poor writing (Kojima is a bad writer but apparently the translation had something to do with it) but builds up to one of the greatest twists in gaming.

3 is more of a return to form and pays homage to 60's action films. It's a wonderful game and the writing and pacing issues are rectified for the most part. It also works as a wonderful standalone so it's a good entry point if you don't want to deal with playing the first two.
I always just suggest people start with 3, because it's the easiest jump on point. It's as hard as Kingdom Hearts to get invested in imho. But either way would work. I personally am a huge MGS2 fan, i think it's a nearly flawless game.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
MGSV cost ~80 million to make and sold 6 million copies within the first 3 months. It was a massive financial success.
Doesn't make the game good,american fanboys are retarded,they buy every kind of shit.
Blaine

This isn't an argument I'm interested in having. The series is over and done with, Japanese developers don't give a flying kick what we think of their games (which is fantastic), and Codexers' tastes in action games are all over the map.

Bring me a brainlet who thinks that SMAC isn't great (they exist; I encountered such a decrepit creature just last week), and then maybe I'll flood the torpedo tubes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom