Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Bard's Tale IV Gameplay Snippets on Twitch and Shacknews E3 2018 Broadcasts

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Fargo; David Rogers; InXile Entertainment; The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep

Although many new games were announced at this year's E3, the traditional RPGs that the Codex is most interested in haven't had much of a presence. One of the few exceptions to that is inXile's upcoming The Bard's Tale IV, which made an appearance both on the Shacknews "Indie Heaven" stream on Tuesday and on today's Twitch E3 broadcast. Presenting the game was a very enthusiastic David Rogers, also joined by Brian Fargo in today's broadcast. They appear to have brought a new gameplay reel with them, which offers a glimpse at areas which aren't part of the currently available backer alpha, as well as at the game's character creation UI. Both streams are about ten minutes long. Watch here:

Other than the footage, there's not much new information here, but it is worth noting than in both presentations, David only says the game is due out "this year", without specifying the Q3 release window that was announced back in February. Hmmm.

Diggfinger

Arcane
So looks less shitty better than Underworld. Fingers crossed it does well, so Fargo can enjoy his retirement and print gold Fallout 1 big boxes for his fans :love:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Movement grid and long animations are gonna be two huge problems impeding enjoyment of combat. Mark my words.

ooh puzzles. I like it. Too bad there's so much combat, i like peaceful solutions, or at least the challenge to find the least painful ones, and that's infact the "reason of life" for a puzzle

Last edited:

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
The combat feels condensed in BT IV to fit with console sensibilities.
It might very well become a good game in regard of what they're intending it to be.
Though I don't know how I feel about it being a successor to the original trilogy.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
The 3d models of the party members look bulky... and why is that many textures and the environment look rough and bulky as well? Or is that just bad video compression?

As already mentioned, I can see the slow combat becoming an issue. It's even tedious to watch now...... chrrr..... *falls asleep*.
Also the many glowing, sparkling, flowing effects and lines in the combat UI become fatigueing on the eyes.

I liked the dialogue though when they fell through the floor (somewhere in the youtube video). Nice and entertaining.

Last edited:

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
Music is optimizable... a LOT!
Give the Creative Director a little bit weed if he can handle it. It could optimize his enthusiasm:D!

Burning effects like seen in the stream is just too much imo.
1. In this case red glowing doesn`t fit
2. Glowing in general could destroy the beauty of the art (Monster looks shitty)

Solution:
Realistic blisters

All these flashy and glowing effects is just:retarded:

The stupid grid takes too much attention.
What is the point making a visually attractive game if you congest it with lines.

Solution:
Give the player a hotkey e.g. by pressing "CTRL" the grid gets visible and releasing the key disables the grid.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
BT4 looks unchanged from the beta release; that's bad news. Many had hoped that their forum feedback would clue them in a bit—if they'ed listen. :(

Sadly, it's not just misguided brainstorming, this is the game that they want to make.
:negative:
I cannot believe that they showed off the simplistic door puzzle in the official demo/trailer; that's a telling harbinger.

As for the low quality texturing... It looked like that in the demo. It's not impossible that the private beta textures were placeholders, but it's seemingly unlikely now, since they appear to be the same in an industry PR event.

Last edited:

Glop_dweller

Prophet
One can postpone their hopes until then... But I expect no major changes to what we've already seen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom