Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dying Light 2 Stay Human - zombie survival with choice & consequence

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Find a video or an official text from the developers where they refer to the game as an RPG.

Find a video or an official text from the developers where they refer to the game as an RPG.

from a story about techland applying for a polish government grant:

Techland’s proposal was to “develop innovative technologies to promote the effective production of high-tech gaming AAA.” Specifically, the studio is looking to “prototype interaction with opponents of unusual size” for an upcoming first person open world fantasy RPG using DirectX12 technology as well. While this is the first peice of actual information on the mysterious title, fans were clued in to its actual existence earlier this year during a brief announcement at the Digital Dragons event by Techland CEO Pawel Marchewka.

source

Perkel

Arcane

GUYS we found a way to define RPGs. You just need to say it and VAM there it is.
You do realize your argument is dumb ? I mean there were shitload of devs who said their game is rpg, starting with call of duty devs.

You even retardoed AC:Oddysey thread i made where developers in conference said it is role-playing-game and i know you watched that conference and laughed from it like me because i saw you in shoutbox commenting on it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
GUYS we found a way to define RPGs. You just need to say it and VAM there it is.

Believe it or not, that is in fact the official Codex policy for deciding where to put threads. The alternative is endless, pointless genre classification wars.

You even retardoed AC:Oddysey thread i made where developers in conference said it is role-playing-game and i know you watched that conference and laughed from it like me because i saw you in shoutbox commenting on it.

Have you checked where the AC: Odyssey thread is recently?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Believe it or not, that is in fact the official Codex policy for deciding where to put threads. The alternative is endless, pointless genre classification wars.

Have you checked where the AC: Odyssey thread is recently? :P
Most certainly this is more of an RPG than Fallout 69 nuke them all! Doubt that many codexers will dispute this fact.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I wonder where's the point that makes MCA himself (and Techland devs and/or PR for that matter) think this is not an RPG. Is the character system so simple and combat/movement-centric so not directly interact with C&C part? Or is it PR decision? Because the first game is not an RPG, so to not alienate the first game's audience?

from a story about techland applying for a polish government grant:

Techland’s proposal was to “develop innovative technologies to promote the effective production of high-tech gaming AAA.” Specifically, the studio is looking to “prototype interaction with opponents of unusual size” for an upcoming first person open world fantasy RPG using DirectX12 technology as well. While this is the first peice of actual information on the mysterious title, fans were clued in to its actual existence earlier this year during a brief announcement at the Digital Dragons event by Techland CEO Pawel Marchewka.

source

That "open world fantasy RPG" is most likely not Dying Light 2. IIRC Techland boss mentioned few years ago that they're working on Dying Light 2 and a fantasy RPG.

Oracsbox

Isn't the open world rpg referred to in that announcement from 2016 Hellraid which is currently on hiatus ? while they decide to carry on with it or finally shelve it.

As to whether dying light 2 is an rpg it's certainly more of one than failout 76 that Dying light 2 teaser trailer and presentation had more rpg elements in it than most recent bethesda games and it was all of about 5 minutes long.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
DL1 was OK, but by the time I got to the 2nd major area I figured I'd seen it all and I had an intense desire to murder every named character who spoke a line of dialog to me. Plus the 2nd area kind of sucks and guns sucked for both enemies and the player. If DL2 can fix this it'll be pretty neat.

Yep DL1 is actually a fun game if you just want to run around and bash zombies, but the character, story and dialogue design is so brain meltingly awful it will make you want to stab a sharp pencil deep into your eardrums. The whole game would be better if there were no NPCs at all and it was just a zombie killing sandbox.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

This is some next level storytelling right here ... I mean next level as in bad or retarded.

The story in the first game doesn't make much sense but at least the zombies were believable cause the story took place after the original outbreak.

But 15 years later!? No fucking way. Either people feed them on purpose or they don't know what to do with them. It's probably hard to do a sequel to a zombies game without the actual zombies ... but 15 years of zombies running around don't make sense either.

At least The Last of US put them in a state of hibernation but the ones from the first Dying Light were pretty kinetic to say the least.

Also: MCA's writing makes any game a true RPG!?

Quillon

Arcane
These dudes are making an engine for the first game, they don't find it enough for the second game and rewriting it quickly while Obs is competent engineless for 15 years(& still alive tho, gratz).

Ash

Arcane
DL1 was OK, but by the time I got to the 2nd major area I figured I'd seen it all and I had an intense desire to murder every named character who spoke a line of dialog to me. Plus the 2nd area kind of sucks and guns sucked for both enemies and the player. If DL2 can fix this it'll be pretty neat.

Yep DL1 is actually a fun game if you just want to run around and bash zombies, but the character, story and dialogue design is so brain meltingly awful it will make you want to stab a sharp pencil deep into your eardrums. The whole game would be better if there were no NPCs at all and it was just a zombie killing sandbox.

I don't know about that. Yeah it's a parkour/zombie murdering combat simulator and the story elements are completely forgettable, yet it's all still appreciated for the additional sense of purpose. Excuses to go do xyz activity beyond the thrills. Sense of immersion and place (e.g story dictates we can't leave the city because it's been walled off)...eh maybe you're right. Besides, there's many methods of storytelling and it doesn't have to be done through annoying NPCs. Though you'd still want some NPCs just for plain varieties' sake in an open world, even if most are met fighting for their life with zombies only to be promptly killed. The less is more approach would probably help the game more than complete removal of NPCs. Name a single (good) large scale open world game without any friendly NPCs. And don't say minecraft because that has highly dynamic NPC substitutes: other players.

Last edited:

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
OK, this task demands Codex finest stalkers available to step forward.

Multiple articles on the net mention the Bloody Baron writing team joining Techland to write for Dying Light 2. Is Karolina Stachyra involved, or is this a marketing ploy?

Ash

Arcane
Meh who cares. Am in it for the parkour and drop-kicking zombies, same as DL1.

DROPKICK.gif

They get the gameplay right as they half-did with DL1, then I am happy. They make a highly engaging story on top and make it more of an RPG then this will be added to my true favorites list.

Last edited:

Jarmaro

Liturgist

Have you checked where the AC: Odyssey thread is recently? :P
Did Todd or Bethesda say that Fallout:76 is RPG? Beceause its thread is still in RPG instead of General for some reason.

Ash

Arcane
I think it's safe to assume off the bat that it will either be an RPG or fake RPG (e.g FO4) like all games in the series. Then again, it may need moving to the MMORPG subforums, actually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom