Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, set in ancient Greece - it's definitely an RPG now

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Second Screenshot: All those Delian families destroyed!
Thanks for mentioning this, it annoyed me a lot when I heard it. It looks like every dumbfuck with piercing and tats who walks into an office gets hired as a writer nowadays.

Deleted member 7219

It's gonna be great.

Shame I won't have a PC that can play it. Not for another 3 years or so.

RepHope

Savant
Is Origins worth playing? It looks pretty bad. I haven't played an AC game since the first and second games. I liked some aspects of both games, but found them overall to be boring, and I was extremely put off by the 'collect a million useless icons'-style gameplay present in both titles (but far worse in the second game).

I also despise this MMO-like game design, with level numbers above all the enemies and stuff.
It’s ok. Not great, but better than AssCreed has been in years. The goals and motivations of the Order of Ancients are absolutely retarded and make no sense. Bayek is likeable if a little one-note, but his bitch wife is absolutely insufferable.

Perkel

Arcane
Both Betsheda and Bioware don't make RPGs instead they make multplayer shooters.
Ubisoft which makes ac game every year actually moved toward making actual RPGs and dropping whole AC shittick.
Strage times indeed. Will probably buy it. Too big Greece geek

Ac is basically now Ubisoft Final Fantasy just with way dumber name.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey will have more RPG elements than Anthem. Jesus Christ.
And it will still feel half-assed and useless.

Either keep the theme park romp perfected by Syndicate or go full-on Witcher 3 for fucks sake.

I feel like they have already go full-on Witcher 3. What else can they add? Character Creation?

What else can they add?

Some actual talent, or at least effort, when it comes to writing.

6sK.jpg

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Is Origins worth playing? It looks pretty bad. I haven't played an AC game since the first and second games. I liked some aspects of both games, but found them overall to be boring, and I was extremely put off by the 'collect a million useless icons'-style gameplay present in both titles (but far worse in the second game).

I also despise this MMO-like game design, with level numbers above all the enemies and stuff.
It’s ok. Not great, but better than AssCreed has been in years. The goals and motivations of the Order of Ancients are absolutely retarded and make no sense. Bayek is likeable if a little one-note, but his bitch wife is absolutely insufferable.

Can you assassinate the wife?

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
First game was short, boring but elegant, and somewhat mature despite its ridiculous finale, with a satisfying take on the period (i'm no historian, I count on autists to note the myriad of minute details that make no sense ofc).
Second game fixed the issue by removing the main quest entirely and going full side stuff shit, turning a boring yet elegant game into a boring game. But hey now it takes more than 8 hours YAAAY.
Also, targets monologues unveiling the plot by instilling guilt in the player's mind have been replaced by inane and pointless I don't wanna die or you so stewpid ezio shit punctuated by a badass® hilariously ridiculous REQUIESCAT IN PASTA DUDE :lol:
There hasn't been a reason to pay attention to this series since its second opus, so I'll ask : who cares ?

Reddit AMA said:
The game is about how the Pieces of Eden came into the men's hands before the whole Assassin vs Templer came into play.

Gear is not random in most cases, it's deliberately placed within the world.

They based the game world, as usual, on historian advice and locale visits.

The game will feature 7 different kinds of biomes.

Dynamic weather is in.

Sailing is not the main focus, less than Black Flag, but systems will be in place in case people want to go deeper.

There are sharks.

The game has MORE content than AC Origins (Which was insane).

Modern Day is not optional but it can be expanded based on your choices.

All editions will have reversible covers.

The "triangular" design philosophy of the AC franchise is based on the illuminati.

You can pet dogs.

While the game "includes" the canon story, the real canon is in the novel, in which Kassandra is the protagonist.

You can respec at any time but not every skill is unlockable.

There are no usable shields.

There are references to old AC games.

No camels, of course.

Tomb puzzles are back.

The brotherhood mechanics are back with your ship crew.

"Fantastical" abilities are not mandatory. You can play the game as realistic as you want.

Dialogue impacts the ending.

The lead writer is Meliisa MacCoubrey, writer of ACIV: Freedom Cry.

While the map is bigger than Origins', half of it is sea.

No graphic sex scenes/nudity.

jf8350143

Liturgist
So the female protagonist is cannon, interesting choice, will trigger some fans for sure.

Also it's quite funny to see that people hates Ubisoft turn Odyssey into a RPG claiming that "There are plenty of other RPGs out there why turn this into another one."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom