Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Trashos

Arcane
Useless talk. Stop talking about this boys vs. girls shit right now.
I agree it's not really worthy of discussion. Just one more aspect of how writing has declined at Obsidian...
New Vegas did the same thing. Trudy, Ranger Ghost, Jeannie May, Colonel Moore, even Tabitha at Black Mountain. You said yourself the writing doesn't make it especially relevant that they're women, so I'm not seeing how it comes across as forced or shoehorned

New Vegas was a SJW game, it was just done in a competent manner and it didn't trigger people too much. Just look at the sexual orientation of companions, the NCR-related organization leaders, and the "hi, I am gay" perk (Confirmed Bachelor). Now the competence is gone, and what is left is the naked idiocy.

AwesomeButton, you are wasting your time, Obsidian is full of hardcore libruls, and so are most people itt. You even had posts rated as "cuck" while mentioning the over-representation of women in positions of power, which is the standard tactic of hardcore SJWs (to accuse someone of what they themselves are guilty of).

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The Hat of Ultimate Balance, almost ready:

fQkrWsz.jpg

nlLpLL1.jpg

WrvUvro.jpg

I just have to update the description and analyze the balance

:balance:

Sizzle

Arcane
Just look at the sexual orientation of companions

In NV, two of them were gay, out of eight. And they weren't in your face about it at all, and you could easily miss their sexuality if they didn't mention it off-hand. Which is exactly how it should be handled.

and the "hi, I am gay" perk (Confirmed Bachelor)

An optional perk you didn't have to pick (but most did, because it gave you +10% damage). You weren't "forced" to pick it, you just liked the extra damage, and are now literally butthurt that it had consequences.

As for AwesomeButton theory, IHaveHugeNick already disproved that.

Has anyone noticed the abnormal tendency that many, nearly every, figure of power is a woman in Deadfire? Starting with the digsite expedition leader

Who responds to the male mayor of Port Maje.
the Aelys

2nd in command behind Furrante.

the boss of the RDC in Neketaka...

Who seems like a figurehead while the man in the basement actually runs things.

That's 3 of 4 examples that are wrong. And then Vallians are run by a man, Crockspur is run by a man, the Gullet is run by a man, do I go on?

You're seeing things that aren't there.

Not much more that needs to be said about that. There definitely is some SJW content in PoE2, but "women wielding power in a fantasy game" isn't one of it.

Shadenuat

Arcane
It's not like Tyranny and you miss most of bad stuff if you never take companions, but it does have some lulz. My top one is when drunk old guy cannoneer from prologue got into a scripted event where he tried to fuck my dude and was very disappointed he did not. Morale was really low before we sunk another random trade ship.

Trashos

Arcane
In NV, two of them were gay, out of eight. And they weren't in your face about it at all, and you could easily miss their sexuality if they didn't mention it off-hand. Which is exactly how it should be handled.

An optional perk you didn't have to pick (but most did, because it gave you +10% damage). You weren't "forced" to pick it, you just liked the extra damage, and are now literally butthurt that it had consequences.

Lol, a (powerful) perk turned your PC gay without any warning, and you think it's perfectly fine? Your brain is gone, man.

Also, what a fucking propagandist you are. That's 2 out *6* companions who are gay (Arcade, Veronica), you shouldn't be counting ED-E and the dog. And Cass is bi. That's half the companions.

Confirmed Batchelor isn't even an "I'm gay" perk, it's a perk that lets you manipulate gay people

"Are traps gay?"

2house2fly

Magister
"Without warning" except for the perk name, image and description.

It's not like Tyranny and you miss most of bad stuff if you never take companions, but it does have some lulz. My top one is when drunk old guy cannoneer from prologue got into a scripted event where he tried to fuck my dude and was very disappointed he did not. Morale was really low before we sunk another random trade ship.
Just turn them down politely and there's no morale loss

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
"Without warning" except for the perk name, image and description.

Just turn them down politely and there's no morale loss
That's pretty weird, though. What is that character going to say to the crew for morale to drop? "The cap'n kicked me out of his bunk because he didn't want to fuck me up the ass!" and everyone else go "*gasp* Mutiny!!1!!!1!"?

Shadenuat

Arcane
That -28% XP from Deadly Deadfire is super. After some Neketaka business and Deadlight I'm of very average level 8. Killed Steel Preacher and some other hard encounters too.

But, the more I try to make game harder, the more I realise that I just delay the inevitable;

and that no matter what you think about it, the whole accuracy system, and monster design, just sucks.

Tried running Divinity music over the game. That music made me realise how inherently more monotonous PoE is compared to other rpgs, and how tedious it can often be. No wonder it's music is also so slow and weariful.

Just can't beat that core problem of either grazing enemies for 0.3 damage or stomping them outright. Never a middleground.

It feels as in games like D:OS or other tb games I am making decisions in combat. In PoE it often feels like... I am working. (usually because of tracking enemy recovery and mashing Press Me buttons like ~10 sec buffs)

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
The durations of many things are too short, yes. Only Moonwell and Nature's Mark have respectable durations.

Tigranes

Arcane
Eh, in POE1 durations for everything felt too short to bother, because often players would graze shit and then you'd spend 3 secs in recovery having landed a 4 sec paralyse. But once you learnt to stack accuracy and attack weak defences, you could, with a lot of prep, potentially petrify dragons for ~30 seconds - so it was a good system.

With POE2 it does feel like everything is a bit shorter than 1, which is part of the many ways in which massive mob disabling spells become less of a gamechanger. I wonder if the real problem here doesn't lie with the durations per se, but that enemies should be using shielding spells more often? I'd like to see more mages come in with Arcane Deflection (& throw Dampeners at you, which does seem to happen a fair bit), Priests use anti-paralyse circle spell (That's still around, right?), and even enemy fighters drinking potions against affliction. Right now, 80% of the time you're just watching the enemy's defence value, and the other 20% they have some inbuilt immunity. It would be better to have the enemies mbe more active about using spells.

They do seem to do a pretty good job with things like Unbending - nothing like strugglign against a fighter class named boss trying to penetrate his tough armour, and then dude uses upgraded Unbending so if you're stupid enough to hit them they'll use it & radid recovery to essentially heal off your attacks. That's cool to see, given it's one of the go-to things to make player characters tanky.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I seriously dislike Supress because it cancels everything, from arcane spells to heals to natural abilities drugs and potions.

Same for some random ability woedica cultists have 20 secs cancels ALL active abilities (potions and grenades are also active abilities roofles). Without any distinct animation btw.

Stuff like Fear makes a lot more sense.

After Unbending became 2/5 of what it was I don't find fighters difficult anymore. I'd say top rocks are paladins and paladin hybrids. If AI has all it's lay on hands you might just slam your head on keyboard and roll around because you're not going anywhere for a long time.

For Wizard, I found the wonders of enchanting. Vital Essense > Fleet Feet + Spirit Shield = gentleperson's packet. Have to click 3 times though.

I can't but find 1st level wizard spells the best spell level in the game with best combination of spells to pick in the game.

Last edited:

Sizzle

Arcane

Lol, a (powerful) perk turned your PC gay without any warning, and you think it's perfectly fine? Your brain is gone, man.

Which you just had to pick, because that +10% damage bonus is so damn enticing you couldn't live without it. After all, F:NV is a very difficult game, you need all the damage you can possibly get :lol:

Also, lol at the without any warning part - it couldn't be spelled out more clearly.

That's 2 out *6* companions who are gay (Arcade, Veronica)

Companions which don't try to hit on you, whose sexuality isn't overt, and is by no means their only defining character trait.

And Cass is bi.

Cass is a sad, broken alcoholic who (in her own words) doesn't care who she ends up with. I've known people like that, they aren't strictly bi in the sense that people usually are - they just want someone, anyone, to make the pain go away for a bit.

That's half the companions.

That have a total of, what, maybe ten lines in total where they make references to their sexuality?

Much SJW, wow, very pandering, such libruls, so agenda.

Tigranes

Arcane
I seriously dislike Supress because it cancels everything, from arcane spells to heals to natural abilities drugs and potions.

Same for some random ability woedica cultists have 20 secs cancels ALL active abilities (potions and grenades are also active abilities roofles). Without any distinct animation btw.

Stuff like Fear makes a lot more sense.

After Unbending became 2/5 of what it was I don't find fighters difficult anymore. I'd say top rocks are paladins and paladin hybrids. If AI has all it's lay on hands you might just slam your head on keyboard and roll around because you're not going anywhere for a long time.

For Wizard, I found the wonders of enchanting. Vital Essense > Fleet Feet + Spirit Shield = gentleperson's packet. Have to click 3 times though.

I can't but find 1st level wizard spells the best spell level in the game with best combination of spells to pick in the game.

What's wrong with Dampener causing drug crash, for example? I think it's the one time the game cleverly provides a meaningful danger with drug use. The cancel active abilities is also cool, forces you to think differently and bide your time a little bit instead of doing everything in combat at your own pace. Just needs proper animation.

Paladin is definitely king at the moment, for both players and enemies. Never found it to make combat truly interminable though.

I would have redistributed wiz/priest/druid spells a bit and play around, just so that wizard isn't the clear winner on everything.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Confirmed Batchelor isn't even an "I'm gay" perk, it's a perk that lets you manipulate gay people

During my first few runs of NV i thought that confirmed bachelor was a perk to represent your pc being an incel type
I mean ffs, "confirmed" bachelor does sound like an offhand way of saying alone for life.

And reason you got damage buff versus other dudes is because, like most incels who flip out and go on killing rampages, despite their dreams of murdering lots of sexy women, they always seem to end up killing mostly dudes. And indeed, their manifestos tend to include details about how they want to kill all the men so they can keep all the ladies to themselves.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Defenses of mobs rising with level is starting to piss me off a little bit. I'm in the tomb under the Sacred Stair, severely underleveled for there and I can't kill the Risen Champion, he just won't die, his defenses are so high and he regens whatever minimal damage I do. He's the last one alive and he kills my entire party by simply auto attacking because I run out of spells and Empowers at one point. Pretty annoying.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Having your own invulnerable tank & some decent ranged weapons helps.

But yeah that's PoE system for you, bigger numbers + regen just does this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom