Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

vonAchdorf

Arcane
From Software games mostly aren't - contrary to the myth - especially difficult.

PrettyDeadman

From Software games mostly aren't - contrary to the myth - especially difficult.

That's not really the point. The bad news is Activision clearly has a relatively huge input into what the game should or should not be.

That's what they get for releasing the same game on almost an early basis for 8 years.
I hoped FromSoft realised the cancer they created, but I doubt that Activision will miss a chance to continue milking soultards.

Suicidal

Arcane
One of the biggest changes will be to difficulty. Sekiro is published by Activision, who has requested that FromSoftware tone down their famously gruelling approach to challenge. Miyazaki told Japanese site Game’s Talk that his team has taken on the publisher’s principles for “appropriate onboarding.”

Damn, this is worrying. From Software's games were never particularly difficult. Tone down the challenge even further and you risk making one of those "press X to win" games. From has accumulated a very rabid fanbase over the years and making a move like that can make them really mad and destroy the goodwill they have towards the company.

Also, why is this topic suddenly in the General Gaming section? I thought all Japanese games, no matter the genre, must go into the weeb section as per Codex's retarded glorious rules.

L'Montes

Educated
From Miyazaki interview with GamesTalk:

One of the biggest changes will be to difficulty. Sekiro is published by Activision, who has requested that FromSoftware tone down their famously gruelling approach to challenge. Miyazaki told Japanese site Game’s Talk that his team has taken on the publisher’s principles for “appropriate onboarding.”
Screen_Shot_2015-05-12_at_3.31.31_PM.png

So this weeb shit is confirmed dead on arrival, good to know. I'll spend my money on Nioh 2.

Nioh 2 is adding character customization too. It's just a few really bad hair options away from being a souls game now. (/s)

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Damn, this is worrying. From Software's games were never particularly difficult. Tone down the challenge even further and you risk making one of those "press X to win" games. From has accumulated a very rabid fanbase over the years and making a move like that can make them really mad and destroy the goodwill they have towards the company.

The game only needs to appear somewhat difficult to the average souls ""fan"" who believes souls is the epitome of difficulty. The type who would say shit like "cuphead is the dark souls of platformers". The sort that never genuinely played hard games and would choke at the thought of playing an arcade game with a single credit.

There's absolutely no risk of backlash as long as it doesn't devolve into something as retarded as Asscreed combat.

It means this is not in fact Activision IP or Activition funded product. They are just publishers who will distribute it outside of japan and asia.

From Miyazaki interview with GamesTalk:

Screen_Shot_2015-05-12_at_3.31.31_PM.png
from his Famitsu interview:

We don't often hear of From working with that level of collaboration.
Miyazaki: That's right. But let me say this clearly: all decisions about game development are made by us. Activision respects the game that we are making, and that we desire to make, and offers play impressions as well as advice about what we could do to improve the game. As always, we ask that all decisions after the title screen be left to us, and we've been successful in collaborating under this framework.

I didn't expect that Activision would be involved in the creative aspects of the game.
Miyazaki: "Creative aspects" is quite vague, but what Activision principally focuses on is ease of play, comfort, and appropriate onboarding [tutorial-ish]. It's embarassing to say, but we're not particularly strong in those areas, so it helps greatly.

http://blog.bagoum.com/article/06-13-18-sekiro

I would be surprised if Activisions "decline" will be anything other than proper AAA games tutorial instead of Dark Souls cryptic messages.

There was the same concern of casualization before DS2 relase. All they did was better UI and some QoL improvements that were more than welcomed.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I would be surprised if Activisions "decline" will be anything other than proper AAA games tutorial instead of Dark Souls cryptic messages.
You mean like what DS2 had? Because god damn that was cringeworthy (and still failed to show really important shit like the dual wielding mechanic). How about you let me play the game ffs.

You mean like what DS2 had? Because god damn that was cringeworthy (and still failed to show really important shit like the dual wielding mechanic). How about you let me play the game ffs.
Did you even play DS2? What was cringeworthy? Tutorial stones in Things Betwixt instead of orange messages in Undead Asylum?

Dual wielding mechanic in DS2: put second weapon in your shield slot in inventory screen....like in every other crpg in last two decades.

Or did you mean power stance ? :troll:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

:deathclaw:

What the fuck are you babbling on about? DS2 is the only Souls game where you can pretty much skip the tutorial are.

Damned Registrations

How about the fact that it was literally a major area dedicated to tutorializing the player with completely contrived shit like a dagger 5 feet away from an enemy with it's back turned and arena rooms so you can learn how to use shields to block arrows? DS1 basically doesn't even have a tutorial area- the asylum serves as a major plot/setting element and is a legitimate area on your return. DeS did things well also.

Sekiro is probably going to have fucking pop up messages and on screen button prompts if they thought that shit wasn't enough. Hell, it'll probably disable half the features until you're 4 hours in to avoid overwhelming the retards.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't even understand the RAGEEEE against tutorial area lmao

Sure it sucks after you play the game for the first time, but clarity of information is always nice. Making it skippable would probably better. Instead of actual area in the game do it like The Witcher 2 where the tutorial is optional choice from the main menu disconnected from the rest of the game.

Disabling feature tho is not and hopefully nothing likes that will be implemented.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Not related to Sekiro, but interesting bit from an interview about From's PS VR exclusive game: http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06...eautiful-cryptic-experience-from-fromsoftware

Déraciné doesn’t define a new direction for FromSoftware, as action - such as its adjacent title Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - is still its bread and butter. However, I got the sense that Déraciné something of a delightful experiment for the studio, a quiet moment of reprieve in among all the bloodletting.

“It wasn't necessarily that I wanted to … not moving away, but taking a break from the Souls series wasn't the only strongest motivation to work on this game. As a result of now coming to the stage of being able to show what we have so far, it has really helped us, helped me, freshen things up. It's not just about a different kind of game or a different format. We're learning things in VR, which is new technology. This game is actually also developed in Unreal. There's been a lot of learnings already.

“By no means are we going to stray ourselves away from the more or less more mainstream games that we’re known for,” Miyazaki continues resiliently, in the dark. “I think this segue will only give us good learnings, good experiences, and that's something that we can reflect on and will have a good influence on the other games that we'd work on in the future. It's been really good learning experience.”

So learning Unreal with Sony-funded VR game, for the future games? Fine by me.

Damned Registrations

You really don't get it. I didn't find it annoying the second time, but the first time. A disconnected tutorial would indeed have been much better. All that fourth wall breaking shit in an area I felt compelled to explore not to learn shit, but to avoid missing something unique. Horrible way to start the game off. Honestly I don't think tutorials are even necessary for a game like this. A list of keybindings and the tooltips on stats are plenty. If you need a fucking tutorial to learn how to walk, run, and throw a punch, in a nice safe area with no enemies that can hurt you, you're some kind of retard. It's insulting. This isn't fucking Guilty Gear. And they want to hold your hand even more now? Jesus.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Seems to me like those film directors who got tired of huge spectacles and made an arthouse movie. Example - Peter Jackson and Lovely Bones. Nobody gave a shit about that movie but it was therapeutic for Jackson after LotR and King Kong. Let Miyazaki have his therapeutic moment and let's hope he's not gonna degenerate like Jackson did.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
A disconnected tutorial would indeed have been much better.

This. DS2 initial area is pretty bad, although they did make it a bit more interesting in SotFS with the statue and the red phantom. Still nothing to write home about. There was no tutorial in DeS and DS1 and none was needed. If anything there was anti-tutorial in both: after killing a handful of hollows BLAM, a huge boss fight. That's the gameplay philosophy that's put From on the map.

Deflowerer

Arcane
I feel bad for FROM a bit because I think they've been pidgeonholed into making Souls-type games now.

Can't wait for the next AC to drop and some low-brow Souls faggot start bitching about it...

:negative:

Mind you, the games are fantastic, but the fanbase is a tad bit degenerate, especially to old FROMfags like me.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
let's hope he's not gonna degenerate like Jackson did.
Dark Souls 3 though.

True. I comfort myself with the suspicion Miyazaki hasn't contributed to DS3 that much. The game was developed simultaneously with Bloodborne and he was mostly involved with that. If you look at credits there are no co-directors on Bloodborne whereas there are two for DS3. Also Bloodborne is a masterpiece whereas DS3 is a piece of shit. All that should tell you everything there's to tell.

Big Wrangle

We gonna get Metal Wolf Chaos in there though. Maybe it's a matter of time now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom