Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Well at least it gives you a use for all the damn sabres.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Context is why most rpgs never get it right.
(Fuck sounded like Sawyer here, I meant particular party based combat games of course)

Until game systems add positioning and threat range into their combat systems, fighting with sword or two daggers won't ever really be different. Reach ranges, medium ranges, contextual bonuses to weapon types depending on range, that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Good old D&D has everything you listed and more.
And yet everyone is trying to invent their own bicycle instead of using some D&D derivative, d20 srd for example.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Rule of thumb - if it looks like gay anime shit/Hollywood nonsense, it usually is. Just because it was in some fencing manual, doesn't mean it anyone treated that part of the manual seriously and used in real combat. Especially dual-wielding the exact same weapon is patently absurd. Parrying-stabby weapon in one hand and swing weapon in the other I can live with.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Rule of thumb - if it looks like gay anime shit/Hollywood nonsense, it usually is. Just because it was in some fencing manual, doesn't mean it anyone treated that part of the manual seriously and used in real combat. Especially dual-wielding the exact same weapon is patently absurd. Parrying-stabby weapon in one hand and swing weapon in the other I can live with.

True ‘dat. Dual wielding two relatively long swords is usually counterproductive. Two sabres, for example, are going to get in the way of each other. In nearly every case of dual wielding it’s either two short weapons or one long one short. Your left hand dagger doesn’t get in the way of your right hand rapier.

The only serious example I’ve found of someone using two fairly sizable swords was Musashi, who used a katana and a wakizashi when facing multiple opponents. But he was the best fencer the Japanese ever produced; there’s a good reason mere mortals never tried this shit.

Parabalus

Arcane
Sawyer in charge of balancing, two weapons just attack too fast for no reason at all. There is absolutely no reason why they should attack twice as fast as one weapon, that's just silly.

IIRC Tyranny had that, you attack with one weap after another with normal recovery for each one, it was garbage.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I am working now on a mod called "Hat of Ultimate Balance". It will halve all your stats and give some ability (I am still not so sure which one). Probably will drop on JS npc.

The other trinket I will release soon is the "Ballroom Blitz". It will summon 5 enemies Fampyr and 2 friendly Fampyr. It will be fun.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Finished Hosongo because I was close to there either way, it also seems like you can go through it in multiple ways. I had to mostly pacifist through it because I was underleveled and those elemental summoning fetishes were a bitch... I even managed to subdue the last boss with Intimidate, which was cool. My Skaen sacrifice has changed, it now gives ranged Accuracy only (in addition to +1 PER), which is mostly shit for me, it wasn't like this in PoE1, I should've sacrificed the Devil, but how could I have known.

Parabalus

Arcane
Finished Hosongo because I was close to there either way, it also seems like you can go through it in multiple ways. I had to mostly pacifist through it because I was underleveled and those elemental summoning fetishes were a bitch... I even managed to subdue the last boss with Intimidate, which was cool. My Skaen sacrifice has changed, it now gives ranged Accuracy only (in addition to +1 PER), which is mostly shit for me, it wasn't like this in PoE1, I should've sacrificed the Devil, but how could I have known.

Devil gives +1 PEN, best sacrifice by far I think. You lose out on her armor though, which is apparently the best one?

Lacrymas

Arcane
The talks with the gods are pointless. They all say one sentence and that's it. They don't advance the plot nor help out in some way. The game also informs me that a lot of the results are from choices in the first game, yet I don't know which ones because the result is actually vague and mostly descriptive text. Why is Berath the one leading the gods in this effort? It definitely should've been Woedica or Magran, depending on whether you empowered Woedica or not.

Sizzle

Arcane
There are a couple of cool moments with the gods (like the bits with Rymrgand and Wael), but their entire role in the story is even more pointless (and forced) than it was in PoE1.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Gods should have been just participating in an event taking sides instead of being both the main cause and goal. Your situation should have been about another thing in Deadfire, absolutely anything about Neketaka for example, which is one of the best cities in any game ever planted in an otherwise uninteresting plot. One of them reading Gilgamesh or Illiad would help a lot to achieve this.

I don't know how people can be writers without reading at least the western classics of literary genre.

Sizzle

Arcane
Not just that, but them being so completely ineffectual and passive also renders the entire "philosophical conflict" as to whether or not they're needed absolutely moot.

Sizzle

Arcane
To give a further example:

In the Overgrowth quest, you have a choice - either destroy the machine making some sea beasties and get a nice reward from the Rautaians (not to mention - one of the best helmets in the game), or permanently seal the entrance to the dungeon, thereby earning the favor of Galawain. And when I say favor, that's just it - no reward at all, he just appears to you in a vision and says he'd be mighty pleased with you if you didn't mess with his precious mutated creatures. Wow, a really nice and balanced choice there, Obsidian, way to go - I really do wonder what most people will choose here :D

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

In the Overgrowth quest, you have a choice - either destroy the machine making some sea beasties and get a nice reward from the Rautaians (not to mention - one of the best helmets in the game), or permanently seal the entrance to the dungeon, thereby earning the favor of Galawain. And when I say favor, that's just it - no reward at all, he just appears to you in a vision and says he'd be mighty pleased with you if you didn't mess with his precious mutated creatures. Wow, a really nice and balanced choice there, Obsidian, way to go - I really do wonder what most people will choose here :D

He helps you in a final quest I think.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Obviously the favour of a god,because they don't know about the reward :).

Lacrymas

Arcane
There's a bug in the bathhouse, orlans and dwarves can get into the pool without paying, the game doesn't force you out like with bigger races.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I always try to get into places where I'm not supposed to in games because I think there might be treasure. I also always lead groups as closely resembling a circus freak troupe as possible, soooo.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Obsidian are starting to redeem themselves in my eyes a little bit. The game is decidedly not terrible and gets many things right. My biggest gripe up to now is the writing, but that can be ignored. I thought the limited spell selection would make for very repetitive tactics, but that's surprisingly not the case , it actually forces me to choose the most appropriate spells for a given encounter and the various defenses. The problem here is the amount of spells that are actually useful in general, but that was a problem in 1 as well. PEN is still bad and pointless design. Empower only really gives you the opportunity to defeat encounters many levels above you. If they continue tweaking the combat and encounters, adding more of them with the DLCs and stuff it might prove to be a game worth replaying. I guess it's too bad we probably won't see another isometric game from them.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom