Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN 2 - the new NON-episodic Hitman game

Ivan

Arcane
From the Miami level walkthrough it was pretty disappointing to see bodies still don't leave trail when you drag them through a blood pool, or even without dragging them through a blood pool.

Do guards at least react to blood pools? This was a feature of the AI in Thief The Dark Project ffs.
:what:
it was? huh, I never used the sword...

Master

Arbiter
"It was an antifun mechanic."
:whatisfun:
What is fun is the ultimate question, but I certainly know what's not fun, and that's basing your game around disguises and then making them useless and having everyone detect you if you walk past them.
Come on, they're perfectly usable, you just have to well, use them, unlike the dress and forget approach of later games...

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
From the Miami level walkthrough it was pretty disappointing to see bodies still don't leave trail when you drag them through a blood pool, or even without dragging them through a blood pool.

Do guards at least react to blood pools? This was a feature of the AI in Thief The Dark Project ffs.
Broadhead Arrows cause blood pools too. You can freely kill spiders, burricks, etc.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
On the topic of Thief: I really wish there were more good FMs that were about assassinating a target. There was a series of missions in The Dark Mod that was all about assassinating targets and it was super good, but I forgot what it was called now. Might have been Thomas Porter.
Well you're supposed to avoid or work around those kind of situations, and keep your distance. Makes sense.
Yeah, nah, not really. That's just a inane limiting factor that makes missions less fun to play, I don't really see the point of disguises if their only use is to be at a distance and maybe sneak in a weapon.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I also never found disguises in Silent Assassin to be a problem. The guards recognizing you if you stick around for too long was realistic.

Always reminds me of the scene in Heat with Robert de Niro disguised as a hotel guard sneaking past the reception.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I also never found disguises in Silent Assassin to be a problem. The guards recognizing you if you stick around for too long was realistic.
Yes, that's my fuckin point. I like that feature, I just don't like the implementation. In Contracts you could do this exact same thing but your chances of randomly getting detected in an enclosed space is lower, but if you brush against them or stay near them for too long they will still detect you.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I completed Contracts all SA on expert difficulty. Not professional because I generally do medium first and hardest second. I even got the minigun. It was pretty fun but AI was pretty trash and the game crashed a few times. Buggy too.

Astral Rag

Arcane
6 levels total again. Lol. What the fuck happened? I'm pretty sure Blood Money had more than 10.
Mission 1 - Death Of A Showman
Mission 2 - A Vintage Year
Mission 3 - Curtains Down
Mission 4 - Flatline
Mission 5 - A New Life
Mission 6 - The Murder Of Crows
Mission 7 - You Better Watch Out ...
Mission 8 - Death On The Mississippi
Mission 9 - Til Death Us Do Part
Mission 10 - A House Of Cards
Mission 11 - A Dance With The Devil
Mission 12 - Amendment XXV
Mission 13 - Requiem

:despair:

Wunderbar

Arcane

you can also wash away blood pools with water arrow.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
To be fair, I'm not sure they could make 10+ big levels with the graphical fidelity required (to get a budget to begin with, I think) to be a modern AA-ish game.

mck

Cipher
Ok but i feel thats how it should be in these games, simple, slow and trance like. I mean thats how the games are arent they? They shouldnt go all out, at least not all the time. It might sound good but it wouldnt fit. Whats the point though? Game(new one) sucks, and not even Jesper doing music wouldve helped there...

Damn I was completely with you about the music, but how can you be a Hitman fan and think the new one sucks?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.pcgamesn.com/hitman-2/ai-detect-mirrors

Hitman 2's AI can spot your reflection in mirrors

Hitman 2 developer Io Interactive is working on much more than new levels for Agent 47’s next outing. It might not sound like a big deal, but Hitman 2’s mirrors actually work, which means you’re going to have to be a lot more careful about what you consider cover when stalking your prey in sunny Miami.

This is part of a number of substantial changes being made to AI for Hitman 2 that mean you will have a few new tricks for avoiding detection as well as new ways to be found out by curious NPCs when the assassination sandbox arrives later this year.

For starters, NPCs now recognise Agent 47’s face rather than his full body outline, which means you can shrug off a certain level of suspicion by simply turning your face away from onlookers, which was something our Ben Maxwell particularly enjoyed while playing Hitman 2 at E3. We spoke with executive producer Markus Friedl after the session to learn more about the changes to AI.

“We have revisited all of our AI systems quite drastically so all of the underlying systems that form our very, very complex AI have been revised. To give you one example: mirrors. Now NPCs can actually spot you through a mirror. It’s these small things that make a huge difference and make the whole thing organic.”

So does that mean no more hiding stacks of bodies in bathrooms and using the mirror to spot any new targets that walk past? Perhaps this will even mean that enemies can track see Agent 47’s shadow. Either way, deeper and more realistic AI is always a boon for stealth games like Hitman 2, and will hopefully empower us to get even more creative with our kills than we did in the first game. You can watch the rest of our interview with Friedl above.

Master

Arbiter
Ok but i feel thats how it should be in these games, simple, slow and trance like. I mean thats how the games are arent they? They shouldnt go all out, at least not all the time. It might sound good but it wouldnt fit. Whats the point though? Game(new one) sucks, and not even Jesper doing music wouldve helped there...

Damn I was completely with you about the music, but how can you be a Hitman fan and think the new one sucks?
Because it... does? To give just one of many, many examples: 47 crouch sneaks as fast as he walks. Sorry but no: if you want to be silent, you have to be slow. Have these devs played JA2 or for that matter Silent Assassin, or to an extent Contracts? It's such a basic thing and a core game mechanic to boot, and they fucked it up. Well fuck them then. I'll just play C47, SA and Contracts again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom