Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh: Feudal Era Dark Souls

Taurist

Scholar
Just (finally) beat this. It was way to fucking long. I loved my first ten hours, then got bored with the next ten.
I took a break just after Yuki-Onna for about six months before starting again, and I think that was a good choice. For some insane reason most of the skills (magic, ninja and samurai) are locked behend progression gates, so you are like 20h in before you can do anything but Souls-style tactics. This lead to my own massive burnout.
A respec and a break really relit my fun with it. Actually using the skills and magic made the encounters with the limited enemy types more exciting.

It should have been about 30h long with the bonus content at the end imo. Most levels did just one interesting thing, and not much more.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Good job.
Now do the DLC missions... and you'll be basically set to walk the Way of the Demon where star item attributes start to appear and strong enemies get special abilities/properties (nothing like being 1-hit paralyzed and then axed by a skeletal warrior).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, there are covers and you're forced to follow a rhytm. I found it okay... for 1 playtrough!

Hyperion

Arcane
Get 100% reduced projectile damage on your gear and just run around the battle dragging your gigantic ballsack on the ground while they try, and fail, to turn you into a pincushion because 80% of the game's attacks literally cannot kill you.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Damn I love this game. After a long break I have gotten back into playing Dark Souls series, and playing Nioh after that is such a breath of fresh air (especially after the disappointment of Dark Souls 3). People criticize the level design in Nioh, but I think it's a nice change of pace from Souls level design, with some fun gimmicks (I really liked that gas filled cave).

Taurist

Scholar
The level design isnt bad as such. Its just limited by the extreme length of the game and limited enemy types.
Most levels have at least one good gimmick

Suicidal

Arcane
One thing I don't like about the levels in Nioh that I hope they will change in the sequel is that they're almost always dark. It's either some cave or tomb lit by torches or nighttime outdoors lit by torches. That, combined with the predominantly yellow/orange particle effects makes a lot of the locations look the same even when they don't.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Men, finally getting the hang of this ki pulse thing. Oddly enough, I seem to be doing better damage in the mariner set than in proper armour.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
That is interesting. I'm tempted to email the Bunnyhop guy about this, maybe he could get some devs to explain why their games are 4 times bigger than they ought to be.

Wunderbar

Arcane
That is interesting. I'm tempted to email the Bunnyhop guy about this, maybe he could get some devs to explain why their games are 4 times bigger than they ought to be.
easily compressed data?
maybe they are storing their textures in BMP or something.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
no, it can't be done on win7, only on win8/win10.

CrunchyHemorrhoids

can't thank you enough for this m8. I went and upgraded today to windows 10 SPECIFICALLY to compress some game folders as per your pro-tip, and man i could not be happier! not only was i able to save tons of GB's of disk space by compressing my Steam folder, and my torrented Final Fantasy 15 folder, but besides all that:

WOW WINDOWS 10 IS FUCKING GOOD. Soooo many little quality-of-life improvements!

- win10 is using a lot less RAM than my previous win7 install.
- win10 versions of my commonly-used apps run better and use less RAM, specifically CHROME. Chrome runs 2x faster and uses 50% less RAM on this win10 install than it did on my previous win7 install.
- overall install footprint of win10 is about 40% smaller than my previous win7 install.
- A few games actually use LESS RAM. Frame-rates are the same, but Witcher 3 for example uses almost an entire GIGABYTE OF RAM LESS.

Anyway, I recommend clean-installing win10 right now to everybody who isn't using it.

EDIT: I haven't yet actually benchmarked any of the compressed games so I can't say yet whether loading times improved, even though the reddit thread is full of peeps saying that it does decrease loading times.

Been busy compressing.

Perkel

Arcane

"Ought to be" is not legitimate here.

Win10 has build in very efficient compression method that is fairly "free" on most of modern CPUs. Meaning that reading compressed file is almost as fast as normally and in some cases where stuff needs to be first loaded it is actually FASTER that original files.

Downside to this is that you need to compress first which takes time. 4k option imho is best as 8k or 16k provide barely any improvement. And compressing stuff on non good CPU will take A LOT of time.
It doesn't work for everything but for about 80% of things i tried.

From what i know it is not turned on by default because it requires fairly modern CPU instruction sets to be "free". If you use it with older cpus then you will take performance hit. My i5-3570k still got on that train and it is awesome. When i compressed my games folder it went from 800GB to 580GB.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Strated playing few days ago. Got to ng++ with axe, but don't really like it - too slow and i die too much. Red monsters rape me everytime, especially tengu.
Farmed enough glory to unlock Fuku so maybe instead of baka gaijin i'll start new character with faster weapon and with magic.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Farmed enough glory to unlock Fuku so maybe instead of baka gaijin i'll start new character with faster weapon and with magic.

Ninjitsu (+ a small amount of magic to act as support) is the win button in this game, although not in a cheesy way as you will be relatively fragile, yet can do massive damage in short amounts of time. Ninjitsu is limited in total uses per life, yet it doesn't require stamina so you can spam it and kill bosses in 5-10 seconds if you get all the right weapon and armor buffs. However, because powers are limited you have to focus on farming +ninjitsu ammo items that give you a random chance of recharging them. Some of the ganksquad style boss fights with scores of enemies become more about managing ninjitsu resources, yet it's not really an issue if you horde the ninjitsu respawn power-ups for only the most difficult fights.

Paired with the kusarigama it gives you great speed, range, and flexibility. Plus, I think kusarigama is the most fun weapon to play, so it's a win/win.

Jinn

Arcane
I can't wait to hear more news about Nioh 2. I finally finished this about a month ago and I've got nothing but love for it. Great game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom