Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Beyond Good & Evil 2

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
In Ancel I trust

Not a very inspired statement considering that Ancel is/was missing.

sparq_beam

I found this game to be disgusting from the first time I saw the new direction they took. It simply feels off somehow.

It seems to me they either don't know what they want to do with it or are mishandling it terribly and it looks like some grotesque mockery of BG&E.

I don't like how it looks either, it's too edgy. The first game was wholesome.

Dexter

Arcane
It doesn't actually look like they actually have a game, it looks like they have a concept and a tech demo and are trying to go from there (pretty much where they were with BG&E2 in 2009), they don't even seem to have decided on how the game will exactly play, protagonist (good thing, because if they went with what they presented they would've cried about Sales again) or what it'll exactly be about. As someone said before, it sounds more like Molyneux-ish tales of ambition so far...
Reminder that they're still not really any further than they were last year. Still just showing "Tech Alphas" and "Cinematic Trailers" and asking people to complete the game for them now...

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Cinematic quality could make Blizzard envious, impressive graphics. Reserved about the story, hopefully it's not trash.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I just know this is going to turn into space opera Far Cry 3 in terms of gameplay, go liberate outposts... Or samey open world activities that I hate with a passion.

What's with the bitching about this game being open world? First game was open world and had you working toward building a spaceship. Whole time you're trying to fix that spaceship, thinking you're working towards opening the game up more and getting a new thing to play around with...instead you build the spaceship, take off to the last level, and almost never get to use the thing you've been working towards the whole game before it's over. It was one of the more bullshit things about the original game. This sequel seems to be doing the kind of thing a sequel should do, building on the ideas of the original game. Now you actually get to use that thing you barely got to use in the original game.

I found this game to be disgusting from the first time I saw the new direction they took. It simply feels off somehow.

It seems to me they either don't know what they want to do with it or are mishandling it terribly and it looks like some grotesque mockery of BG&E.

First game was very French, this seems really French too. The first game was like some weird super French take on American kids cartoon that if it were a cartoon would probably raise the eyebrows of some parents with its Frenchiness bleeding through. This one seems like they just dropped the idea of it being for kids; maybe because it's been 15 years since the original and none of the original audience are kids anymore, or maybe because they read Blacksad or something. Could also be because the ever increasing average age of gamers, and because the original game targeting kids bombed.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

First game was very French, this seems really French too.
French changed during the times. Remember, they were badass revolutionists, they conquered Europe with Napoleon. Then they become little bitches from WW2. :smug:

This one seems like they just dropped the idea of it being for kids;
To be honest the new one also looks like its for kids, just without the charm of the first one.

After watching the trailer I'm a bit confused. Isn't this supposed to be a prequel? Then what does Pay'j and Evil Jade is doing there?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
After watching the trailer I'm a bit confused. Isn't this supposed to be a prequel? Then what does Pay'j and Evil Jade is doing there?
And why is Jade flanked (supported?) by the alpha section?

Iirc the first game heavily implied that Jade was raised by Pey'j and never knew her parents (and in fact, her parents turn out to be an evil space alien)

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I liked the trailer. Evil Jade rocks. Not going to play the game though. I can't into consoles. Was barely able to finish the first game, though I enjoyed it.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-06-18-beyond-good-and-evil-2-beta-end-of-next-year

Beyond Good & Evil 2 beta "end of next year"

Tom Phillips

A beta version of Beyond Good & Evil 2 is due for release towards the end of 2019, creator Michel Ancel has said.

Ubisoft Montpellier's ambitious, currently-half-built open world multiplayer space opera thing got another showing at E3 this year - where we were treated to around 30 minutes of gameplay behind closed doors.

We'll have more on what we saw shortly, but as impressive as BG&E2's tech currently is - and as lovely as that CGI trailer reintroducing BG&E1's Pey'J and Jade was - it was clear the game still had a long way to go.

Still, that hasn't stopped Ancel telling fans: "We aim for a playable beta for the end of next year," via a post on his Instagram (which you should really subscribe to for lots of lovely BG&E2 concept art).

Well that pretty much locks the release date down to 2020.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/beyond-good-and-evil-2s-demo-feels-so-early-its-hard-to-get-excited-about/

Beyond Good and Evil 2's demo feels so early it's hard to get excited about
Can Ubisoft realise this sprawling, ambitious vision?

Zt5bWn7r4fYrM3dzMYgDR4-320-80.jpg

The combination of a CGI trailer and Joseph Gordon-Levitt disarmingly boyish face at Ubisoft's E3 press conference made Beyond Good and Evil 2 feel almost impossible in scope. A grand, shared world space opera that serves both as a prequel to the story of the first BG&E starring memorable, colourful characters, and a massive solar system full of seamless multiplayer hijinks—can such a game even exist? Having seen a 30 minute hands-off developer playthrough during a behind-closed-doors E3 presentation, I don't think it does. At least not yet.

To be clear, I'm not saying BG&E2 won't become what Ubisoft says it will, just that the road from what I saw to what they claim seems long.

The demo begins in a forgotten temple in Ganesha, a city in the New Indian continent of the moon Soma. This is where the settlers of System 3 colonised first, creating a society where humans send animalistic 'hybrids' to the dark side of the moon to mine valuable resources. In Beyond Good and Evil 2's world, the people are infertile, and can only populate the world by cloning the DNA of the first settlers. Everyone is a clone, basically, which means the character you generate will be picked from a DNA profile—with individuality expressed instead through clothing customisation and fighting style. Your DNA decides your role in life, and hybrids are at the bottom of society. You play a space pirate captain, living outside of that status quo.

It's a co-op demo. In the temple, two such captains are tracking down a group of scientists who are experimenting on hybrids. The devs wander around the location, at one point splitting up to arrive at the room containing the scientists from different locations. The devs reiterate that players will be able to go off and do their own thing separately.

The players reveal themselves and are attacked by guards. Combat centres around four abilities: gun attacks, sword attacks, a shield and a jetpack. But each of these things can be augmented by tech that you'll find throughout the game. Equip a gun with a slowdown, and you reduce the movement speed of players that you shoot. Equip a sword with knockback, and, well you can probably guess.

It's easy to understand the potential tactical implications of this combat system, but I don't really get a sense of it in the demo. I can imagine players working together, equipping aug tech designed to fill a specific role. You can even scan enemies to see what augs they have equipped, which lets you tailor your build to the upcoming fight. But none of this really plays out on screen—again, it's early.

After the fight, we discover a hybrid has survived the experiment. The scanner tells us he's a mechanic, and, Ubisoft says, should we still need a mechanic, we'd be able to hire him for our crew.

With the scientists thoroughly defeated, the devs head out of the temple and into the city of Ganesha proper. We only see a small slice of the city, and while the scale seems impressive, the visual detail leaves something to be desired. Still we get another hint of the freedom Ubisoft hopes to offer in the ginal game. One dev hops in a spaceship to go and dogfight with police, while another grabs a hoverbike to give us a quick tour. Using the scanner we can check distant landmarks, and are given suggestions as to what might (eventually) happen in them. A police station, for instance, could be holding a fellow pirate for you to free. A bank can be robbed of its cash. A shop can be visited for new clothes and equipment.

One dev hops in a spaceship to go and dogfight with police, while another grabs a hoverbike to give us a quick tour.

The demo ends with the dev jumping in a ship, hitting hyperspace and seamlessly flying their pirate out of the planet's atmosphere and towards their mothership. Mostly seamlessly, at least—the jump into hyperspace does lower the texture quality and detail of the city quite noticeably. That might seem like a pedantic point, but the guy sat next to me literally gasped during this sequence, and, while it's still an impressive sight, it's not magic. This is about managing expectations, after all.

Ubisoft's final trick is to open the map screen—zooming out more to show the scale of System 3 and the many stars and planets within it. It's an impressive idea for a showcase, starting small, in a single temple, and expanding further outwards, to the city, to the planet, to the galaxy beyond. But I see little of what that grand scale means, and what detail I am shown still feels like it needs lots of time. And that's all fine—Beyond Good and Evil 2 is a long way off. It could definitely become something amazing. But it's not there yet.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
This is where the settlers of System 3 colonised first, creating a society where humans send animalistic 'hybrids' to the dark side of the moon to mine valuable resources. In Beyond Good and Evil 2's world, the people are infertile, and can only populate the world by cloning the DNA of the first settlers. Everyone is a clone, basically, which means the character you generate will be picked from a DNA profile—with individuality expressed instead through clothing customisation and fighting style. Your DNA decides your role in life, and hybrids are at the bottom of society.

Buahahahaha what a pile of retarded shit this is! Ohhh those communist writers are soo bad.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...nknown-and-the-ugly-of-beyond-good-and-evil-2

The good, the unknown and the ugly of Beyond Good & Evil 2
Turn the Pey'j.

Last week, Beyond Good & Evil 2 creator Michel Ancel told fans to expect a playable beta of the game towards the end of 2019. It was disappointing news, perhaps, for those eager to explore the kind of worlds glimpsed in last year's flashy E3 debut trailer. But it was also news which should come as absolutely no surprise to anyone following the game's still-early progress.

What sort of game will Beyond Good & Evil 2 be? It's still hard to say - a year on from the tech demo shown behind closed doors at E3 2017. Over the 12 months, Ubisoft Montpellier has periodically streamed updates to its loyal followers on Twitch, but these have mostly just been opportunities to share concept art and answer questions. For this year's E3, Ubisoft Montpellier packed a proper gameplay demo in its suitcase, one which showed off co-op play and some early combat and exploration systems - but it was another glimpse which left us with probably more questions than answers.

I'm excited for Beyond Good & Evil 2's story after hearing how the dots connect between the two flashy CGI trailers shown thus far. Likewise, I'm delighted by this year's confirmation BG&E1 stars Jade and Pey'J are back for definite. For those in need of a recap, last year's trailer saw our crew of heroes steal a set of coordinates and set off for something named Moksha's Gate, a mysterious object described by Ubisoft Montpellier as "a door in space", led by a captain who shared a familial resemblance to Jade. This year, we caught up with the crew later on, with the captain mysteriously missing, as Jade herself pops up as an antagonist and seemingly ends the mission to Moksha's Gate for good.

In a presentation to Eurogamer and other assembled press given behind closed doors, Ubisoft Montpellier described Jade's surprising new appearance as that of a pirate hunter. The studio also confirmed that all of the above acts as setup to the actual game, which takes place "years later", and where you play as your own space captain. Your story is about getting that old crew of heroes back together to find out what's going on, what actually lies behind Moksha's Gate, and - presumably - ensure Jade returns to the good side.

It's clear a lot of thought has gone into the game's worldbuilding. Our presentation began with yet more backstory, and what works as a clever in-universe explanation for BG&E2's character creator. You can play as any combination of any in-game animal race, as the humans in the game's world - left sterile after years of space travel from Earth - have begun making such hybrids themselves. (And I love and very much plan to embrace the fact I can play the game as a half-monkey, half-pig.)

There's a darker side here, too. Many of these clones were created for a specific purpose - to be workers: mechanics, miners. Soma, the planet which houses the game's demo area of Ganesha City, is permanently geolocked to its star. Its rich inhabitants live on the permanently sunny side while the slave class of clones toil away on the dangerous and dark always-night side, bombarded by valuable meteorites from space. I was pleased to hear that Ubisoft Montpellier is planning to explore this theme - that being created from clone DNA yourself you come from a class of people treated differently, seeking equality and freedom from a ruling class which uses the myths and legends surrounding the game's religion to keep slaves obedient.

Our demo begins in a dungeon-like area underneath that hulking statue of Ganesha seen last year, as two players investigate a group of evil scientists carving up hybrid slave corpses for experimentation. Grisly piles of body parts lie around the fairly functional-looking environments as we swoop in and kill off the scientists. "Clones are treated as subclass citizens," senior producer Guillaume Brunier says. "Once finished they are put out to trash. If you didn't escape your fate and become a space pirate, you could have ended up in those crates." After a fairly one-sided firefight, a surviving monkey clone who didn't get dissected can be recruited to our crew - a mechanic key to the game's progression system, but one which is being kept under wraps until later.

Combat in the original BG&E was focused on melee attacks, which return here via a pirate sword. A placeholder HUD marks out your character's health, armour and remaining bullets. Combat looks functional, with augments for weapons to give them extra powers like the ability to slow enemies or add a knock-back effect to your attacks. You can wield a gun, sword or energy shield. Augments can be applied to any of your equipped items, including your jetpack - it'll be interesting to see how that works. I liked the spyglass item shown, an upgraded version of the camera from BG&E1, which can now tell you an NPC's faction, enemy type, and whether they have augmented weapons themselves. These modifiers - the same ones you can have too - will vary combat even when fighting the same enemy types, Ubisoft said.

After the dazzling visuals and story-based moments of the CGI trailers, it's a much smaller scale, far more basic-looking slice of gameplay to show off. But the scale is raised as we escape the dungeon, head out into the overworld and climb aboard a hoverbike. Ganesha City is there, built, to be flown around and explored. But like the single city in BG&E1, it is currently little more than a backdrop. It remains to be seen how much - if anything - there will be to get out and do on foot. The scale is raised again as we dodge police, a heavily stripped back version of the kind of action shown in the E3 2017 trailer, and jump in our own spaceship, zooming off into the atmosphere and out into planetary orbit. The surface to space gameplay shown last year still looks great, and one nice touch is how the game scales - so you can use your spyglass while in orbit to examine planets and planetary features instead of just the enemies and objects on the ground.

"When you're exploring a temple you have a feeling of adventure. When you're exploring at this level, you have this same level of adventure," Brunier said, pointing to a huge bit of artwork burned into the side of a nearby planet, which is viewable from space. It's a cool thing to spot, but it opens up more questions. With the whole of a planet able to zoom around, what else is there to do away from the couple of landing zones we saw? Is the whole planet there to explore, and what else is there to do? Or if not, as seems likely, what is the point of space-based gameplay, other than a feeling you're zooming around the galaxy instead of quickly hopping between isolated hubs?

The key ingredient, I feel, is that story. It'll be the missions and character moments laid over this galaxy in some way, and the sense of progression and adventure which comes from exploring those. Just a few more drops of that could lift the slightly barren-feeling demo we saw - and I'm sure will do as the game continues along its road to release. Whenever we properly get to see it next - hopefully sooner than another E3, again - I'm hopeful we'll get more answers than questions.

Vainamoinen

Novice
Still very fuzzy on the details, but what Ancel tries to pull off seems to be narratively as well as emotionally complex. I'm intrigued and may actually play an Ubisoft game again, the first since 2008.

How did she go from whatever she is in this game to running an orphanage 5 years later ffs

The timeline from the first part is bust already, sadly, but here it's still consistent. Jade's been growing up on Hyllis for 20 years, not knowing that she has once been a very mighty asset of the DomZ forces. In General Kehck's final words, he implies that she has an exceptionally long life (he literally says she's been hunted for hundreds of years, but that's where the timeline just explodes).

So, "Evil Jade" or rather Shauni is there, decades earlier, for a reason. But old Pey'J – infected arm in wraps, recognizing Jade as the person he raised, scar over his eye – his presence spells time travel shenannigans if I'm not mistaken.

In any case, when Ancel & team talk about Jade's "parents" or her "birth", I strongly assume there's metaphor involved.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom