Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview First Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay details revealed

Farewell into the night

Holy Molly, this is a FPS-rpg game?! No thanks. Bye and we're no friends anymore CD-Project.
Yeah, FPS RPGs like Deus Ex and Bloodlines are crap.

No, they're ok. In my opinion Cyberpunk should be a FPS/TPP hybrid just like Bloodlines, Jedi Academy, but when I hear it's FPS with a TPP car view - that's RAGE.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm thinking that for some people, the Witcher 3's third person perspective may have been like the last thing left in that game that made it feel like a "real RPG" to them, because they could tell themselves it was just an evolution of the first game's isometric perspective. So once you take that away, they're like "Oh my god, this is an action-RPG! I'm not playing this!" (even though The Witcher was of course an action-RPG series all along)

Keppo

Arbiter
Welcome in the cyberpunk 2077 discord where if you talk and voice your concern they kick you :D
Is saurdaukar the new stanley woo?
LOL.jpg
Just like i said, Mass effect Andromeda is written all over Cyberpunk 2077. Hostile action against negative feedback= Check, Huge bugs on trailer= Check

This game will flop harder than flipflop. Unless they add Third person view or isometric view.

Sure... The trailer has 7 milion views and its the most popular trailer from E3, with more popularity and views than teaser from established and one of the most popular franchise in the world; Elder Scrolls 6. And we are talking about new IP here, I don't know if the game will be good or not but people who thinks it will flop are delusional. Also if people want TPP then spam CDPR email not chat where the only people there are fucking moderators who are not working on the game and has 0 capabilities of adding TPP. I would want to have more options to see my character, because the clothes/outfist they will probably nail like in Witcher 3, same with cybernetic.. So we definitely need more options to see our character imho. Maybe some photo-mode at least? Overally i don't think TPP would work in game like this, from what i read world is designed differently than Witcher 3 or GTA V or even Skyrim/Fallout 4. Witcher 3 has big spaces, ton of room for camera to breathe. From the previews we know that the streets of Night City are claustrophobic and tight with alot of NPC's + tons of in-door exploration/quests where in Witcher 3 or GTA V or most of other open world AAA ARPG's you mostly spend time outside in big spaces.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm thinking that for some people, the Witcher 3's third person perspective may have been like the last thing left in that game that made it feel like a "real RPG" to them, because they could tell themselves it was just an evolution of the first game's isometric perspective. So once you take that away, they're like "Oh my god, this is an action-RPG! I'm not playing this!" (even though The Witcher was of course an action-RPG series all along)

This is the dumbest possible explanation, so it must be true.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet but there will be quest arrows here. Also, supposedly vehicles behave strangely and driving a car felt very artificial (same for shooting guns, no difference in recoil for example). There's also a skill that shows trajectory of bullets and lets you kill enemies behind corners using ricochet.

Edit:
For those who need citation: https://youtu.be/hzrRkoAEmt4 (it's in Polish though)

Last edited:

Shilandra

Learned
You know, I slept on it. And thought really hard about it. And ive come to a conclusion.

TPP is unneasesary and would be ruinous to the games experience. It shouldn't be put in under any circumstances.

However, FPP is super faggy and I don't want to play cyberpunk skyrim.

The only solution to this problem is simple. Second person perspective. Instead of the camera being the players face or over the shoulder, the entire game will be played from the viewpoint of the NPCs. You will still control your character in all ways. The only difference is whether it's walking around, making choices or during cutscenes the camera will be from the viewpoint of the nearest NPC at all times.

In places where there aren't NPCs? Cameras or drones will suffice since those will naturally be everywhere. This has never, ever been done before and will push the role playing genre so far forward into the future and increase immersion levels so hard that by the time the player finishes their first play through it will really be 2077 and everything in real life will be plated in chrome.

You know what You have to do CDPR. Get to it.

Shilandra

Learned
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet but there will be quest arrows here. Also, supposedly vehicles behave strangely and driving a car felt very artificial (same for shooting guns, no difference in recoil for example). There's also a skill that shows trajectory of bullets and lets you kill enemies behind corners using ricochet.

Let me guess, quest arrows are an augment or can otherwise be turned off? To bad that doesn't mean anything since the journal will inevitably be shit simply because the quest markers exist.

I mean its not hard to note down people and location names. That's not even for people who are playing their current session. Its to remind them generally what's going on and where to go when they stop playing and come back later without undermining the big beautiful world you made with a pointy white tunnel vision generator.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Sure... The trailer has 7 milion views and its the most popular trailer from E3, with more popularity and views than teaser from established and one of the most popular franchise in the world; Elder Scrolls 6. And we are talking about new IP here, I don't know if the game will be good or not but people who thinks it will flop are delusional. Also if people want TPP then spam CDPR email not chat where the only people there are fucking moderators who are not working on the game and has 0 capabilities of adding TPP. I would want to have more options to see my character, because the clothes/outfist they will probably nail like in Witcher 3, same with cybernetic.. So we definitely need more options to see our character imho. Maybe some photo-mode at least? Overally i don't think TPP would work in game like this, from what i read world is designed differently than Witcher 3 or GTA V or even Skyrim/Fallout 4. Witcher 3 has big spaces, ton of room for camera to breathe. From the previews we know that the streets of Night City are claustrophobic and tight with alot of NPC's + tons of in-door exploration/quests where in Witcher 3 or GTA V or most of other open world AAA ARPG's you mostly spend time outside in big spaces.

Yeah this game is about sense of scale. The environment will be plastered with small incidental detail, posters, graffitis all that and they want you to see this world up close.
To view your character you have cutscenes, inventory and photo mode.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-gameplay-and-interviewed-cd-projekt-about-it

There will be no multiplayer (at least not on release). Incline.

So there's no multiplayer whatsoever?

Patrick Mills: We have multiplayer in R&D, but the game we're shipping to you, the game you're going to buy is the single-player experience. That's really what we're concentrating on now, the single-player RPG experience. That's what we want to nail down before we start looking at any of these other things.

So when you say you've got multiplayer in R&D, do you mean in relation to Cyberpunk 2077, or just generally at the studio?

Patrick Mills: In relation to Cyberpunk as well as just generally at the studio.

So maybe multiplayer will come post-launch?

Patrick Mills: Maybe, no promises. Nothing at launch. At launch we're concentrating on the single-player game. That's what we want to give you.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I get where people are coming from on the TPP thing. FPP and TPP have their own advantages and disadvantages, meaning that preferring one perspective is also about preferring a particular kind of gameplay. (Sidenote: I see comments equating over the shoulder TPP with TPP generally, but that's not correct. Over the shoulder is glorified FPP except with a meathead blocking half the screen instead of a weapon. If you can't see where your avatar is in relation to the environment, you do not have the primary advantages of TPP.)

FPP is better for free aim shooting, but the movement and positioning will never be as tight as in a TPP game. This is part of the reason why, as roguey notes, good melee requires TPP, but it also means that movement in general will have a totally different feel. FPS means more gameplay is focused on the 2D field of the screen where aiming/firing decisions are made, while TPP tends to focus on movement in the 3D environment. The tradeoff for FPP is fuzzier movement (why Mirror's Edge is lonely) while the tradeoff for TPP is that usually the focus on fluid movement and awareness of the immediate vicinity limits the shooting at longer ranges and generally requires lock-on or other aiming assistance.

TL;DR - the shooting will be better, but the mantis arm blades and wall-running/cyber-acrobatic stuff will be worse.

I would also note that FPP is only more immersive for some people. I don't find FPP particularly immersive b/c of the narrow viewpoint and the resulting fuzzy sense of spatial orientation/situational awareness, which makes me feel like I'm piloting a person. I think it's an uncanny valley type of effect, in that it's close enough to "real life" that the inability to instinctively know where I am in relation to my surroundings is immersion shattering. It's fun, just not immersive.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The increased grip strength upped the damage of her guns

I almost went WTF on this but then again, maybe it can be explained as an abstraction for aiming accuracy? As in tighter grip = more accurate shots = more damage to vitals? I guess it will depend on whether there will be HP-bloat and grind.
That's just yet another case of a gaming journo not knowing the subject material. The "subdermal grip" in Cyberpunk has nothing to do with grip strength, it's a cybernetic interface to the gun implanted in the palm. The extra damage should represent the improved accuracy you get with more control of the gun, and it also explains why you get an ammo counter on the HUD, the gun can now tell you how many rounds are left in the magazine.

I'm really happy that this is going to be first person, gun combat is just so much more fun in an FPS. I was expecting CDPR to go for the safe option and stick to 3rd person like in the Witcher, so this is great news!
:martini::takemymoney::terminate:

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Id' rather not degrade cyberpunk in a simple fps with implants but i don't believe that's the case.

Aim1ess

Novice
First person is the most immersive option, I'm surprised to see so many prefer third so they can look at their character's tattoos more often on the codex.

That being said the ability to switch or have a vanity cam where you hook up optics to a drone or something would be nice. I liked the way the laughing man would hack people's eye implants to cover his face in Ghost in the Shell so the only character that could see him was the one with no optic implants. Would also give a nic boost if optic or neural implants were the only way to see around corners etc while some chars would be stuck in first person.

Damn I'm kinda talking myself into wanting third person included as a skill haha.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Played Witcher with camera and control settings that made it almost isometric game - perfect.
Adore FPP in Thief with its fencing...
So dunno.
Actually I don't give a fuck about the game, because it will be released when? not even 2020 I think - to me it feels like 2077 either.
Also, didn't read article - our character is a woman?
Or is it one of NPC?

That is highly subjective i get most immersed from context story and ambience not from the visual.

Agree but only for isometric and such. If game is full 3D then it's important too.

Last edited:

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Since it's a post-2015 RPG, will it have gay romance? Sex change or gender upgrades?
Will it be possible to date a computer?
Will it have strong and socially relevant african-american, middle-eastern or female NPCs?

death-of-a-cyborg.jpg

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
I'm guessing FPS melee combat will work a little better than in most games if you have implants that let you see behind you (so you don't get sucker punched or whatever). I'm guessing there won't be that many melee enemies in an encounter, otherwise it'll be a clusterfuck.

Naraya

Arcane
The only solution to this problem is simple. Second person perspective. Instead of the camera being the players face or over the shoulder, the entire game will be played from the viewpoint of the NPCs. You will still control your character in all ways. The only difference is whether it's walking around, making choices or during cutscenes the camera will be from the viewpoint of the nearest NPC at all times.

I know you are joking but there were games that did this, eg. Alone in the Dark. It was... painful.

Also - reading this made me really hyped (don't click if RPS triggers you).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom