Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, I wouldn't say it's a seen-it-before thing in terms of combat, it feels very different than the IE games. It's a bit of a mess now, but it looks like a Sawyerist creation and I'm enjoying it so far. The one thing I don't like is still the rotation of abilities every fight, some of them last too short a time and it's annoying having to constantly refresh them. There's also the fact the limited spell selection encourages samey tactics every fight, but I haven't experienced that yet, I'm sure I will when I get more levels under my belt and everything becomes "Select All -> Right click". Penetration for casters is still shit, I don't think about it at all with my melee, so it's just like I said it's going to be, pointless when you have enough Penetration, insurmountable when you don't.

I.e. you agree with boring, bland storyline?

SymbolicFrank

Magister
More than ten years ago, I have been playing WoW for a few weeks or so. At some point, I noticed that the game play consisted of looking at my hotbar and pressing any button when it popped up. That was it. I didn't really look at the scenery or fight as such, because pressing that button when the cooldown ran out was the only thing I could do. And many games have copied that mechanism.

Like in PoE 1 and 2, from the moment the combat starts, you cannot change the position of your frontline anymore, and it is often impossible to understand what is happening on the screen. You just watch the hotbar and portraits to see when you have to press the next button in the sequence.

I tried playing games like that a few times, but they bore me fast.

The good thing about PeO 2 seems to be, that there are fun things to do outside the very boring combat. Unfortunately they are hampered by the reading involved.

But it looks nice.

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Flatter than it should be :p

we have very different ideas about the role of the feudal aristocracy... a pirate is just a robber baron who can swim.

I can't find any information about feudal robber barons anywhere. Only Wikipedia has an article, but it's without citations. Everything else is about the industrialists.

Look up feudal anarchy

Tigranes

Arcane
So, I experimented a bit with POTD upscale 1.1 full patch version, and I think the early game difficulty is actually in a really good place - it's just the second half of the game that still becomes bit too easy, an endemic problem in open-ended CRPGs (and CRPGs in general). Especially with the difficulty mod on Nexus, and rumours that a later patch will add custom challenge settings, I think difficulty is now in a good enough place for players to enjoy the game as a mega-SOZ combat robot building exploring system.

Running a custom duo of Paladin/Cipher and Paladin/Ranger with a fair degree of minmaxing now, and the uptuned encounters on the first island can still be brutal if you aren't pulling enemies one by one and cheesing. I expect things will stay enjoyably brutal for a while, before inevitably declining.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah, Imagine the mobs just stop keeping up with the power creep after about 10 levels. It was clearly visible already on 1.0 - early levels were too easy, but you couldn't just play it completely carelessly and faceroll. After tier 3-4 talents it just became a visual novel.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I am still modding and creating some new itens, but I found a major problem:

Every new item is attached to a vendor, but there are not enough vendors in the game, so the mods will start to override each other. I dont know how they will solve this, with the current file structure. There are a couple of mods spreading items to different vendors and they are already overriding

Tigranes

Arcane

Every new item is attached to a vendor, but there are not enough vendors in the game, so the mods will start to override each other. I dont know how they will solve this, with the current file structure. There are a couple of mods spreading items to different vendors and they are already overriding

Maybe use one of the shitty vendors that sell random pieces of food and clothing, and then delete their existing stock? Or even the random island villages selling rice wine?

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Maybe use one of the shitty vendors that sell random pieces of food and clothing, and then delete their existing stock? Or even the random island villages selling rice wine?

This is a good idea, the problem is: there are maybe... 50 vendors in the game? If we have 51 mods on nexus, or if some idiot make a mod spreading items on the vendors (1 item to each vendor, for example) they will override each other. The ideal solution is each modder just use one vendor to all items. Or create a new npc vendor, but I dont think this is possible.

Tigranes

Arcane
That seems to call for a mod merger program, like we have for Bethesda games etc, where people's changes to the same vendor can be combined - but I don't know how feasible that is for Deadfire.

Definitely sucks, since in any comprehensive 'new items' mod, you would have modders seed their items all over the place. I suppose just put them in chests in dungeons, not shops? There's already so much (too much?) good stuff available for purchase, anyway.

2house2fly

Magister
Yeah for a brief moment I wanted them to patch in some more non-sword uniques and soulbounds, but then I realised they'd just add them to vendors and I've already very much had my fill of buying a unique pistol in Neketaka for fifty thousand copper pieces

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I'd say it actually needs to be in vendors, since that's where the weapon selection is most unbalanced. It's all swords, swords, swords.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
That seems to call for a mod merger program, like we have for Bethesda games etc, where people's changes to the same vendor can be combined - but I don't know how feasible that is for Deadfire.

Definitely sucks, since in any comprehensive 'new items' mod, you would have modders seed their items all over the place. I suppose just put them in chests in dungeons, not shops? There's already so much (too much?) good stuff available for purchase, anyway.

I dont like to give them for free (in chest or crates, for example) because the game is already too easy and if you introduce more things, you give the player more money. But, maybe this could be an option to avoid conflicts, indeed.

I decided to make all my items really expensive. The weapons are good and help the builds. All my trinkets will have a passive penalty and a really good ability, so the player will have to think twice before use them. I dont like to give cheat and cheap items to players. There are lot of them on nexus already

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Got through Fort Deadlight, pretty incline, it seems there are a lot of ways to get through it. Mirke was more fun than I imagined her to be and her VA does add some character. So now that I'm done with the Old City and Fort Deadlight, I should expect steep decline and nothing even close to them?

Shadenuat

Arcane
"this rice farm seems prosperous enough to welcome trade"

suddenly you stumble into some modder's stash of +5 battle axes
A secret shop behind bunch of hard encounters on the edge of the map, a secret trader on a ship locked behind bunch of fire giant ships sailing inside storm clouds; game could use something like that

I think difficulty is now in a good enough place for players to enjoy the game as a mega-SOZ combat robot building exploring system
Game lacks good gauntlets and high level content to run your party through for that sadly.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I mean if ToEE eventually got Keep on the Borderlands and that one other TC, and a half-finished IWD one, without any mod support, there is hope for PoE2 yet. Just give it 15 years guys.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
So, I experimented a bit with POTD upscale 1.1 full patch version, and I think the early game difficulty is actually in a really good place - it's just the second half of the game that still becomes bit too easy, an endemic problem in open-ended CRPGs (and CRPGs in general). Especially with the difficulty mod on Nexus, and rumours that a later patch will add custom challenge settings, I think difficulty is now in a good enough place for players to enjoy the game as a mega-SOZ combat robot building exploring system.

Running a custom duo of Paladin/Cipher and Paladin/Ranger with a fair degree of minmaxing now, and the uptuned encounters on the first island can still be brutal if you aren't pulling enemies one by one and cheesing. I expect things will stay enjoyably brutal for a while, before inevitably declining.
Oh, interesting, Inquisitor and Shepherd, sorry maybe I asking too much, but can you share such builds?

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Just give it 15 years guys.
I foresee that 15 years later fantadomat will be oldest member and admin on RPG Codex, as only person who remember this game he would tell every new member about how writing in new games suck and in PoE 2 had best writing in game industry. He will even change avatar on Infinitron's and reward himself ratings same as Roguey have . If he will manage to survive in Easten Europe to this point ofc.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Just give it 15 years guys.
I foresee that 15 years later fantadomat will be oldest member and admin on RPG Codex, as only person who remember this game he would tell every new member about how writing in new games suck and in PoE 2 had best writing in game industry. He will even change avatar on Infinitron's and reward himself ratings same as Roguey have . If he will manage to survive in Easten Europe to this point ofc.
Can't imagine a world where PoE will be good example of writing.:negative: Cyberpunk 2033 Sofia is waiting for me. On the bright side,i will be the best admin that the codex have ever seen,i will just put tags on people and just let them do their shit. I do hope that a few more codexers survive till 2033,being on the top will be lonely otherwise.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Can't imagine a world where PoE will be good example of writing.
In world of the future where dominate mobile games of low quality and Rust clones from big studious any writing will be a pleasant surprise.

On the bright side,i will be the best admin that the codex have ever seen,i will just put tags on people and just let them do their shit.
In comparison to other forums Codex have very democratic admins and moderators, I have seen "encounters" on other forums where administration banned people on forum for shit happened in chat of skype. But maybe I don't know something and Codex had same or worse.

I do hope that a few more codexers survive till 2033,being on the top will be lonely otherwise.
*insert fabulous optimistic rainbow*

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
15 years is a long way away. No promises. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom