Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games codex hates but you like and vice versa.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah OP, not sure where you got the idea that the Codex hates Dark Souls, but that's flat-out not true.

It should though.

Well a lot of codexers do hate it because I see people hating on souls fans constantly. Maybe it is a loud minority.

There's probably a bunch of games that I like and Codex doesn't but the only true answer is Mustawd's one.

its obvious your trying to defend your ego from admitting your just not fit to complete those type of games

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to play Dark Souls. The mechanics are extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the techniques will go over a typical player's head. There's also Life of the Party outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterization - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Reddit literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these mechanics, to realize that they're not just fun- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Dark Souls truly ARE decline- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in no hit runs, which itself is a cryptic reference to the SJW philosophy. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those decline popamolers scratching their heads in confusion as Real Time Without Pause genius unfolds itself on their computer screens. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I DO have a Praise the Sun tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the twitch subscribers eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 1 souls memory of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
I like fighting games in general, which the Codex at large seems indifferent to (exception: aweigh). I'm terrible at playing them and typically don't, but outside pre-purchase gameplay research they're the only reason I occasionally watch twitch.

Not a single game, but I loathe when mid-sized fish like Larian/Obsidian/InXile do stone soup starters, something that Codex participates in. For smaller teams it's a great source of needed financing, but if they have dozens or even hundreds of employees in multiple studios strategically located around the world to maximize subsidies then fuck 'em.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
To be fair though, fighting games are niche in general. They're (usually) simply too difficult for non-veterans to get into, or are too dumbed down (to appeal to non-veterans) and end up appealing to no one or becoming a temporary sensations that casuals play for only a few months.

Fighting games (and maybe SHMUPs in 2nd place) require the highest amount of practice and dedication to get good at, while also requiring a healthy playerbase, which is hard to accomplish when people simply don't have the time or the energy to "git gud", go online get wrecked and drop the game after a few weeks.

EDIT: There's also a very high degree of "burnout" in competitive play for fighting games, much more so than in other competitive games. It's just hella grueling scene, with the skill ceiling way too high. (Which is a good thing!). It's not uncommon to see top players tweet they're "retiring" every so often, then come back after a period of rest.

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
is is disingenuous to a point where its obvious your trying to defend your ego from admitting your just not fit to complete those type of games.

Well a lot of codexers do hate it because I see people hating on souls fans constantly. Maybe it is a loud minority.

I can't imagine why people would dislike Souls fans. Can't think of one reason at all. I guess they must be retarded. :(

Doktor Best

Arcane
The only thing that dark souls lacks is lots of text.

The only thing that dark souls lacks is being a fucking RPG. You know, that kind of games where your stats define success of your actions, not dancing an elaborate jig with two controllers in every orifice.

A moronic statement repeated all too often. Equipment and stats matter a whole fucking lot in Dark Souls, its just not the sole determinator of outcome, as this would make a pretty bland rpg. You know if you dont know how to use your spells, skills etc in Wizardry, you will also get fucked despite being geared up to oblivion.

In Dark Souls you have health, mana, stamina, spells slots, physical defense, magic resistance, poise, stability, crit rate and defense, elemental resistances, attack speed, attack range, regeneration etc usw.

All of those stats are crucial.

Please atleast play the games or look into them a little bit before you shit on them.

Jokzore

Arbiter
To some people playing an RPG means number crunching until the victory screen pops up. If you can't beat the game with sheer math it's not a real RPG and stats don't matter.

DemonKing

Arcane
I liked the Tomb Raider reboot.

I also enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins and KOTOR 1.

Planescape Torment doesn’t do much for me.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The only thing that dark souls lacks is lots of text.

The only thing that dark souls lacks is being a fucking RPG. You know, that kind of games where your stats define success of your actions, not dancing an elaborate jig with two controllers in every orifice.

A moronic statement repeated all too often. Equipment and stats matter a whole fucking lot in Dark Souls, its just not the sole determinator of outcome, as this would make a pretty bland rpg. You know if you dont know how to use your spells, skills etc in Wizardry, you will also get fucked despite being geared up to oblivion.

In Dark Souls you have health, mana, stamina, spells slots, physical defense, magic resistance, poise, stability, crit rate and defense, elemental resistances, attack speed, attack range, regeneration etc usw.

All of those stats are crucial.

Please atleast play the games or look into them a little bit before you shit on them.

And all of that don't matter if your twitch skill are high or low. Combat resolution is entirely dependent on player input not stats. In a lot of shooters you have all the stats you mention, but that doesn't make them RPGs.

Last edited:

Erikolaz

Educated
Not sure how the Codex feels about World of Tanks, but I was heavily into that for a couple of years. Have often been tempted to return to it, but narrowly decided against it.

There was also a period where I enjoyed trolling GTA5 RP servers. To be fair, those were the degenerate kind of role-players.

Was also hooked on modded Skyrim for a while, mostly due to the Norse setting. I was the proud creator of a mod that turned Vignar Grey-Mane white. :obviously:

Last edited:

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I hate Skyrim. I can't understand how people here manage to pour hundreds of hours into it.

Same thing here. I tried this game so much. Every year I re-install it with a thousand different mod or just vanilla and I just can't like it.

For me, it's Bioware games. I haven't played DO2 or 3, neither ME Andromeda, but I like ME1, KOTOR and Baldur's Gate series.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I wouldn't be here if the general taste of the 'Dex and my own didn't align. If anything I see too many people defending crap like PoE and Tyranny but at least I can kind of understand where they are coming from.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Understandably so. It makes as much sense as cyber sex. Do sports in real life instead of playing the game.

B-but...I can’t dunk.

:(

It's not too great a logical leap to see that the kids who gravitated towards D&D were likely the kids who were avoiding the football team. I must admit, I knew people who liked both, but you know what kids are like, very needy in the gang department & all that.

The only sports title I've ever really played properly was the old Championship Manager series. I think sports managers like that probably have the highest cross-over. Maybe relaxing golf games or fishing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom