Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Microsoft E3 2018 Press Conference: Cyberpunk 2077 Re-Announced

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Mike Pondsmith's quotes do hint that he was involved into selecting what's shown in the trailer.

The trailer shows a lot and I guess we are getting only a fraction of what is in it. People will be surprised once CDPR does reveal the gameplay.

They talked about your career choices. That you can become a journalist or a rockstar. Maybe at 1:00 the trailer shows exactly that. Likewise the other scenes give you a glimpse of possible career choices. The guy who beats the cyborg, the hacker who fried a target, the trauma team.

Hope we get to see gameplay from the CDPR booth at E3.
Everyone is so hung up on the fucking day/night shit, when actually the scenarios which are shown are way more interesting. I specifically liked when that eastern dude's head just burst into flames, during being jacked in. Somebody fried his brain, can't wait to do that in game. Also liked the flying cars, which could be intersting if done right. Doing some Fith Element style police chase would be great.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
I mean I'm personally glad its a little more punk than noir because noir is just so hard to nail down and when its bad its terrible. Its generally just not appealing to me. Also you shouldn't be expecting a lot of visually dark games for most of the big releases for a bit. HDR is picking up steam and neon type colors look GORGEOUS with it on.
True that, but they could've always went with Satellite Reign aesthetics and get the best of both. With enough polish (no pun intended) they could make virtually any style look great.
Glad to know that cyberpunk is now all about darkness and rain.
It's not about cyberpunk the genre, because it was made in plethora of different styles from ascetic Tetsuo to bombastic Dredd, and stuff like bright days are just a tiny speck of those visions. It's abut about CP as Pondsmith's franchise, which has always been a darker vision than, say, Shadowrun, and as such the trailer simply seems to be going for the general audience with toned down grimness and colorful visuals. It's simply too generic, as if afraid to go all the way down to it's p&p roots. It's like comparing Paycheck to Blade Runner.
So you guys are calling Pondsmith a cuck now?
He stayed with CD RED for 5 years regardless of they are listening to him or not?
I have loads of respect for the man, because not only is he the creator of my favorite RPG franchise, but also has actual experience in game development and seems like a great guy in general. But the realities are such, that firstly his brainchild has been in hiatus for long years, constantly ignored, even despite his work for Microsoft, yet now gets to be a hit; and secondly, unless he goofed out and got paid in advance like Sapkowski for the Witcher (which I seriously doubt) he is financially involved in success of that game. That being said, he has quite a lot riding on the title both mentally and materially, and as such I consider his opinions on the matter somewhat biased at this moment, even more so, when they're contradictory to his own earlier work and words.

Last edited:

Ruzen

Savant
I have loads of respect for the man, because not only is he the creator of my favorite RPG franchise, but also has actual experience in game development and seems like a great guy in general. But the realities are such, that firstly his brainchild has been in hiatus for long years, constantly ignored, even despite his work for Microsoft; and secondly, unless he goofed out and got paid in advance like Sapkowski for the Witcher (which I seriously doubt) he is financially involved in success of that game. That being said, he has quite a lot riding on title both mentally and materially, and as such I consider his opinions on the matter somewhat biased at this moment, even more so, when they're contradictory to his own earlier work and words.

You say you have loads of respect for the man but keep ignoring the facts about his comments or actions and still trying to create these imaginative things you described. Sapkowski left working with the CdProcet during post-production! Sapkowski is just an author who dislikes games in general and he admitted multiple times he was in this because of the money. Meanwhile, Pondsmith keeps working with the firm after 5 years. Obviously, Pondsmith likes games and he thinks his vision must be in a PC game ( for the greater world to see his world) so, he is not just in for the money either. There is no indication what so ever to support this conspiracy crap yet some people always assume the last thing at first.

Van-d-all

Erudite
You say you have loads of respect for the man but keep ignoring the facts about his comments or actions and still trying to create these imaginative things you described. Sapkowski left working with the CdProcet during post-production! Sapkowski is just an author who dislikes games in general and he admitted multiple times he was in this because of the money. Meanwhile, Pondsmith keeps working with the firm after 5 years. Obviously, Pondsmith likes games and he thinks his vision must be in a PC game ( for the greater world to see his world) so, he is not just in for the money either. There is no indication what so ever to support this conspiracy crap yet some people always assume the last thing at first.
Quite honestly I'm wondering if you comprehend what I just wrote. It's obvious that author getting his lifework popularized will be interested in it's success, just as his original vision might change after 30 years, and he is rightfully entitled to both. Just as I am to my opinion of liking his initial works and vision way more. Seriously, it seems people here just can't get over the fact that it's possible to like something the way it was created and not the changes it takes over time, even if those changes originate from the author. It's like saying that everyone liking Empire Strikes Back has to like Phantom Menace...

Paul_cz

Arcane
To go back to Gibson's tweet - I disagree with him about the "generic" complaint - I would actually find it more generic if it only showed night time and rain and dark blade runner stuff we probably all expected. But he was right that it reminds of GTA - it has a similar style of debut GTA trailers that focus on the city, its inhabitants and vignettes from it rather than on player action or gameplay. But this ain't a bad thing for introductory trailer like this.

Ruzen

Savant
Quite honestly I'm wondering if you comprehend what I just wrote. It's obvious that author getting his lifework popularized will be interested in it's success, just as his original vision might change after 30 years, and he is rightfully entitled to both. Just as I am to my opinion of liking his initial works and vision way more. Seriously, it seems people here just can't get over the fact that it's possible to like something the way it was created and not the changes it takes over time, even if those changes originate from the author. It's like saying that everyone liking Empire Strikes Back has to like Phantom Menace...
Sir, are you pretending or you always a goof?
Sapkowski only cared about his own book sales. Not that I have a problem with the way he thinks, everyone can have their own agenda. He doesn't care how movies, tv-show, games or anything else is shitty; his only thing is "it will popularise my books". Meanwhile, Pondsmith waited long ass time to get here and he holds on to co-designer position for 5 years and he will be holding for at least 2 more years. Your comparison is shit but you can't just admit it!

Van-d-all

Erudite
To go back to Gibson's tweet - I disagree with him about the "generic" complaint - I would actually find it more generic if it only showed night time and rain and dark blade runner stuff we probably all expected.
Hah, it definitely would and that boils down to the whole issue here - It's not just about the day cycle. It's about the lack of originality placing the trailer among the ones periodically shown by EA or Activision.

Last edited:

Van-d-all

Erudite
Sir, are you pretending or you always a goof?
Sapkowski only cared about his own book sales. Not that I have a problem with the way he thinks, everyone can have their own agenda. He doesn't care how movies, tv-show, games or anything else is shitty; his only thing is "it will popularise my books".
Now I'm sure you don't get it. Especially as you keep pointing Sapkowski out, even though he was meant as a counterexample. So for the last time:
Meanwhile, Pondsmith waited long ass time to get here and he holds on to co-designer position for 5 years and he will be holding for at least 2 more years.
Exactly, all the reason for me not taking his current words as gospel. He cares, and that's for sure, whereas the gravity of his say in the game's development remains an assumption.

Last edited:

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Wait, after rewatching trailer I noticed that taxi cab had living driver and this is in age of robots and information. I mean even now we have prototypes of cars on remote control. Why the fuck in 2077 there are "Indian stereotype" driver is beyond of my understanding.

Machocruz

Arcane
Meh. I'll wait to start my hate campaign when I see how watered down the rules system is. The Witcher games were p. good but didn't wow me, and I thought TW3 was the least interesting of them (and of course the open-world smitten mainstream think it's the best one). One of the major drawbacks to the series is that Geralt, to me, is an utter bore and his particular set of skills and approach to combat didn't interest me either. CDPR has yet to convince me they are the great RPG dev so many think they are.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Wait, after rewatching trailer I noticed that taxi cab had living driver and this is in age of robots and information. I mean even now we have prototypes of cars on remote control. Why the fuck in 2077 there are "Indian stereotype" driver is beyond of my understanding.
Three guys in cyber-armour carrying a whole arsenal with them, and you wonder why they didn't take a drone cab that automatically logs and report passenger information and its location to its corporate headquarters? Obviously a human cab service running non-traceable cabs is in high demand for those who want to pay a little extra for privacy and the pleasure of hearing Apu chatter.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Three guys in cyber-armour carrying a whole arsenal with them, and you wonder why they didn't take a drone cab that automatically logs and report passenger information and its location to its corporate headquarters? Obviously a human cab service running non-traceable cabs is in high demand for those who want to pay a little extra for privacy and the pleasure of hearing Apu chatter.
You argument sound reasonable, but I think in such private cars driver shouldn't be able to see passengers for their own safety (and for passengers privacy, so police can't torture out of cab driver information). And I talked about remote car controlled from house of same indian guy,in another words same indian sitting on his ass at home and drive car. With encryption of traffic ofc.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Cyberpunk is 80s retro-futuristic. Deckers use wired connections. Cars have drivers but some of them fly. There are giant animated billboards but they’re in 320 x 240. That sort of thing.

(Also it’s super easy to find in-world explanations for only the rich having access to autonomous vehicles.)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I daresay the image of robots riding in a cab driven by a human is meant to be ironic.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Cyberpunk is 80s retro-futuristic. Deckers use wired connections. Cars have drivers but some of them fly. There are giant animated billboards but they’re in 320 x 240. That sort of thing.

(Also it’s super easy to find in-world explanations for only the rich having access to autonomous vehicles.)
I don't think cyberpunk genre should stuck into 80s forever, it's sounds as boring stagnation in genre since whole " 80s retro-futuristic" was formed by influence of after-war Japan in 80s. Boom of Electronic Industry and shit. Now Japan looks different and on horizon new problems of modern society, like high unemployment after new wave of automation. It's time to move on.

I daresay the image of robots riding in a cab driven by a human is meant to be ironic.
Perhaps.

Archibald

Arcane
I think that "80s retro-futuristic" is more like a base upon which you build and you can build whatever the fuck you want as long as you don't move away from some core ideas.

Prime Junta

I don't think cyberpunk genre should stuck into 80s forever, it's sounds as boring stagnation in genre since whole " 80s retro-futuristic" was formed by influence of after-war Japan in 80s.

I agree.

But the game we’re talking about isn’t just cyberpunk. It’s Cyberpunk, a computer adaptation of a very specific cyberpunk game and setting. Bring a 21st century sensibility to that and it loses its identity.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I don't think cyberpunk genre should stuck into 80s forever, it's sounds as boring stagnation in genre since whole " 80s retro-futuristic" was formed by influence of after-war Japan in 80s.

I agree.

But the game we’re talking about isn’t just cyberpunk. It’s Cyberpunk, a computer adaptation of a very specific cyberpunk game and setting. Bring a 21st century sensibility to that and it loses its identity.
Well Witcher's series wasn't exactly followed the original books. And these games was ok. So I don't think they should exactly replicate ALL elements from original tabletop for creation a normal computer game. Common, Cyberpunk 2013 was released in 1988, 2020 in 1990, if they blandly would implement all elements from minimum 18 years old view on future people will be like "isn't this game supposed to be about 2077 future?" It's main problem of science fiction, that after 20 years after creation of book/game author's speculations about future look accurate and funny at best or weird at worst, when future different from predictions. Besides, not all auditory of studio played in table top, but all people seen news about remote cars.

I noticed that in the trailer, the collar on the first character's jacket is the same design as on Cyberpunk 2020's core book cover. I like these references they keep dropping in their promotional stuff.

Freddie

Savant
To go back to Gibson's tweet - I disagree with him about the "generic" complaint - I would actually find it more generic if it only showed night time and rain and dark blade runner stuff we probably all expected. But he was right that it reminds of GTA - it has a similar style of debut GTA trailers that focus on the city, its inhabitants and vignettes from it rather than on player action or gameplay. But this ain't a bad thing for introductory trailer like this.
His attitude towards games sort of have a history.

Wikipedia said:
About Shadowrun PnP
Shadowrun is also influenced by the writings of William Gibson (particularly Neuromancer).[6] Gibson, who gave no permission and expressed strong aversion for mixing his ideas with "spare me, *elves*,"[7] reacted as follows to its release:

[W]hen I see things like Shadowrun, the only negative thing I feel about it is that initial extreme revulsion at seeing my literary DNA mixed with elves. Somewhere somebody's sitting and saying 'I've got it! We're gonna do William Gibson and Tolkien!' Over my dead body! But I don't have to bear any aesthetic responsibility for it. I've never earned a nickel, but I wouldn't sue them. It's a fair cop. I'm sure there are people who could sue me, if they were so inclined, for messing with their stuff. So it's just kind of amusing.
And I can get it and I still appreciate him a lot as writer, but the thing is that he isn't getting any money from most of the products in Cyberpunk genre. That said if someone tried to do Pattern Recognition the Game, I would be interested but I think it would be huge challenge to create a game that really respects the novel. And frankly, it's good thing that the genre which is so huge isn't restricted to vision of one man.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
They just had an interview between the dude from CDPRed and Gamespot at E3. Nothing spectacular, but he confirmed:

1) it is FPP
2) but not really FPS, but cRPG foremost
3) Three types of range weapons, (i) power - kind of like shotguns I assume, (ii) penetrating ones, like sniper I assume, and (iii) special - that can follow the targets - he mentioned that these ones are especially for players who suck at twitch based combat - I assume drones. Also melee weapons confirmed
4) he cannot talk about flying cars - my impression was that it will not be a normal means of transport like cars or motorcycles (which he confirmed). I assume it will be more like fast travel like underground network, or just contextual - A pity, I was hoping that this old Techland's game called Crime Cities will finally get the proper follower. I may be wrong though (hopefully)!
5) there will only be three classes that you can follow (seamlessly - you are not restricted to one from the beginning) - Netrunner, Techie and Solo. The rest will be represented as NPC, but not really a path for the main character - a pity again, though quite expected I would say (still they could offer at least Media/Corps as a suave/smooth-talking character, or even maybe a Cop as a spin on Solo, but with extra intel plus some exclusive interesting stuff like being moral or bribe-friendly cop).

All in all, we will see.

Cabazone

Educated
I thought the trailer visuals were pretty cool. There is some nicely creepy imagery in it. But, by Jove, how unfathomably boring the monologue is! The "American's dream" vibe has been done to death and the delivery is very unremarkable. Given Cd Projekt's experience in writing bland main character, it doesn't bode well for "Big Dreamer”.

That being said, I don't care that much about it. Should Cyberpunk end up being bad, I have little doubt that it will be because of its obnoxious gameplay and passive quest design.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Glad to know that cyberpunk is now all about darkness and rain.
It's not about cyberpunk the genre, because it was made in plethora of different styles from ascetic Tetsuo to bombastic Dredd, and stuff like bright days are just a tiny speck of those visions. It's abut about CP as Pondsmith's franchise, which has always been a darker vision than, say, Shadowrun, and as such the trailer simply seems to be going for the general audience with toned down grimness and colorful visuals. It's simply too generic, as if afraid to go all the way down to it's p&p roots. It's like comparing Paycheck to Blade Runner.
Okay fine, that is a valid argument to make and I can see where you're coming from. My comment was aimed at the posters from page 1 & 2 who were crying that it's not Cyberpunk because it's not dark and wet.

However, I still maintain that as the teaser trailer was 100% reproduction of the sort of stereotypical Cyberpunk noir-vibe of CP2020 rulebook art & lore sections, we will see another trailer at some point that will showcase that aspect of the engine. CDPR scripted the teaser trailer, even if they then hired an external CGI studio to actually make it.

Also, some Reddit dude said that the French gaming sites confirmed that "V", our protagonist, can be female, by using the female prefix or some such. So now that chick who modded PST to have a female protagonist can actually play this game.

Last edited:

Naraya

Arcane
via reddit:

• CD Projekt describes the game as a "first-person RPG."
  • Gameplay is in first a first-person perspective, but switched to third-person during a cutscene.
  • You play a character named V (as in the letter).V can be a man or a woman.
  • The game features first-person driving.While driving, the U.I. appears diegetically on the windshield.
  • Damage numbers pop up during combat.
  • CD Projekt also described Cyberpunk as a "mature experience intended for mature audiences."
  • Like Witcher, you take missions from NPCs and have dialogue options in conversations.
  • It's an open world that you open up more with "street cred." For example, a specific jacket might raise it by 5%, allowing you access to new places.
  • Game is FPS perspective
  • FPS perspective made to feel more personal
  • RPG with Shooter Elements not a Shooter with RPG elements
  • Multiple different progression systems (Skills, Perks, etc.)
  • V, protagonist - urban merc/hired gun.
  • Voiced protagonist, male and female voices
  • Full character creation system (Gender, Looks, Lifepath/Backstory)
  • You DO NOT pick classes in the beginning, class system is fluid based on choices
  • Dystopian Cyberpunk future shown in sunlight on purpose. Full Day/Night Cycle. Noir themes bleed through environment and aesthetic
  • Characters from Cyberpunk 2020 lore will appear
  • Netrunner Techie and Solo are main focused classes
  • You can combine classes
  • Optional classes exist (like Rockerboy and Corporate) and you can pull perks from them to add into your own custom class
  • Story and quest system from Witcher 3 is implemented into Cyberpunk similarly.
  • Choice and consequence is HUGE. Emphasized that the game is an RPG first and foremost
  • Story is personalized by player choice.
  • Combat - Ranged combat and Melee combat. Learned lessons from Witcher 3. FPS Melee combat.
  • Weapons - 3 branches - Power Weapons (heavy hitting/stagger), Tech Weapons (penetrating through cover), Smart Weapons (tracking/following)
  • Vehicles - Motorcycles, Cars, hinted at flying cars.
  • V is a fully voiced character. Both Male and Female completely voiced.
  • V's personality is shaped by player. Backstory and interactions shape V's personality.
  • Cyberpunk is a dark dystopia in the same vein as Witcher 3 being Dark Fantasy
  • Details of the world - everything has a purpose. World design was a huge focus in setting the tone.
  • Night City - in between SF and LA (fictional city). Inspired by both cities.
  • 6 unique districts in the city. Each area has its own feel on top of the base Noir feel
  • Exploration is encouraged.
  • Witcher was horizontally huge, Cyberpunk is vertically huge.
  • You can enter buildings, Mega Buildings exist as well with multiple floors and multiple areas to explore within a single building.
  • No level scaling. 2 forms of XP - Core XP - Main Missions and Street Cred - Side missions
  • Higher Street Cred opens new exclusive vendors and fixers (new jobs)
Also - the amount of people whining it's not a cyberpunk-themed Witcher reskin is hilarious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom