Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah but it's probably gonna be some boring +5 to speech skill!!! shit. And the perks should be mutually exclusive. I don't want masters of all trades to be possible.

I want my corp V to defeat the bad guy by bringing his stocks to a crawl and take over his company.
I want my cop V to purge the filth from the streets of Night City and bring the bad evil dude to justice.
I don't just want a +5% damage to guns and +5% chance on dialogue checks.

And people in hell want ice water. It will obviously be +5% damage and stuff, I wouldn't expect it to be anything more than that, they have to bring in that AAA crowd.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
DfgjIsoWAAALqjh.jpg:large

KK1001

Arbiter
Lol at anyone who thought they'd do an entire story around each class.

The Codex was supposed to be full of pessimists, not idiotic dreamers disappointed when they learn that the game doesn't have as main story for each class with 350 different endings, all with Witcher 3 character reactivity and writing

Perkel

Arcane
I assume "optional" means that you will need to establish proffession first. So you can't start as a cop but you can join cops and then play as cop. Same with corpo etc.

Ape

Novice
EDIT: Ah, so they will include Rockerboy and Corporate to some extent.
? Why you say this?
Dunno where the "you can pull perks from rockerboy and corporate" comes from but if I'm not completely mistaken the dude getting interviewed only said thet you meet characters based on those classes rather than playing them yourself. Keep in mind I've had a couple of glasses of scotch so I might have missed something.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
At least CD Projekt and now even Ubisoft are comfortable with using word 'RPG' and labeling their games as such, CD Projekt even goes as far as to say it's that first and foremost. How much that's true and aligns with Codex's democraticly voted screeched concesus of RPG remains to be seen.

On the other hand you've got RPG giants from the past ala Bethesda and Bioware who'd rather say 'yeeeeeh fuck Nazis' and 'fucking degenerates' live on stage or even '14/88 race war when, hang all Redguards!?' then utter dreaded word RPG. Fallout 4 is not even labeled as RPG ANYWHERE on the box or official description. ANYWHERE. Fallout 76? Nigga please... Even Starfield and ES VI are described as their 'next singleplayer experiences'. Before they would always announce future games as RPGs and labeled themselves as RPG makers. They sold out, they're self aware of that and only place that recognises them as RPG devs is ironically categorisation of RPG Codex's subforums. Bethesda should be kicked all together from General RPG discussion. It's shame and disgrace that Styg and Iron Tower are banished in their small little dark corners of this forum where they might get occasional Codex traveler while these companies get to live in best RPG district of this site. Shamfur disrpray from Codex Overseers, that has been annoying me so much and for so long.

Searching for 'RPG' in Bethesda's conference...

'1 result found'

'weapon used during Quake trailer'

You can assess how much or how little game will be RPG more often then not by how much marketing gurus deem that word 'problematic' and how much they use it. At least from my experience this RPG radar technic hasn't failed me once.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
  • RPG with Shooter Elements not a Shooter with RPG elements
  • Choice and consequence is HUGE. Emphasized that the game is an RPG first and foremost
  • No level scaling.
:hype:

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I've been praying for First Person RPG for years. If it's true, I will play it even if it's average. The game has it right way in the core.

Beowulf

Arcane
There was already a developer that argued that showing damage on screen is a sign of their deep RPG systems.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
You know who else spews bullshit like "It's an RPG, trust me" and the like?

Todd Howard.
Hahaha I waited for someone to say this because Todd certainly didn't this year.Not even once. Last time, a couple of times. When Skyrim was announced few more. When they promoted Fallout 3 even more. As you go deeper into past the amount of word RPG rolling from this silver tongued devil's tongue increases. Coincidentally so those amount of RPG mechanics. Of course they were usually badly implemented but they were there. Now in their place there are emoticons and goofy facial expression you and your pals can make while standing in front of mountain of Deathclaw corpses.

Mech

Cipher
Hey remember what other RPG became first person? :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom