Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Latelistener

Arcane
Mario + Rabbids is according to its Wikipedia page the best-selling game on the Switch not published by Nintendo.
That's because Nintendo is a different beast that always stayed on its own territory.
They also have the Fire Emblem series.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Does anyone have it in them to write an effort post for UnstableVoltage on how "it gives us more resources" is the common refrain used by many developers who go on to release, well, PC games that feel designed as if for a console? I get the feeling that he might not actually know this trope. Our burnt-out shitposts aren't educating him.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Now I understand why they changed the formerly awesome armors to generic sci-fi models: The console crowd is scared of new things and that's why they had to make everything look same-y.

This is my biggest gripe TBH. I was never against consoles and never will be (I've played Dune 2000 on PS1, the gamepad isn't suited for RTS at all unlike TBS + the console was just too weak to process all of the units so the game would slow down to like 30 frames per minute, no I'm not kidding you) but I'm always afraid that the publisher/marketing team will force some stupid decisions on the developers, or they will just get greedy and do it themselves.

Change of art direction is probably my biggest gripe with PP's development. Dumbing down is unfortunate, but I would still play the game for the atmosphere alone.

Now it looks like they went from Moebius/Gimenez/Giger style to bland Halo-like shit. Whoever greenlighted that decision should have his eyes torn out. With a fucking spoon. Or a gamepad.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"Is there going to be console version?"
"I wish we could do a console version. This is in the hands of the gods at the moment. Funding permitting, we would like to do it. At the moment we’re only working on PC/Mac/Linux versions." -Julian Gallop, Most recent Q&A back in February.

"We have no plans as yet for a console version - it depends very much on the funding (and it doesn't mean dumbing anything down either)."-Julian Gallop, Reddit Q&A last year in may

When they asked for our financial aid the explicit promise was for a PC-centric only game with no consideration for consoles. Every subsequent second tought is simply a betrayal of trust, and now they definetely sold their soul (and a part of their body) for M$ loose change.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
What is the basis for your argument?

Consoles need a consolized UI, consolized controls and a systematic streamlining of mechanics for a more casual target audience. They have far fewer resources than the average PC and as such the whole development must be lowered to the common denominator, on the detriment of PC users. This happened again and again already with no exceptions, on what basis should we think this time it will be different? Because it's on the one making extraordinary claims that befalls the burden of proof.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Microsoft now is like those music producers from 60s and 70s where they threw money at any artist in the hope of being the next hit.
:)

Mustawd

This is a very sad turn of events for PC gamers UnstableVoltage . Not your doing of course, but please add me to the list of people dissapointed with this development.

Mustawd

What a disappointment... I came here to feast on the rage over a xbox release announcement and there's nothing at all. Even their Facebook page has more, even if it's mostly just one very vocal asshole. Doesn't feel like the Codex at all here... :P

I think most of us are like a parent with a teenage son who just got caught trying to get the family dog to lick his junk.

We’re not really angry. We’re just dissapointed.

*shakes head sadly*

EDIT: I mean...what?

Last edited by a moderator:

HansDampf

Arcane
*shrugs* They always said they'd want to port this to consoles if they had the resources, why would you assume it would suddenly be a different game now.

UnstableVoltage said:
With Phoenix Point, we sent out a survey, and console versions came back very low on the list. While more strategy games are coming to console (probably XCOM to thank for that), they have been primarily a PC focused genre. We are currently focusing on the PC product to ensure delivery of the best possible version.

We always intended to release on Windows, Linux and Mac with no consideration to consoles. That is not to say a console port couldn't happen in the future, but it would very much depend on the success of the game and the demand for a console version. The issue with console ports is the additional expense. While current gen consoles run on pretty much the same architecture as PCs, there's still a lot of work to be done to port them (especially to fit within hardware limitations of the consoles). Even if done in-house, that's still development time to pay for. Additionally, there can be additional licencing and certification costs to release on console platforms. So as you can see, a lot has to be taken into consideration to determine if a console release is viable.
"Is there going to be console version?"
"I wish we could do a console version. This is in the hands of the gods at the moment. Funding permitting, we would like to do it. At the moment we’re only working on PC/Mac/Linux versions." -Julian Gallop, Most recent Q&A back in February.

"We have no plans as yet for a console version - it depends very much on the funding (and it doesn't mean dumbing anything down either)."-Julian Gallop, Reddit Q&A last year in may

https://phoenixpoint.info/blog/2018/2/5/facebook-live-qa-2-terror-from-the-deep
https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoi...m_the_designer_of_xcom_and_phoenix_point_ask/
PP is a game designed by popular vote, and the console crowd has been getting louder and louder. It's obvious where this is headed.

flyingjohn

Arcane
So let me get this straight?
A big publisher known for meddling in development agrees to fund your game.And somehow we are led to believe there won't be any meddling and pc will be a priority?
There is a higher chance of Bethesda making a true successor to fallout 2 then this.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Now we have more resources.

2e3y70x.jpg

ArchAngel

Arcane
InB4 max squad size of 6.
If this fucking happens I want my money back from FIG!
I supported them on good faith that it would be at least better than nuXcom games. And one of the worst offending things in nuXcom is 6 man team limits.

6 man limits, no inventory and pod system are 3 worst offenders in nuXcom and leaving any of those 3 in PP is instant refund case for me.

I only bought Xcom 2 on sale once Long War 2 was released.

PanteraNera

Arcane
If this fucking happens I want my money back from FIG!
I supported them on good faith that it would be at least better than nuXcom games. And one of the worst offending things in nuXcom is 6 man team limits.

6 man limits, no inventory and pod system are 3 worst offenders in nuXcom and leaving any of those 3 in PP is instant refund case for me.

I only bought Xcom 2 on sale once Long War 2 was released.
:updatedmytxt:

Interesting you were one of the main guys against my "shit-postings" I am quite surprised to read something like that from you.

I must say I have come to terms with Phoenix Point quite some time ago, I really wanted it to be "my personal UFO:EU successor", but to be frank, there was never a chance for that and I was fabulously optimistic, nope delusional about that.

Like I said several months before, Allen Stoud the lead writer is doing a great job at building the world around PP and the stories I have read so far got me hooked for the setting. I still hope that the game will be better than XCOM 1 & 2 and think it will, if the TU system stays. But that is the sad part, they are always stating "subject to change" so who knows if TU's / multiple shots with TU's will make it into the final game. Just as a reminder, it was stated they implemented it for testing purpose.

That is what worries me the most and is the reason why I have still not pre-ordered the game: lack of information and also lack of commitment.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
The more I read about it, the more sceptical i get. Have to admit, i was fabulously optimistic at start, backed the figstarter (digital download level, nothing too expensive tho), been lurking in this forum thread.
But as time passes, and more information is revealed (actually, very little, mostly just changes from the stuff promised in the figstarter), the controller issue, now Micro$oft,...the entire vibe emanating from the company (and Julian) behind the game seems kinda .... UNSURE .... not what i expected at all.

There is no clear vision and the stuff presented (new art, etc) and it just kinda looks bland. The lore is good and it got me hooked (Stroud is doing good work), but all of this just reminds me of Hellgate London - great pitch, lore and idea, but a dumpster fire and gnashing of teeth in the end.

xmd1997

Educated
*Shrug
I'm just along for the ride, I still have faith in this game(for now) but then again even I'm starved for them to show off something well... new. I'm hoping that the backer build two will be a big surprise but I guess that's just me being "Fabulously optimistic". Even if the game doesn't live up to my expectations there's always other TBS games to keep me busy(Xenonauts 2, Phantom Doctrine, Endstate(I would be very surprised if this game came out lol)).

PanteraNera

Arcane
Okay, just to summarize this everyone that was positive or neutral about PP from the codex itt, lost faith in the the project by now?
Everyone but luinthoron ?

xmd1997

Educated
I still believe in it I guess. I was talking about Endstate at the end of my post. At least snapshot games actually seem to be alive, unlike those devs. Sad too since Endstate really seems like it could be the modern-day Jagged Alliance we all desperately want.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom