Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Suchy

Arcane
For once, I want punk back in my cyber. I don't want yet another badass/superagent/android/replicant/one of a kind protagonist. Deus Ex was all cyber, no punk (aside from a few NPCs). In Blade Runner, even Ghost In The Shell, all that high-tech low-life was just background. As far as movies go, I think only Nirvana (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO4Q_6hr5II) did it justice. In games - BloodNet (https://www.gog.com/game/bloodnet). Finally looks like CDPR nailed this aspect, need more info about the story though.

I totally don't mind the game having daytime. Even blue sky, it's California FFS. It's supposed to have full day/night cycle and weather system, so we will have these rainy neon nights.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Oh, I wouldn't have a problem with the game being as good as Deus Ex.

It will very very good... The thematic will be a lot different Deus ex has his own thematic that most of the time fall in the same things over and over again... But you will see.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Trauma Team is the one you are interested to have a contract with... Pretty much like the modern ambulance with the difference they are well armed and equipped and is in their own interest extract you in case of wounds and keep you alive... For example if you are wounded in a firefight you activate your trauma team card that also have an automatically signal that warn the Trauma Team the moment your brainwave pattern falls into a coma state. When the Trauma Team is allerted they will come to take you in the minor time possible gunblazing each individual that will interfere with the extraction in order to save you and keep you alive. It is pretty much a franchise of paramedics operating in the US, Canada, and parts of Europe.

While the Psychosquad is a division of the police designed to track and hunt down cyberpsichos... Many member of the psychosquad are actually fromer cyberpsicho.. The cyberpsichosis is a mental disease one catch when is too much agumented it pretty much makes you feel like an improved being soon you will start to call not agumented people meatbags.. and this usually excalate with a violent rush o violence toward the people around you at a minimal provocation. (pretty much what you see in the first cyberpunk 2077 trailer the Psychosquad called to take the girl that went psycho) now usually this will end with the termination of the subject but in some case they will force you to see an expert and undergo in a long form of therapy for recover if you disagree they will kill you on the spot.
Alright, based on this 2 paragraphs alone, I already like this setting more than Shadowrun.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Trauma Team is the one you are interested to have a contract with... Pretty much like the modern ambulance with the difference they are well armed and equipped and is in their own interest extract you in case of wounds and keep you alive... For example if you are wounded in a firefight you activate your trauma team card that also have an automatically signal that warn the Trauma Team the moment your brainwave pattern falls into a coma state. When the Trauma Team is allerted they will come to take you in the minor time possible gunblazing each individual that will interfere with the extraction in order to save you and keep you alive. It is pretty much a franchise of paramedics operating in the US, Canada, and parts of Europe.

While the Psychosquad is a division of the police designed to track and hunt down cyberpsichos... Many member of the psychosquad are actually fromer cyberpsicho.. The cyberpsichosis is a mental disease one catch when is too much agumented it pretty much makes you feel like an improved being soon you will start to call not agumented people meatbags.. and this usually excalate with a violent rush o violence toward the people around you at a minimal provocation. (pretty much what you see in the first cyberpunk 2077 trailer the Psychosquad called to take the girl that went psycho) now usually this will end with the termination of the subject but in some case they will force you to see an expert and undergo in a long form of therapy for recover if you disagree they will kill you on the spot.
Alright, based on this 2 paragraphs alone, I already like this setting more than Shadowrun.

It is a great setting but in the end many elements in shadowrun are also common in cyberpunk as well. The setting is clearly dystopian more in contents than how it looks.

logrus

Augur
Project: Eternity
It's an american megacity in the year 2077, why is my protagonist not a white blond haired man :retarded:

this is your brain on the codex
Since 2077 America will be half black, half Latino with some white guys left at the reserves, there are way too many white people trailer :D
On the other hand, maybe in CP setting it's realistic that everyone goes Michael Jackson way :D

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, I for one don't feel the need to have muh darkness and rain in Cyberpunk.
The art gives me strong Ghost in the Shell vibes (not just the original movie), which is a very good thing.

On the other hand I do not have stellar gameplay expectations after TW3. Well, hope at least they learned something about itemization FFS.

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, I for one don't feel the need to have muh darkness and rain in Cyberpunk.
The art gives me strong Ghost in the Shell vibes (not just the original movie), which is a very good thing.
Well, GITS: SAC is post-cyberpunk, really, hence the lighter colorscale and more optimistic outlook. :M

Fredward

Scholar
I'm assuming it's at least partly an age thing but a lot of the punk aesthetic comes across as cringey to me. The mullets, mowhawks, latex (I'm not sure I saw latex but I feel like I saw latex) don't look... I dunno, cool? Is that what punk is going for? Edgy? Some of the terminology is also a bit awkward, like rockerboys (lol).

I read someone (it might have been on here) describe Cyberpunk as the darker, more mature setting and Shadowrun as the goofier/lighthearted brother but if I were going by the contemporary offerings of the two, which is the only exposure I have, that's definitely not the impression I'd walk away with.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I'm assuming it's at least partly an age thing but a lot of the punk aesthetic comes across as cringey to me. The mullets, mowhawks, latex (I'm not sure I saw latex but I feel like I saw latex) don't look... I dunno, cool? Is that what punk is going for? Edgy? Some of the terminology is also a bit awkward, like rockerboys (lol).

I read someone (it might have been on here) describe Cyberpunk as the darker, more mature setting and Shadowrun as the goofier/lighthearted brother but if I were going by the contemporary offerings of the two, which is the only exposure I have, that's definitely not the impression I'd walk away with.

Millenial detected.

Sentinel

Arcane

That's punk. It's juvenile fuck the police attitude. That includes looks.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

to me is much more cringey all this action games that pretends to be serious when they are not... With a protagonist that seems under steroid all the time.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
What would you replace it with? Undercuts and beards? XDDD It's supposed to be edgy and "outrageous".

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Well, GITS: SAC is post-cyberpunk, really, hence the lighter colorscale and more optimistic outlook. :M
The SAC series focuses on thematic that are very relatable to our world, outside of the use of advanced technology which is mostly adding flavor to the setting much like salt in your food.
Season 1 presents two main themes : how society changes with modern communication, and the effect of rampant capitalism left unchecked. The latter scenario isn't even that different from many, many events that happened in our past and present. Corporation hiding nefarious things for the sake of profits? You mean, like when they didn't tell workers radium paint was highly detrimental to one's health? The GitS world is not a dystopia so much as it is a mirror of the world we already have, but in a distant future where technology has progressed beyond our current means.

SAC sits between the two extremes views of the future. It's neither the horrible dystopia nor is it the heaven that some people genuinely believe in at the moment in the silicon valley. You know, that sudden push for ideas like Basic Income that they imagine will come into fruition once automation has advanced enough that we wouldn't need many human workers?
SAC's answer to our future is that nothing will change. Our society will keep on going toward the same trajectory. Technology in SAC has progressed to the point where it would be feasible to imagine both a dystopia (if the world could be controlled by a single, powerful entity) and an utopia (humans can be free to focus on their hobbies and having fun) but instead of developing into either of these, the political system never underwent a major revolution. People still have to work, even mindless jobs, and they can't afford most of the genuinely miraculous goods that technology has spawned. Indeed, the Major initially worked for the military because they owned her expensive body. Most people can't afford to pay the maintenance costs of such bodies in the world of SAC. AI in the world of SAC is not yet quite the same as humans, but it could actually be used to perform most jobs. And yet, they don't. They are mostly put to use in things like the Think Tanks, tools of war. Or the rich getting richer, like EP14 with a man who nobody knew he was dead because his automated trading system kept making money for him after his death. It's based on something already exists in a limited form but not many members of the public are aware of :
https://www.investopedia.com/articl...algorithmic-trading-concepts-and-examples.asp

It's just wonderful how much likeness there is to the real world in SAC, underneath the elements of Sci-Fi. It's grounded in reality, in how humans really behave. It's much closer to what our world would look like if we had access to futuristic technology than the average piece of cyberpunk fiction. It's actually a wonder this even got made as an anime, it's an anomaly among its kind. I actually am one of the heretics who much prefer it over the original movie, which focused on existential themes.

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Eh..I just
To say Cyberpunk as a whole fucking genre means: "Huck Finn means you have to be a rebellious little teen from America circa 1850 to....i dunno....1940?" That's a whole fucking genre that has dominated Western though since pretty much the beginning of Western (i.e. American) thought."

You're either Huck Finn (i.e. Han Solo), or you're the corporate stooge (i.e. the shat-upon corporate stooge that redeems himself by disobeying the empire/corporation).....

The truly American hero is the asshole that sticks up for Corporate Rule. Ayn Rand is the truly American hero-fantasist.

If you want a truly American RPG hero, then it's the one Biosphere gives you but without the irony.

I don't even know what the fuck I meant by this. Please forgive me.

Veelq

Augur
j4SaQ8q.jpg

Dexter

Arcane
I think this would be all much clearer if we define the following things:

A) The Cyberpunk 2020 pnp setting
B) Cyberpunk as a genre

Now this discussion is all convoluted and confusing as we don't know who is referring to what of the above concepts.

One thing though, people saying that crying about the colors means 'you aren't probably familiar with the pnp' is complete baloney, for your information, there aren't a single colorful picture in the manuals (i have them both here on my HD and physical copies with my pnp group that first gathered some 25+ years ago). Why? Because they are all printed in black and white.
But that's a minor issue, I am more interested whether there will be drugs in the game, as those have a prominent role in the game as, giving various boosts and downsides.
There's something that 95%+ of people will refer to when they say "Cyberpunk" and that is largely agreed upon, and it's not a pnp setting. Further than that, it's very strange that when they revealed the first Concept Trailer giving off the same vibe nobody came out and said "This isn't like Cyberpunk (the pnp), it should be much more colorful!", even the Sourcebooks or pictures that have been posted for the PnP (including their covers) look a lot closer to that concept Trailer. So I choose to believe it's rather that some people seem butthurt that it's pointed out that some of the setting "doesn't look like Cyberpunk" and they're choosing to make excuses instead.

For instance this:
While the manuals have black and white illustration.. Cyberpunk is grounded on reality quoting mike pondswith that is also actively involved in this game production... So is not only night and rain... at all.
When CDProjekt put out a video of Mike Pondsmith walking around during the night under bridges in Detroid talking about nights like that and rain and what makes Cyberpunk, these same people didn't pipe up to exclaim that he's wrong and Cyberpunk (the pnp) is actually really colorful and stuff:

"It's rain wet streets, it's nights like this with fog rolling in, cars, faceless people going by, doing the things that they're doing, there's something kinda hypnotic about it, that's when I get inspired. To carry what these streets are like, what the city is like, the mysteries, the stories, the thousands and thousands of people, that you pass, that are going by as shadows in this wet, cold dangerous environment. I wanted to grab that. I wanted to take it to the future. And where I took it was Cyberpunk. What I loved was the fact that it was a combination of dystopian society, a lot of technology with this really great overlayer of almost film-noir. [...] The important part in Cyberpunk is just that. It's not the technology, it's the feel. It's getting that dark, gritty rain wet street feeling."

I don't even care that much about the color palettes etc. and I'm still hyped, but the contrarians telling everyone that says "this doesn't look quite Cyberpunk" off while acting like smartasses and claiming that they "don't know what they're talking about" are getting kind of annoying, and there's something deeply dishonest about it and not being able to admit that those concerns might be correct, but it might not matter and is not that important anyway with everyone moving on.

Instead they make up shit like this:
Sorry.... But if you are ignorant in the setting you should do yourself a favour and stop posting :D

Again you are confusing the cyberpunk genre with the cyberpunk setting

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Mike pondswith just told what inspired it... And by the way Mike pondsmith also answered at who was lamenting it was not drak and raining with.

"For those who wish it was more rainy and dark and stuff: Five words: Day/night Cycle Weather Algorithms

ANYONE can make it dark and rainy and neony. We already knew we could do that. We wanted to prove that it can be the Dark Future ANY TIME OF DAY OR NIGHT."

Mike Pondsmith creator of Cyberpunk

Also the manual suggest you play it at night but is never written that you MUST

Syme

Arbiter
"For those who wish it was more rainy and dark and stuff: Five words: Day/night Cycle Weather Algorithms

ANYONE can make it dark and rainy and neony. We already knew we could do that. We wanted to prove that it can be the Dark Future ANY TIME OF DAY OR NIGHT."

Mike Pondsmith creator of Cyberpunk

Whether they can pull it off or not, the very first mod that'll come out will be a 1kb file that locks in the RAINY NEON NIGHTS weather setting.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
That said the constant dark and rain that's associated with cyberpunk is mainly attributed to the heavy pollution that causes smog and acid rain. So even in daytime, it's never sunny in the cities.

Basically Shanghai today.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom