Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dirt Rally by Codemasters, PC exclusive

Beowulf

Arcane
Instead of focusing on rally, Codemasters added rallycross a few months ago. While not as retarded as Gymkhana, this is certainly:decline: and a waste of ressources. Especially considering that the game still lacks a bit of content.

[...]

There was some playerbase protest during early access period, if I'm not mistaken; but I guess that Codemasters wanted to do some kind of proof of concept with this releas, and that's why we have few different gamemodes - to judge their popularity. And Rallycross has quite a popularity, as some people like watching fast cars going in circles.
Looking at steam achievements right now:
Mr. Smooth - Complete a Rallycross race without colliding with another car. - 23,4%
But then again:
Playing With The Big Boys - Unlock the FIA World Rallycross Championship. - 4,8%
#HappyStreet - Be in a full Rallycross PVP lobby where every other player is your friend - 0,1%

But as it has no appeal to me, I haven't even touched it, and I'm saddened too, thinking that all this hard work could have gone to creating more "proper" rally stages.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Never understood why people put RBR on a pedestal. You can't possibly convince me real rally cars handle like that on gravel roads, there is literally no grip.

Same reason people liked rFactor or rFactor derived games so much. Interactivity is more important than "simulation" if by simulation you meant LARPing the behavior of the car while the game actually does most of the work for you, thus crossing over into arcade material.

phtmyr

Cipher
Looks like they are taking the piss out of themselves. That's pretty funny.

sEpnjqy.jpg

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
This is weird but the box version is coming with console versions in april, but you can get in on steam already.
Maybe steam 1.0 is not the final version yet?

racofer

Thread Incliner
Assetto Corsa killed all interest I could have had on this game and other racing "sims".

Their simulation model is pretty good and there is zero hand holding. If you go fast without a minimal understanding of the laws of physics and the capabilities of your car, you will undoubtedly crash.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane
Yeah, but isn't it "only" circuit racing (without mods) on tarmac?
What about gravel and other not so homogeneous surface types?

I prefer driving in some old Lancia Stratos in Wales than in Porshe in Nürburgring, but it's just my personal taste.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Assetto Corsa killed all interest I could have had on this game and other racing "sims".

Their simulation model is pretty good and there is zero hand holding. If you go fast without a minimal understanding of the laws of physics and the capabilities of your car, you will undoubtedly crash.

From what i understand there is actually "some" hand-holding in Assetto Corsa. Presumably, this is done in order to make the driving more accurate since real race cars don't really skit around as much as they did in rFactor and all other games based on that engine, but from a computer game point of view i think i'd rather have no interference whatsoever.

Either way, judging from the budding modding scene, Assetto Corsa is really the next rFactor at this point, rFactor 2 being a pile of crap from what i heard. I just wish it had more customization options, for the car as well as the controls. The game feels a bit.. bare bone in that department.

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah, but isn't it "only" circuit racing (without mods) on tarmac?
What about gravel and other not so homogeneous surface types?

I prefer driving in some old Lancia Stratos in Wales than in Porshe in Nürburgring, but it's just my personal taste.

From what i understand there is actually "some" hand-holding in Assetto Corsa. Presumably, this is done in order to make the driving more accurate since real race cars don't really skit around as much as they did in rFactor and all other games based on that engine, but from a computer game point of view i think i'd rather have no interference whatsoever.

Either way, judging from the budding modding scene, Assetto Corsa is really the next rFactor at this point, rFactor 2 being a pile of crap from what i heard. I just wish it had more customization options, for the car as well as the controls. The game feels a bit.. bare bone in that department.

AC doesn't have any other type of racing than tarmac. Though there are mods that add tracks on gravel. This is me using old BMW (stock) on one of those tracks. And i have kind of experience since i am from poland and those types of tracks in poland are common (and awesome to put your foot down).

It feels "floaty" (mostly due to stock road tires not proper wrc tires) but their physic engine works well considering it wasn't made for it:

As for AC physic model and handholding. They don't do any handholding and their driving model is fantastic.

Beowulf

Arcane
AC doesn't have any other type of racing than tarmac. Though there are mods that add tracks on gravel. This is me using old BMW (stock) on one of those tracks. And i have kind of experience since i am from poland and those types of tracks in poland are common (and awesome to put your foot down).

It feels "floaty" (mostly due to stock road tires not proper wrc tires) but their physic engine works well considering it wasn't made for it:

As for AC physic model and handholding. They don't do any handholding and their driving model is fantastic.

Kurde, całkiem ładnie.

The surface of the road seems to be modelled in great detail. How does it work with Force Feedback?
Are there more stages like this, or is it one decent mod with gravel for now?

Perkel

Arcane

Kurde, całkiem ładnie.

The surface of the road seems to be modelled in great detail. How does it work with Force Feedback?
Are there more stages like this, or is it one decent mod with gravel for now?

Works well with FFB surprisingly. I don't know if there are more tracks like this. I don't follow AC rally scene since Dirt Rally was released.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Bought this as my first non-arcady racing game and having a blast. Doing ok with a controller (force feedback is actually quite useful, I usually turn that right off in games) but I'm already wishing I had a wheel.

Kitchen Utensil

Yup, Dirt Rally is awesome and entirely playable with a gamepad (with all assists off). Physics feel very nice, it's difficult but controllable. Only thing that feels a bit off (as in unrealistic, too floaty) is tarmac. But once you get used to it, even tarmac is fun imo.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Just remember to lower the post process effects and install the mod the removes that stupid filter when you crash. The game is unbereable to look at otherwise.

This is what makes Assetto Corsa so good all considered. It looks like a proper PC game and isn't consolized garbage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom