Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

Ash

Arcane
Old argument but:

The light gem is not remotely the same, because it doesn't tell you anything about the enemies. It only informs you about Garrett's status, much like a health bar or ammo indicator.

Not true. The light gem informs you whether or not enemies will see you, should you be in their line of sight. True if it's not completely dark it can leave some uncertainty (for the inexperienced player), but ultimately it isn't some crutch thrown in just 'cause and didn't give more information than was neccessary, and the same is true for classic MGS radar.

Snake's radar on the hand functions exactly like all those intrusive HUD elements from modern games that completely remove the need to watch and listen to your environment by supplying you with information only an omniscient god would know. Well, I say 'exactly', but the MGS radar gives you even more information than any modern game I can think of.

WTF dude? Enemy positions and view cones, that's it. Well, beyond other information that nobody should have any issue with (e.g it doubles as a very basic map of the immediate area, and nobody hates maps). How many modern games have you played? And again, the range of the radar is short. And once more, it's a necessity because of the camera perspective. It's not some crutch. It serves a core, meaningful purpose like the light gem, or like the Ki meter (Ki meter obviously exists because Tenchu 1's draw distance was very limited).

Just for your information, since you don't know much about the game here's some more specifics regarding the radar, and why you have the wrong impression of it: the radar is sometimes jammed in particular areas. The radar can be dynamically jammed with chaff grenades. The radar is disabled while enemies are in alert status. The radar is not viewable while in first person perspective. And most importantly, its range is VERY limited.

You are right that the radar is necessitated by the claustrophobic view, but that betrays another flaw. In terms of game design, the first few MGS games are essentially 2D top-down games clumsily inserted into a 3D engine. As a result, they barely utilize 3D space in any meaningful way. On a subsconscious level this is probably why I bounced off the games so hard, but I wasn't able to articulate why until now.

Not entirely true. MGS3 for instance has some levels with moderate variation on the z-axis, and every level usually has at least at little. Overall though, it's definitely not Thief and Tenchu extent of use of the third dimension but it's not entirely devoid either. And of course there's no jump button. There is however the leaping roll, which is sometimes used for plaforming/z-axis purposes. Again mostly in MGS3.

The more I think about these games, the more awful they seem to be. But I'm sure I'm completely wrong and these games turn out to be amazing after the first few hours that I played.

You've simply got the wrong idea about them. I am a gameplayfag and while they're not best-of category in that regard, they do provide an adequate gameplay experience. Categorising them alongside modern popamole is simply false yammering nonsense.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
A walking sim with cinematic presentation and a ''2deep4u'' post-modern story performed by a cast of Hollywood actors. Yeah really sound like Kojima's dream game movie.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Well looks like his long dream of becoming the next Stanley Kubrick is about to be fulfilled.
You're in the Big Bois Club now Kojimbo-san. Enjoy while it lasts...

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Kojima needs some restrictions or he is unable to focus and finish stuff. He is very creative, but giving him no boundaries is a mistake and a money sink.

Big Wrangle

Let's see. A man who delivers mail gets dragged into some shit, and mindfuck happens. And then as we can see in a brief bit he whips out some yellow rifle.
Wake up people, Kojima is ripping off New Vegas!

McPlusle

Savant
So far this doesn't look even a tenth as mindblowing as it should be. Kojima even talked about how this was going to a new kind of action game that will take years to define, similar to how Metal Gear and Castle Wolfenstein predated the term "stealth game." So far this looks like a bleak hiking game.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So far this doesn't look even a tenth as mindblowing as it should be. Kojima even talked about how this was going to a new kind of action game that will take years to define, similar to how Metal Gear and Castle Wolfenstein predated the term "stealth game." So far this looks like a bleak hiking game.
The same way that it will take years for doctors to define the mental disorder of kojima.

KK1001

Arbiter
Kojimatards are gonna eat this shit up, just like they lapped up his last unfinished abortion.

"K-konami was so mean to Kojima! They gave him 7 years and 80 million dollars, and it wasn't enough!"

Kojima wants to desperately make a movie, but he can't because people know he can't write for shit. Another open world game into the garbage.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I'd like it to be successful as I am still bitter about Silent Hills.

Yea I think Silent Hills would have been great, you can have all this pretentious obtuseness and as long as the mood and atmosphere is right it would work.

I was so upset when that was canceled, they even had Junji Ito, he would have been perfect for SH, his manga horror design is exceptional.

But this game looks like a pile of garbage. "Dreary package delivery simulator" the sub-genre we never knew we needed.

Perkel

Arcane
The more i see kojima, rhe more i think konami is wise kicking him out. Seems like irresponsible money pit even he does make alot of it.

Kojimatards are gonna eat this shit up, just like they lapped up his last unfinished abortion.

"K-konami was so mean to Kojima! They gave him 7 years and 80 million dollars, and it wasn't enough!"
Kojima wants to desperately make a movie, but he can't because people know he can't write for shit. Another open world game into the garbage.

And yet MGS5 sold shitload and brought back probably more than $700mln+ for them if not more. Back in the day 10mln sold copies meant that you were approaching $1BLN in sales and from all looks MGS5 is either close to selling 10 or gone past that.

I'd like it to be successful as I am still bitter about Silent Hills.

I don't. He was poor choice for SH game. Like taking Micheal Bay to make slow paced drama movie.

Egosphere

Arcane
I don't. He was poor choice for SH game. Like taking Micheal Bay to make slow paced drama movie.

Exactly. Koj was the anti-thesis of team Silent. Worked great for MGS1-3, but he shouldn't have been anywhere near a potential reboot. I'm glad it got cancelled. The story was finished at 4 anyways.

I really have no idea what the hell is going on with this thing and I probably would have been more satisfied with a 100% CG trailer than whatever we got at e3. Is DS a walking/crawling simulator in the vein of those Chinese Room games? Is this the same action game with ambitious game design thing Kojima was talking about? Is he messing with us? If he is.. well.. brilliant...

Perkel

Arcane
Exactly. Koj was the anti-thesis of team Silent. Worked great for MGS1-3, but he shouldn't have been anywhere near a potential reboot. I'm glad it got cancelled. The story was finished at 4 anyways.

So far only studio that managed to "get" Silent Hill was Climax Studio. While their Origins for PSP was trash, their Shattered Memories basically delivered SH game by subversing expectations of SH fans in similar vein how SH2 did that.

newtmonkey

Arcane
So now Kojima is basically wearing Norman Reedus' skin. In a couple months, I bet Kojima will be going to hollywood parties in his Norman suit. This is one strange way to break into the movies. What a weird fucking guy.

This is the same cuck who let his wife tell him to stop making Metal Gear levels out of legos at work, back at Konami.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom