Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Curratum

Seriously though, is there a mod that does that? I think I saw a mod that changes the trainer notes but I think that just gives more specifics for 8, nothing for 6 and 7.

Such a simple feature to add, why did it take them 3 games to figure it out...

Back in the day, they had these things called notebooks and pencils (or even pens!) and the games came with a convenient little item (I believe they used to call those "maps") so you could easily cross reference this information at your convenience.

It was a wild time, I know. Now we have such incredible advances as the Quest Compass (tm). Everything is so much more straightforward! Thank you, Todd.

Curratum

Back in the day, they had these things called notebooks and pencils (or even pens!) and the games came with a convenient little item (I believe they used to call those "maps") so you could easily cross reference this information at your convenience.

It was a wild time, I know. Now we have such incredible advances as the Quest Compass (tm). Everything is so much more straightforward! Thank you, Todd.

Don't be freaking stupid.

I'm not talking about the Quest Compass (tm), I'm talking about the ability to place your own notes on your ingame map. Because you're playing a computer game, not a tabletop one, and the ingame map replaces the one you would draw out in a tabletop game.

Again, don't make stupid comparisons and analogies, the quest marker bullshit of modern games has nothing to do with the ability to annotate your map the way you want.

Edmund Spenser

Educated
Trainers will tell you where their masters live. You can also remember, or write locations down.

Or do what literally everyone else does and google "mm6 trainers."

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I'm talking about the ability to place your own notes on your ingame map.
at best 1 out of 100 RPGs have that option
or option to make your own notes
so demanding something like that is :fabulouslyoptimistic:

even the most technically advanced retard these days have notes and pens on their desks, there is no excuse for this

Curratum

I'm talking about the ability to place your own notes on your ingame map.
at best 1 out of 100 RPGs have that option
or option to make your own notes
so demanding something like that is :fabulouslyoptimistic:

even the most technically advanced retard these days have notes and pens on their desks, there is no excuse for this

It's shit design, but can be circumvented, so it's suddenly ok and it's not shit design anymore!

Most games don't have that option because they don't NEED it, due to the abovementioned quest compass and because they don't have over a hundred important NPCs scattered through the world. I swear, some people in here are as thick as pigshit.

Alkarl

Learned
I never used a faq or pen/paper for mm6. I genuinely didn't mind running all over, back and forth. Besides, spend some time away from an area and the stat barrels and shit respawn. It's probably my favorite entry in the series purely based on a "fun" factor. The only thing it's missing is Arcomage. I would still recommend giving it a shot, at least struggle through your first class promotion quests, and if you just aren't enjoying it, then it's not for you.

Besides, if I remember correctly, mm6 has more than one expert trainer per skill and skills only go up to master level anyway.

Bocian

Arcane
Super Mario Bros
hYrTG95.png

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I agree that MM6-7-8 are really out of hand with regards to trainers and the number of important NPCs to recall. Especially when you go from the Xeen games where there are only 5-6 facilities in each town, and the towns are laid out in a way that clearly shows where all the vendors are. MM6 can be overwhelming. Now you're just trying to remember which tiny square on the map was the one with the guy who trains the whatever skill, apart from the dozens of other identical, tiny squares on the map.

Still, they were going for a new engine and design so it figures it would take them a few iterations to add convenience features and smooth out the rough parts.

Or do what literally everyone else does and google "mm6 trainers."

Bingo.

Alkarl

Learned
Yeah, I remember the first time I booted up 6 and was like "This is game design?" All the rando villagers, skill trainers, guilds, and murder goblins just hanging out. Confused the fuck out of me.

I like it though.

8 is probably my least favorite (I don't count 9) despite the improvements. Otoh, I like the strangeness of 8 and with the mod that allows FPC, there are 2 ways to play.

7 is probably the best of the three when it comes to how tightly designed it is, along with reintroducing races and classes missing from 6. It's a much more complex game that manages to hearkens back to 3-4-5 pretty strongly, for me anyways.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You can screenshot any important information.
You can write it down.
You can google it.

Not really a problem, but some in-game annotations would of course help.
Remembering where everything is in Free Haven is not easy.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
It's not so bad. Trainers could wander around town, like in MM9. Coupled with MM6 no in-game notes policy, that would make for some exploration.

Edmund Spenser

Educated
Some people seem to be missing the fact that trainers tell you where to go to find the next trainer. Granted, it's not an exact location, but this isn't Skyrim.

Blaming a game's design for a) being old and of the first of its kind and more importantly, b) for not properly interacting with it is disingenuous at best.

I played MM6 first when I was like 14 at my friend's house and it wasn't some incomprehensible nightmare.

Last edited:

Bocian

Arcane
MM6 can be overwhelming. Now you're just trying to remember which tiny square on the map was the one with the guy who trains the whatever skill, apart from the dozens of other identical, tiny squares on the map.
If I managed to figure it out being 12 year old, it's not a real issue.

Curratum

MM6 can be overwhelming. Now you're just trying to remember which tiny square on the map was the one with the guy who trains the whatever skill, apart from the dozens of other identical, tiny squares on the map.

The difference is that you had virtually unlimited time back then and I have a day job and a kid and around 60 minutes to play games per day.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's not about figuring out. There is nothing complex in M&M6 that can't be figured out. It's about not wasting one's time by adding a simple feature which was implemented in many RPGs, and which is pretty useful.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted

The difference is that you had virtually unlimited time back then and I have a day job and a kid and around 60 minutes to play games per day.

The reason he can't understand that is bocian still has unlimited time.

The butthurt in the last few posts has been hilarious.

Grow a fucking pair of balls and write this shit down, if you don't feel like writing it look it up online, don't fucking whine about MUH GAME DESIGN and BUBU I DONT HAVE TIME ANYMORE like a filthy fucking cunt. Deal with it (or don't) and go back to whatever popamole garbage you usually play, just stop posting inane shit in a mostly incline thread about games that came out before you were fucking born.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom