Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mustawd

No I’m saying you can’t havie it both ways.

If it is not a Cyberpunk setting then ppl comparing it to a GTA V aesthetic is nothing bad.

We’re literally making an observation. The trailer feels like GTA is one statement. It “not feeling cyberpunk” is another.

If the second statement is not applicable then I don’t see what you’re trying to argue exactly. It feels and looks like GTA V. Ok now what? Apparently ur ok with this? If so then just say so.

For the rest of use we’re still trying to catch up to u pnp lore hipsters.

Mebs irl
13506402-young-beautiful-tourist-woman-riding-on-giant-turtle-in-la-vanille-reserve-park.jpg

KK1001

Arbiter
It captures the Cyberpunk 2020 aesthetic fairly well, although it is certainly infused with visual touches from more recent films and stuff like Android: Netrunner (which is colorful and cartoony) is clearly a pretty big influence.

The trailer is explicitly cut like GTA. CDPR wants the audience. Whether or not the game plays anything like GTA (I doubt it will be as car-centric; I doubt the map will be seamless; I doubt fucking around will be the main gameplay) is an open question

Last edited:

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I love that turtle by the way... Consider this... You will have your dark gritty and raining alley in the end... There are plenty of zones in night city that are just like that but don't expect a monothematic rapresentation.. Night city is vastly different depending on where you are... A nice example.. You go in the combat zone in daylight and propably streets will be deserted.. But go there in night and everything will be full of life.. Gangs..Boon..Reject you name it.

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Again you are confusing the cyberpunk genre with the cyberpunk setting

Wut? Who the fuck are you to determine what is or isn't Cyberpunk? Who the fuck made you the gatekeeper.....Even if William Gibson himself bowed down and lick your asshole and said, "You are THE Cyberpunk." You still wouldn't be the DECIDER OF CYBERPUNK.

It's a genre...it doesn't belong to anybody anymore.
Again you are confusing the cyberpunk genre with the cyberpunk setting

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

William Gibson is not the author of the cyberpunk setting... It has not autority to make that statement... Mike pondswith is the author of cyberpunk that is a pen and paper setting pretty much is like if tolkien went to criticize R.A Salvatore bitching that there are not hobbit in forgotten realms.. completely out of the blue and out of context...

It is a genre... But cyberpunk is also a pen and paper setting...And the game is based on the setting...retard.

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
To say Cyberpunk as a whole fucking genre means: "Huck Finn means you have to be a rebellious little teen from America circa 1850 to....i dunno....1940?" That's a whole fucking genre that has dominated Western though since pretty much the beginning of Western (i.e. American) thought."

You're either Huck Finn (i.e. Han Solo), or you're the corporate stooge (i.e. the shat-upon corporate stooge that redeems himself by disobeying the empire/corporation).....

The truly American hero is the asshole that sticks up for Corporate Rule. Ayn Rand is the truly American hero-fantasist.

If you want a truly American RPG hero, then it's the one Biosphere gives you but without the irony.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Yeah the thing is you are confusing a genre with a pen and paper setting that are two different things.... Cyberpunk again is a pen and paper setting not only a genre and Cyberpunk 2077 is based on a PEN and PAPER setting... Is so hard to understand?

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I hope that i will get to play as a white normal dude,i don't care much for other options as long as i get that one. Tired of all the sjw shit.

Well you are going to see transgender lesbian and such... Transhumanism in all the form is common in cyberpunk and was like that even in the pen and paper soo. The difference is nobody gives a fuck if you are a trans or a lesbian or gay in the cyberpunk universe.. you can get laid with a woman and discover also was a man before with no noticeable difference since she could have a totally sympthetic body

Or a black dude that modified his skin to be perfectly golden! Even the trailer shows a woman totally on chrome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fredward

Scholar
If I can't have a vagina that transforms into a penis and then back again during sex I'm calling this regressive Polish garbage.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

If I can't have a vagina that transforms into a penis and then back again during sex I'm calling this regressive Polish garbage.
Actually there are implants vaginal ones designed also to inject poison on the partner.... Is a pretty efficent assassination method if you are good looking.. good luck to get laid and survive :D

Mustawd

Actually there are implants vaginal ones designed also to inject poison on the partner.... Is a pretty efficent assassination method if you are good looking.. good luck to get laid and survive :D

That’s just mean.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's bothering me, on one hand, there are nothing wrong with stuff like these on paper:

screen-a-mercenary-on-the-rise.5.jpg

1528732421515.jpg

Those are indeed cyberpunk stuff they put in there, but it still looks shit, generic, plastic, and gay. In short, the trailer sucks. Like PoE, I must say, just like that PoE is technically an RPG but it's a shit one.

Hell, nu-Deus Ex and GITS: SAC both had lots of clean techs and aesthetics but they are much more distinct and appealing.

Can I blame this on current graphic trends?

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

The implants i seen in the trailer are pretty much the ones you can see on the manuals... The visible one consider many implants are designed to don't be seen at all... It looks shit? I don't actually agree it looks exactly how they look in the source books. Visible implants usually are made like that for two reasons...

A) They are griffed by some corporation so is more a fashion thing to wear them..

B) They lack dhermal part because they may be older or cheap cyberware.. Obtained with low price...

The woman you seen in the first trailer was agumented with nice stuff.. expensive stuff... The kind of stuff that is not visible on the eye until is used.. Also she had a dhermal implant to stop bullets.. another thing that is not cheap at all.

Cyberware in the setting is so common you also have small store selling it... For all taste.. Expensive stuff.. cheap stuff...even made off stuff from the black market if you know where to look.

Last edited by a moderator:

norolim

Arcane
I think the car looks pretty fucking amazing, it's like a cross between a DeTomaso Pantera and a Ferrari Testarossa. I would drive that shit IRL as unapologetically as a divorce lawyer drives his all-chrome Lamborghini.
I like the car designs they had in that trailer. Most of them felt very 80s.

Wut? Who the fuck are you to determine what is or isn't Cyberpunk? Who the fuck made you the gatekeeper.....Even if William Gibson himself bowed down and lick your asshole and said, "You are THE Cyberpunk." You still wouldn't be the DECIDER OF CYBERPUNK.

:what:

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I think the car looks pretty fucking amazing, it's like a cross between a DeTomaso Pantera and a Ferrari Testarossa. I would drive that shit IRL as unapologetically as a divorce lawyer drives his all-chrome Lamborghini.
I like the car designs they had in that trailer. Most of them felt very 80s.

:what:

Yeah right? hahahah

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think this would be all much clearer if we define the following things:

A) The Cyberpunk 2020 pnp setting
B) Cyberpunk as a genre

Now this discussion is all convoluted and confusing as we don't know who is referring to what of the above concepts.

One thing though, people saying that crying about the colors means 'you aren't probably familiar with the pnp' is complete baloney, for your information, there aren't a single colorful picture in the manuals (i have them both here on my HD and physical copies with my pnp group that first gathered some 25+ years ago). Why? Because they are all printed in black and white.
But that's a minor issue, I am more interested whether there will be drugs in the game, as those have a prominent role in the game as, giving various boosts and downsides.

Niklasgunner

Savant
HAHHAHAHAHAH this looks so fucking shit. Why is it so colorful? Where is the pollution? Why is the protag a fucking mutt? I expected much more from the first trailer. Looks like futuristic GTA popamole cancer.
It's an american megacity in the year 2077, why is my protagonist not a white blond haired man :retarded:

this is your brain on the codex

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I think this would be all much clearer if we define the following things:

A) The Cyberpunk 2020 pnp setting
B) Cyberpunk as a genre

Now this discussion is all convoluted and confusing as we don't know who is referring to what of the above concepts.

One thing though, people saying that crying about the colors means 'you aren't probably familiar with the pnp' is complete baloney, for your information, there aren't a single colorful picture in the manuals (i have them both here on my HD and physical copies with my pnp group that first gathered some 25+ years ago). Why? Because they are all printed in black and white.
But that's a minor issue, I am more interested whether there will be drugs in the game, as those have a prominent role in the game as, giving various boosts and downsides.

And then to me seems like the one that are bitching about the colors ar the one that actually don't know the setting while who knows the setting usually says the trailer do the setting justice... About the drugs... the braindance is something that we know is in from the beginning.. that would be way more dangerous than a drug at the point it can alientate somebody totally from his real existence... Imagine you plug a cable in your brain and you experience whatever you like to experience not only visually but also smelling touching feeling sensation... Braindance was mainly used as a form of therapy and is still used like it. But now is also used for entertainment and in the black market you can find really awful thing to experience... Imagine in the black market they sell you a data in wich you can experience to be a serial killer killing off a poor victing.. Feeling everything about it... like you are the serial killer.

Braindance is dangerous for that and it creates a sort of high addition too it tends to alienate the individual that is interested in experiencing more.. and more... and more..

While the manuals have black and white illustration.. Cyberpunk is grounded on reality quoting mike pondswith that is also actively involved in this game production... So is not only night and rain... at all.

Heck i mean there are people today that consider Nier Automata cyberpunk lol.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I like how that corporate dude is being wooed by both a man and a woman with mohawks in the train. Inclusiveness at its best. Anyway, the setting. I don't mind it yet, we'll see what the actual content and writing is about.

Imagine you plug a cable in your brain and you experience whatever you like to experience not only visually but also smelling touching feeling sensation... Braindance was mainly used as a form of therapy and is still used like it. But now is also used for entertainment and in the black market you can find really awful thing to experience... Imagine in the black market they sell you a data in wich you can experience to be a serial killer killing off a poor victing.. Feeling everything about it... like you are the serial killer.

Kinda creepy putting it that way. The Braindance thing sounds like the next step in art, some art is all about creating realities that aren't our own (like, for example, video games, the thing we are talking about), so there's nothing wrong with that. Inducing the actual physical sensations of being in another place and doing other stuff is a form of actual reality on its own, who is to say it isn't? It's more real to you in that moment than anything else. Will that cause addictions? More than certainly, but it won't cause any physical degenerations like the more hardcore drugs do, unless you stop eating or something, sooooo. Also, this might be the cure for serial killers, equip them with a Braindance and you are set.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I like how that corporate dude is being wooed by both a man and a woman with mohawks in the train. Inclusiveness at its best. Anyway, the setting. I don't mind it yet, we'll see what the actual content and writing is about.

Imagine you plug a cable in your brain and you experience whatever you like to experience not only visually but also smelling touching feeling sensation... Braindance was mainly used as a form of therapy and is still used like it. But now is also used for entertainment and in the black market you can find really awful thing to experience... Imagine in the black market they sell you a data in wich you can experience to be a serial killer killing off a poor victing.. Feeling everything about it... like you are the serial killer.

Kinda creepy putting it that way. The Braindance thing sounds like the next step in art, some art is all about creating realities that aren't our own (like, for example, video games, the thing we are talking about), so there's nothing wrong with that. Inducing the actual physical sensations of being in another place and doing other stuff is a form of actual reality on its own, who is to say it isn't? It's more real to you in that moment than anything else. Will that cause addictions? More than certainly, but it won't cause any physical degenerations like the more hardcore drugs do, unless you stop eating or something, sooooo. Also, this might be the cure for serial killers, equip them with a Braindance and you are set.

And that is indeed the danger... Not only that but also mental disorder as well in the end you can for example experience.. think... act.. feel the sensation of a serial killer... This could end to create really high mental issues... Of course this is the kind of stuff you find in the black market.

By the way here is a nice series of videos that explain the setting:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Cyberpunk+lore+madqueen

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why did they drop Witcher like a hot potato just as they were hitting their stride? They should have kept churning out Witcher stories in the same engine, while their other team should have worked on something that's easier to make great than Cyberpunk is.
Codexers complaining about a studio not milking a franchise dry, and trying somthing new. What a world do we live in...

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
And that is indeed the danger... Not only that but also mental disorder as well in the end you can for example experience.. think... act.. feel the sensation of a serial killer... This could end to create really high mental issues... Of course this is the kind of stuff you find in the black market.

By the way here is a nice series of videos that explain the setting:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Cyberpunk+lore+madqueen

I don't actually see "the danger". People who aren't serial killers might try it once and that's it, not to mention that gamers have pretend-killed more people than have existed in history, while actual serial killers have an outlet without hurting anybody for once, sooooo.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Is not about watching or interacting is about experiencing it yourself like you are the serial killer... often braindance experience are also memories real lived experiences.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom