Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 3 is a good game

Egosphere

Arcane
Yeah, best fallout game of all. Apart from the inane writing and quests, butchering of the lore, shit-caked factions etc etc. The game was a fucking sham. Seriously, watch that balding basement dwelling brit tear it a new arse in his 2 hr vid, even if he's insufferable in all other vids.

Cael

Arcane
Yeah, best fallout game of all. Apart from the inane writing and quests, butchering of the lore, shit-caked factions etc etc. The game was a fucking sham. Seriously, watch that balding basement dwelling brit tear it a new arse in his 2 hr vid, even if he's insufferable in all other vids.
Fallout3 is to Fallout what the HBS game is to Battletech. In both cases, we have fucktards creaming their pants over the Brahmin poo they just rolled in tinsel.

Egosphere

Arcane
Except Fallout 3 was a bad game all around. The only defense of the game I've heard rolled out is that the exploration was great. Well it wasn't. It was utter shit, unless you think rolling around in a landfill and stuffing random junk up your arse constitutes fun.

Combat? Terrible
Exploration? Terrible
Narrative? Terrible

The revisionism by some trying to paint it as a good game, but not a good fallout game, is hilarious

Cael

Arcane
Except Fallout 3 was a bad game all around. The only defense of the game I've heard rolled out is that the exploration was great. Well it wasn't. It was utter shit, unless you think rolling around in a landfill and stuffing random junk up your arse constitutes fun.

Combat? Terrible
Exploration? Terrible
Narrative? Terrible

The revisionism by some trying to paint it as a good game, but not a good fallout game, is hilarious
So is the HBS game. Well, other than the opening cinematic. Only good thing about it.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
It is a *good* game. But it's just not a good *fallout* game. Fallout 3 with the name Apocalypse Washington would be the same game anyway. People who enjoy it now would still play and enjoy it. Only on the codex, where Fallout is regarded as one of the classics can it be considered bad. And the codex is *right* because to the codex the name Fallout is reserved for a TB tactics game with apocalypse setting.
It's not a "good" game, but yes, if it was named "Wasteland: Washington" that would have saved a lot of people a lot of head-ache. Then again, hating can provide it's own kind of entertainment. Imagine if it was an actual great 3d first-person adaptation of Fallout, now that would have been disastrous.

Sykar

Arcane

Combat? Terrible
Exploration? Terrible
Narrative? Terrible

So is the HBS game. Well, other than the opening cinematic. Only good thing about it.

HBS has the good fortune that there are simply no new good Battletech and Shadowrun titles out. When was the last game in the Shadowrun universe which was not a braindead multiplayer shooter before Shadowrun Returns? And Battletech? Iirc the online game is pretty mediocre and has a lot of flaws which is why I never tried it.

Cael

Arcane
HBS has the good fortune that there are simply no new good Battletech and Shadowrun titles out. When was the last game in the Shadowrun universe which was not a braindead multiplayer shooter before Shadowrun Returns? And Battletech? Iirc the online game is pretty mediocre and has a lot of flaws which is why I never tried it.
I still play MW4 and MW2 and both MechCommanders.

I think the last good Shadowrun game was this one. Good being relative.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
The codex has no standards lmfao, otherwise you wouldnt see threads on the witcher 3 or pillars of eternity

Or it's because they're RPG's and they've been released so they warrant threads?

You can find threads on crap like metalheart and restricted area, stuff that's hardly playable and worse then any mainstream crap in the last few years. Don't be so butthurt no one took your shitty bait thread seriously and everyone thinks you're a retard.

fyi I never played witcher 3 and didn't like POE 1 so won't be playing 2, but I don't have a cry about being discussing them.

Sinatar

Arbiter
People are still seriously discussing an April Fools Day joke 6 weeks later.

Jesus tapdancing christ.

Orbito Sol

Literate
"The original Fallout games were Isometric turn-based RPGs with a focus on open-ended exploration, quests with multiple solutions and a sense of pitch black humor."

HAHAHAHAHA Yes I played Fo1 and 2 to "explore". Narrative? What's that? Quests with 1-dimensional choices are enough for me.

Squid

Arbiter
Actually, exploration is one of Fallout's many talents. F1 was really good at building an atmosphere of danger/excitement when exploring the world map.

Yeah, Fallout 1 would be the best in that regard, or at least in my opinion. The whole theme of that game seemed to resonate really well within itself too. As much as I love Fallout 2 and New Vegas, 1 had something special about it. It felt surreal and eerie throughout, even when the setting was very different from the earlier locations, it blended well.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
To be honest the very best thing for Fallout 3 IS the exploration and one key factor on that is that while the writers and quest designers are a bunch of monkeys on meth the actual designers and art teams pretty much knew what they were doing with pleasantly good designed dungeons and buildings.
Places like the Dunwhich Building, Stateman Hotel, the interconnected Metro system and the downtown museums are very well designed and memorable areas

Codex Year of the Donut
Honestly forgot how bad FO3 and NV run. Been replaying NV and I can't believe I managed to play this years ago.

Fucking gamebryo.

Shoggot

Novice
When FO3 came out, I was seventeen years old. Even back then I was passionate Fallout fan, loving 1 and 2 ferociously. I wasn't exactly thrilled for FO3 but was kinda looking forward for release, because at least something will happen. At first gameplay I was hooked. It wasn't perfect game, but I liked it. Blinded with the props I known, I was pleased. But every other playthrough showed how flawed it is.

I remember the point when I was finishing the Tenpenny Tower quest for the third time when "this is fucking dumb" occured to me. Since then, I saw how everything was fundamentally flawed in the means of storytelling, quest design et cetera. Can't go back. Fallout brand aside, FO3 has a bad storytelling and bad quest design. Ende. Finito. Nothing can change that. And if RPG fails in this regard (not thinking about flawed game mechanics also), it fails for me even as a game.

Squid

Arbiter
I started with 3, played New Vegas and very much so preferred NV. I wasn't into RPGs for a long time actually. I had never been introduced to them but after a few of Bethesda's titles and then we got New Vegas I was like, okay so RPGs can be even better, what am I missing out there?

Either way, I don't absolutely hate Fallout 3 though there is a lot of things I objectively and subjectively dislike, if it were a middle shelf game without the name Fallout, I'd still would have played it a few times and liked it to this day. I can't see Fallout 3, 4, and 76 as the same franchise that has Fallout 1, 2, and New Vegas. They're different games, they aren't the RPG style games I'm looking for. If I buy a new Fallout game, I'll regard it as if it were something else because at this point it feels like it is. And not to mention that a major theme seen in New Vegas was letting go of the past, it was also probably a nod to the fans that we may never get another Fallout like this again and it's time to let go.

Fucking gamebryo.
Yeah, they don't run well or look pretty but AFAIK it helps them make open worlds that you can interact with so many tiny, pointless things.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I honestly dont think that gamebryo is that bad as some players claim that it almost makes things unplayable; using stutter remover mod and anti crash (as well as the unofficial patches) at least NV run almost flawlessly for me, F3 is still unstable and has at least 1 crash per gaming session
I also use some INI tweaks and fixes and for the most part I think it is ok, definetly played games with worse systems so maybe it is not so bad for me

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Finally we have definitive proof that Fallout 3 is a great game, in fact possibly the best Fallout game?

Watch and learn for a glorious two hours!

PS: I gave up after 15 minutes but its worth watching the start, as you can find out why F3 actually has better C&C than 1 and 2!!

Squid

Arbiter
Finally we have definitive proof that Fallout 3 is a great game, in fact possibly the best Fallout game?

Watch and learn for a glorious two hours!

PS: I gave up after 15 minutes but its worth watching the start, as you can find out why F3 actually has better C&C than 1 and 2!!

I actually watched all of that a few months ago. Not really worth the watch from what I remember. Might listen to it again on my next long drive and see what I think of it again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom