Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dying Light 2 Stay Human - zombie survival with choice & consequence

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Why is this game not in General RPG while Fallout shit in it?

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I talked to producer Tymon Smektala back in 2015 about the future of Dying Light and stuffs. He said if this franchise gained success and went on to have more than 1 installment, then each installment has to elevate from the predecessor, specifically a new Dying Light game has to have some kinds of "flagship feature" because they don't want to keep making "parkour zombie slashing in urban city" over and over again.

3 years later, here we are. The fact that a Polish studio let a legendary American writer helm their next AAA project is god damn mind boggling, but also makes so much sense. What an unlikely but welcoming pair.

Ash

Arcane
Dying Light was like a Ubisoft open world action game and I always thought most of those games could have been way better if they were RPGs. Techland thought the same it seems.

Like, but not quite. It was leagues above garbage like Assassin's Creed. Ultimately it was only an 8/10 or so and I'm praying for less mainstream design/more and better RPG elements/MCA making the story not-shit (but not impeding on the gameplay either)/better challenge together can make this a 9, despite being yet another zombies game.

Feels weird to be a little excited for a modern AAA game. Very weird.

Paul_cz

Arcane
This was surprise of the conference. I expected to see DL, but I did NOT expect Chris Avellone of all people, presenting it.

But this is very good news. DL1 is my favourite zombie game ever, but if it had one flaw, it was the ho-hum storyline. Hopefully Avellone will spice this one up. Including choices and consequences in a zombie game like this is pretty cool.

Perkel

Arcane
Infinitron
Why you retardoed thread ?

I mean:
Dying light 1 had progression mechanics, leveling, equipment, skills, sidequests.
Dying light 2 adds non linear story, dialogs, C&C

I mean if this isn't RPG then 90% of games in that part of forum aren't RPGs.
Same with AC:Oddysey.

They will not be probably greatest RPGs but still RPGs.

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
I'm mostly interested in the factions and how they'll play out against one another (those scenes with NPCs being hanged or others being shot by the "Peacekeepers" already awaken interest). I didn't play Dying Light yet, so I don't know if there were factions as such in that game, but in their previous game Dead Island it was mostly questgivers telling you to go get something or go do stuff, and basically you had to fight teh various zombies to get there. A big part of "Zombie drama" is often different groups of survivors, often holding different ideals and having different goals playing out against one another and it looks like this game is trying to deliver there e.g. think NCR vs. Caesar's Legion or the retardo factions in The Walking Dead, but hopefully well written.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Hmmm, I have Dying Light on my steam account that I bought at bargain bin price, never bothered into playing it, that is how I care about it. If Avellone can run wild on it, we could have a pretty cool post apocalyptic game with zombies, I'm fucking bored of zombies but if the game is more than a hack and slash zombie game but it is a big transformation like it was from Fallout 3 to New Vegas with a very well crafted and cool world, we could get something really nice.

I liked they didn't go to the usual zombie game cliche and actually shown up factions and choices involving the survivors. Dying Light had some really cool ideas, the idea of the nights being fucking deadly and so fucking overwhelming that even your upgraded character couldn't take on the nasty zombies and the absolute horde of weaker zombies.

Imagine a quest where you actually have to explore an skyscrapper at night with the deadly zombies giving chase but this time with well written NPCs and companions, choice and consequence on a well crafted world? Of course, I could be too optimistic, Dying light 1 ended with a fucking QTE fight against some generic thug and had an absolute bellow average story from what I saw on youtube and Avellone won't write this game alone, so we can't be sure of the end quality but he could be a good influence and actually improve the writing team writing quality.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I'd imagine the reason they brought him wasn't as much the writing as to help with non-linear structure, open ended quest design, interplay between factions, you know, all the things they are touting as important features. At least I hope so, it might end up being another game where they're just name-whoring him for PR, he's certainly done a lot of those in last few years.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Hmmm, I have Dying Light on my steam account that I bought at bargain bin price, never bothered into playing it, that is how I care about it. If Avellone can run wild on it, we could have a pretty cool post apocalyptic game with zombies, I'm fucking bored of zombies but if the game is more than a hack and slash zombie game but it is a big transformation like it was from Fallout 3 to New Vegas with a very well crafted and cool world, we could get something really nice.

I liked they didn't go to the usual zombie game cliche and actually shown up factions and choices involving the survivors. Dying Light had some really cool ideas, the idea of the nights being fucking deadly and so fucking overwhelming that even your upgraded character couldn't take on the nasty zombies and the absolute horde of weaker zombies.

Imagine a quest where you actually have to explore an skyscrapper at night with the deadly zombies giving chase but this time with well written NPCs and companions, choice and consequence on a well crafted world? Of course, I could be too optimistic, Dying light 1 ended with a fucking QTE fight against some generic thug and had an absolute bellow average story from what I saw on youtube and Avellone won't write this game alone, so we can't be sure of the end quality but he could be a good influence and actually improve the writing team writing quality.

You should give it a chance. Sure it may not be the best written game ever, but atmosphere and gameplay are stellar, worldbuilding is impressive, and its second half actually does have some very cool sidequests.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Techland levelled up. Even the visual design looks decent, like it was created by a completely different studio.

Dexter

Arcane
Techland levelled up. Even the visual design looks decent, like it was created by a completely different studio.
It kind of reminds me of when Arkane was still good and hadn't turned into shit yet. Specifically what they showed about The Crossing with its different factions and parkour stabbing and shooting, before they scrapped the project:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I remember many years ago Techland was a shitty low-tier company making some crappy shooters. Nice to see them upping their game in recent years.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
THe only game that caught my interest in e3 apart from bethesda games

C&C with MCA?, sign me up

DL1 was OK, but by the time I got to the 2nd major area I figured I'd seen it all and I had an intense desire to murder every named character who spoke a line of dialog to me. Plus the 2nd area kind of sucks and guns sucked for both enemies and the player. If DL2 can fix this it'll be pretty neat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom