Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Darth Canoli

Arcane
What a disappointment... I came here to feast on the rage over a xbox release announcement and there's nothing at all. Even their Facebook page has more, even if it's mostly just one very vocal asshole. Doesn't feel like the Codex at all here... :P

Fu****g mo**ons, a Xbox release, what a waste of time ! they should be crucified !

Happy to oblige ;-)

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
What a disappointment... I came here to feast on the rage over a xbox release announcement and there's nothing at all. Even their Facebook page has more, even if it's mostly just one very vocal asshole. Doesn't feel like the Codex at all here... :P
We kinda suspect this kind of things nowadays so no suprise there.
Next step is dumbing down for console (both gameplay and UI wise)

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well they did say multiple times they would love do to a console release if they could afford it. I guess M$ pitched in for that :)

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
We kinda suspect this kind of things nowadays so no suprise there.
Next step is dumbing down for console (both gameplay and UI wise)
Correct term is "streamlined user experience for today's markets." I think.

PanteraNera

Arcane
Okay some snippets from discord:
  • there was a bigger outburst of worries that PP will not be PC-centric or to much stream-lined for a console release from different persons
  • UnstableVoltage stated that development will be simultaneously, he also said that it is not an "exclusive deal" with MS (so they might also port it to other consoles), he also stated that the Mac/Linux build would probably take more coding work than porting it for X-Box
  • The Briefing 5 (focused on Synedrion) will be released soon-ish (probably this week)

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
Consoles are like King Midas, except everything they touch turns into shit.

I have one but important question: who do think will play this on consoles? All they care about nowadays is "cinematic experience".
Valkyria Chronicles was the last attempt to revitalize the tactical genre on consoles and it failed miserably (despite being a great game), so VC2 and VC3 were made for portables.
XCOM tried too and sold just as bad, so XCOM2 was timed PC-exclusive.
We never heard about any success of the newest turn-based games on consoles either.
So..

giphy.gif

ArchAngel

Arcane
Consoles are like King Midas, except everything they touch turns into shit.

I have one but important question: who do think will play this on consoles? All they care about nowadays is "cinematic experience".
Valkyria Chronicles was the last attempt to revitalize the tactical genre on consoles and it failed miserably (despite being a great game), so VC2 and VC3 were made for portables.
XCOM tried too and sold just as bad, so XCOM2 was timed PC-exclusive.
We never heard about any success of the newest turn-based games on consoles either.
So..

giphy.gif
Console crowd just lacks necessary brainpower to do more than hold down one button to shoot at enemies in their shooter games and it is even funnier because all those game have a certain level of autoaim. For proof just watch the Gears Tactics E3 presentation. Crowd there didn't say one thing during it but as soon as they present next Gears shooter they all go YEAAAAAA. Fucking brainless morons, all of them.

lightbane

Arcane
Now I understand why they changed the formerly awesome armors to generic sci-fi models: The console crowd is scared of new things and that's why they had to make everything look same-y.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Julian Gollop said:
The bottom end of the table reveals that you clearly want the focus to be on a PC based, single player experience. It would definitely be wise of us to place our limited resources in this direction.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
What is the basis for your argument? We're still making the same game that we always were. Microsoft has now provided us with the resources to develop the game for the XBox alongside the PC/Mac version. Nothing in the PC version is changing.
Please stop. We all know where this is heading.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Nice.

So now that Gollop has his pockets full of Microsoft dorra and they will be obviously getting rich from the console crowd, I can shed my last doubts and back Xenonauts 2's kickstarter instead.

luinthoron

Learned
Mario + Rabbids is according to its Wikipedia page the best-selling game on the Switch not published by Nintendo.

To make a different game.
*shrugs* They always said they'd want to port this to consoles if they had the resources, why would you assume it would suddenly be a different game now.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
*shrugs* They always said they'd want to port this to consoles if they had the resources, why would you assume it would suddenly be a different game now.

UnstableVoltage said:
With Phoenix Point, we sent out a survey, and console versions came back very low on the list. While more strategy games are coming to console (probably XCOM to thank for that), they have been primarily a PC focused genre. We are currently focusing on the PC product to ensure delivery of the best possible version.

We always intended to release on Windows, Linux and Mac with no consideration to consoles. That is not to say a console port couldn't happen in the future, but it would very much depend on the success of the game and the demand for a console version. The issue with console ports is the additional expense. While current gen consoles run on pretty much the same architecture as PCs, there's still a lot of work to be done to port them (especially to fit within hardware limitations of the consoles). Even if done in-house, that's still development time to pay for. Additionally, there can be additional licencing and certification costs to release on console platforms. So as you can see, a lot has to be taken into consideration to determine if a console release is viable.

xmd1997

Educated

UnstableVoltage said:
With Phoenix Point, we sent out a survey, and console versions came back very low on the list. While more strategy games are coming to console (probably XCOM to thank for that), they have been primarily a PC focused genre. We are currently focusing on the PC product to ensure delivery of the best possible version.

We always intended to release on Windows, Linux and Mac with no consideration to consoles. That is not to say a console port couldn't happen in the future, but it would very much depend on the success of the game and the demand for a console version. The issue with console ports is the additional expense. While current gen consoles run on pretty much the same architecture as PCs, there's still a lot of work to be done to port them (especially to fit within hardware limitations of the consoles). Even if done in-house, that's still development time to pay for. Additionally, there can be additional licencing and certification costs to release on console platforms. So as you can see, a lot has to be taken into consideration to determine if a console release is viable.
"Is there going to be console version?"
"I wish we could do a console version. This is in the hands of the gods at the moment. Funding permitting, we would like to do it. At the moment we’re only working on PC/Mac/Linux versions." -Julian Gallop, Most recent Q&A back in February.

"We have no plans as yet for a console version - it depends very much on the funding (and it doesn't mean dumbing anything down either)."-Julian Gallop, Reddit Q&A last year in may

https://phoenixpoint.info/blog/2018/2/5/facebook-live-qa-2-terror-from-the-deep
https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoi...m_the_designer_of_xcom_and_phoenix_point_ask/

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
They have so much dollars that they reached the last places in that "fanbase priority list" where the console port was situated. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom