Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Jump Force - Anime Goes to America

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

Jokzore

Arbiter
The way the trailer was going I though it was gonna be a Prototype-style open-world thing where you get to level the environment with your anime buddies.

Sadly it's just another crossover fighting game with that godawful rotating camera. Does anyone actually like that? It's so disorienting and annoying.

I was thinking it'd be some open world thing at first too. Which seemed like a weird move to me, as they're also doing a open world One Piece game coming.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
And they said my fan-fiction would never come true. Who's laughing now.

Who would win the guy that can turn a planet into an asteroid field with a flick of his fingers, or the guy who can turn into a log when you punch him?
Place your bets bois!

lightbane

Arcane
Someone watched Avengers Infinity, played Injustice, and thought to do better than both.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
And they said my fan-fiction would never come true. Who's laughing now.

Who would win the guy that can turn a planet into an asteroid field with a flick of his fingers, or the guy who can turn into a log when you punch him?
Place your bets bois!
You're super late on this turn.

Nirvash

Liturgist
This is nothing new, they already did 2 jump smash bros clones on 2ds:

And a normal fighter stuff for play3-4-vita

The cg really look like crap, just go full anime cel shading...

Jacob

Patron
Shonen Jump crossovers are probably as old as Dragon Ball, but the American setting as shown in the trailer is what picked my interest on this one (Not in a good way though, I only wanted to see how cringey it will go).

Shonen Jump crossovers are probably as old as Dragon Ball, but the American setting as shown in the trailer is what picked my interest on this one (Not in a good way though, I only wanted to see how cringey it will go).

The whole thing is going to be locations like that, this is meant to be taking place on our reality. Seems somehow Jump characters were brought into the real world, which is probably why it looks like this. They said something about another stage being the Matterhorn in the Alps. So it's all real world locations.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
when some developers are able to produce some amazing shaders like in FighterZ why don't the others try to up their game. The art is so uninspired

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Because superb art style like that doesn't come cheap, and this isn't a animated movie so there are more important aspects to tackle like gameplay.

Jacob

Patron
Then again he's not wrong, Ichigo really look like some generic JRPG character there.

Max Edge

When I read title, I thought first is it material about children driven to suicide by anime.

Vorark

Erudite
I was amused by the fact Light (Death Note) was in, imagining how the game would translate his "skills" into a fighting style. Turns out he's just a npc. :roll:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
ArcSys only has a little over half the employees as the studio behind this has, and they were split between multiple concurrent projects (most notably BlazBlue series) when they made Xrd. Or a more upcoming example is their Kill La Kill game.

The key thing is really just the effort and vision for making such graphics. One example of this that shows the fundamentally different approach that gave such results with Xrd was that ArcSys graphics team from the onset decided to use 24 frames per second animation because that's how you get it to look like it was animated instead of doing some 60fps cookiecutter shit. Then you do shadows custom rather than by simply using an algorhytm, the list goes on, point is you need to have a clear idea of WHAT you want to have show on the screen if you're creating impressive artstyle instead of simply going for highest polycount and fps you can.

The same principle applies in FighterZ (and Kill La Kill) which is one reason why it's probably the best looking game ever made (though Baiken's intro and Instant Kill from Rev2 are a pretty serious contender for that instead too).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Absolutely no one likes this type of arena fighter. Fighting-game fans don't like it, and non-fans of FGs don't like it. The only people who will buy this game is because of the licenses it uses...

I hate seeing good licenses go to waste. All that said pretty sick to see Gon and Adult Gon in action! (Though I will never play this).

EDIT: For anyone wondering why specifically it's because of the rotating camera; that is why these type of fighters can't be deep.

If you still can't wrap your head around why that makes os much of a difference look at it like this: for the same reasons third-person shooters will never be able to challenge first-person shooters in terms of "professional competitive e-Gaming". The third-person camera simply doesn't allow the same degree of depth in terms of human-vs-human.

What aren't you getting Jacob? The trailer ends with big bold font saying "A NEW HERO RISES", after which it cuts to a shot of a character from behind that doesn't look like any Jump character I can think of. They've got a straw hat but that ain't Luffy. Not unless you can give Luffy different hair anyways. My guess would be it's a custom character, that the game lets you create your own character. Maybe for whatever the story mode is? I don't know, I haven't really been following this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom