Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Cael

Arcane
I liked Jedi Morgan Freeman and the sheer camp of the Sith Planet. :M

Plus The Sith Code. Nothing can take that away from him.
Morgan Freeman used to be cool and good. Recently, he seems to have gone more than a bit senile, buying into SJW and greenie shit, which is a big shame :(

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Could somebody please just briefly summarize what was great about dying light, and why it isnt regarded in a higher status than it is? because honestly I never heard much talk about this game.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Could somebody please just briefly summarize what was great about dying light, and why it isnt regarded in a higher status than it is? because honestly I never heard much talk about this game.

It had good momentum; properly conveyed a parkour like experience but with zombies and quests and shit. It was ok.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I really liked Dying Light, so this thing having MCA's involvement seems pretty cool and the videos available so far look very promising.
I really liked "Dying of the Light", which is a great sci-fi novel, so this MCA's involvement seemed pretty cool for a few seconds.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

It had good momentum; properly conveyed a parkour like experience but with zombies and quests and shit. It was ok.
this.

The core gameplay loop is solid, with some areas that intergrates verticality and exploration well.

The padding is eh. Characters are immemorable, the activity you do are generally insubstantial, repetitive crap.

Now if avellone really have free reign of the direction, he could fill the meat with actual substance that makes the skeleton mechanics shines.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
How bad can it be guys?
Better than Fallout 4,worst than Fallout 3 ?!

With an actual capable writer? Better than both. Dying Light was quite good action game with talent trees, just horrible fucking dialogue most of the game that made me skip most of the dialogue. If them Poles have actually learned from their mistakes with the 1st game, it should be worth getting at some point.
DL checked all the negative options for me,respawning enemies,zombies,breakable weapons,arabs,survival,jumping like a monkey and a few others. Never even touch it,don't know if mca will make touch the second. Still is a lacklustre franchise,it is a mishmash of popular things from 10 years ago.

Zakhad

Savant
Dying light was fun despite one of the most godawful, railroaded stories I've ever encountered. By the end, I was finishing the missions powered by nothing but my hate for the narrative design choices.

So this move has real potential.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
grtogQv.png

Chad Avellone

You can't be called a man if you don't look like a stuffed sausage at least once in your life, so I respect Avellone going full Tony Soprano in fashion style and gut supremacy:salute:

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Going by comments Codex usually makes whenever "Zombie" comes up, I imagine I'm probably the only person happy to see Chris attached to this. Though I'd prefer if it had been Dead State 2 (because=turn-based) and him working with Mitsoda again, this is nice.

I just started watching The Wire for the first time because of Chris' praise and definitely get why he'd like to have a go with it as a setting. Fairfax have you or someone else compiled what he has said about his hypothetical The Wire RPG over the years?

Fairfax

Arcane
Going by comments Codex usually makes whenever "Zombie" comes up, I imagine I'm probably the only person happy to see Chris attached to this. Though I'd prefer if it had been Dead State 2 (because=turn-based) and him working with Mitsoda again, this is nice.

I just started watching The Wire for the first time because of Chris' praise and definitely get why he'd like to have a go with it as a setting. Fairfax have you or someone else compiled what he has said about his hypothetical The Wire RPG over the years?
Here:

Speaking of genres outside of fantasy, I read in an interview that you would love to work on an RPG based on the The Wire, the HBO drama.

Oh yeah. Normally, as a designer, when I'm walking by a parking structure, I immediately start imagining how a run and gun battle would play out. Or you're watching Rick and Morty and you're trying to break down all their stats and abilities. With The Wire, it was the same way. It's a slow burning investigation, but here's everything each party member brings to the investigation. McNulty, for example, even brings his disadvantages to the investigation. He's a huge womanizer, but then that allows him to identify with other womanizers they're tracking and go, "I know what that guy's thinking right now. I know what his agenda is. I know what he's probably going to do." That, strangely enough, contributes to the investigation. I'm like, "Wow, that is some good role-playing background information." I love The Wire. It's a fantastic show.

I'd love to work on Dr. Who or The Wire, which are two franchises that would be really cool. I think Dr. Who would be pretty simple because I'd think you'd only have a few skills. You'd have the ability to run fast, your knowledge of science, and then just your sonic screwdriver skill, and you'd probably be alright.

If you set up The Wire game, which would basically just be one season of The Wire, you'd present one social underlying challenge that you would be monitoring from time to time. I think the third season, with the New Hamsterdam story-line, that entire sequence where each of the police chiefs in charge of a division would go and report to the police department about how well the crime stats were doing in their areas, I felt would be one sort of overlying macro game. But then you would have your district, where you are solving a series of crimes with investigations, piecing together contacts you'd need, and building up trust and influence. These are all things we have done in previous RPGs, but doing them in the context of The Wire, and them doing them in the context of a real-world social dilemma, that you would have different perspectives on, and different characters and companions that could comment on that, like your squad or team, could present different viewpoints, and how to approach this particular social angle. I thought that would just be a fun game to develop, and I think it would be really intriguing one for players to play.

AVC: You once said that a property you’d love to turn into a game is The Wire. And that’s a very pragmatic show. The decisions people make are rarely about doing the right thing. It’s more about risk, and cowardice.

CA: Do you put your ass on the line? And if you put your ass on the line, they show you the consequences of what happens, and they’re horrible. You understand exactly why the system is the way it is, and it just makes you sad.

AVC: It would be an interesting premise for a game.

CA: Well, you’d have a certain level of influence points, to trade for favors … I guess what fascinated me about The Wire was the slow, steady accumulation of police work to achieve a desired goal. And even once you achieve the goal, the amount of effort it takes to make that goal stick, if you can make that happen. But the way they did it was paced so well that I think you could actually do a game, just doing that slow, steady process of evidence accumulation, whether through the social-networking aspect, putting the leads out, having the surveillance teams positioned in certain areas. You only have x number of resources, and what will you do to get more resources to cover other areas?

AVC: Yeah. You lost the camera. What do you do now?

CA: Yeah, that’s some serious shit! And then the psychology of the guys comes into play. You don’t want McNulty anywhere near a bar during certain surveillance scenes, because you know what’s going to happen. They each have their own specific game mechanic disadvantages. You don’t want the druggie guy constantly picking up drugs or having loose cash available, because if he has that stuff, he’s bailing after the mission to buy more drugs. Juggling stuff like that seemed really interesting.

2house2fly

Magister
CHRIS

JUST WORK ON AN RPG AS THE LEAD WRITER

JUST WRITE THE MAIN STORY AND DO THE LORE

DO THAT FOR ONE RPG

AND THEN WORK ON ZOMBIE GAMES AND FALLOUT 76 ALL YOU WANT

ONE RPG THATS ALL I ASK

NOT DYING LIGHT TWOOOOOOOOO

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
CHRIS

DO THAT FOR ONE RPG

ONE RPG THATS ALL I ASK

If it has choices and consequences, it's a role playing game by Avellonian standards.

Fairfax

Arcane
CHRIS

DO THAT FOR ONE RPG

ONE RPG THATS ALL I ASK

If it has choices and consequences, it's a role playing game by Avellonian standards.
That alone doesn't seem to be enough, though:

Yep. Possibly more than one.

Before you get too deep into speculating, neither is an RPG, don't want to set false expectations only to dash them.

(I am working on other RPGs than Pathfinder, though, but I don't think they'll be announced at E3.)

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
You know, I'm still genuinely shocked that Fergus treated Chris that way despite them being in business together for decades.
So I guess all your bosses were literally Machiavelli and Mother Therese, not a single one of them was a regular dumbfuck, huh. Lucky man.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
You know, I'm still genuinely shocked that Fergus treated Chris that way despite them being in business together for decades.
So I guess all your bosses were literally Machiavelli and Mother Therese, not a single one of them was a regular dumbfuck, huh. Lucky man.

No, but the fact that Fergus continually attempted to essentially bully and threaten everyone behind the scenes despite being 'friends' with them all shocks me.

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign

I worked for multinationals for around 20 years and would never go back to one. Sometimes you go in day after day and don't always know if something is greener on the other side by leaving. You could go to a company that has a culture more toxic than the one you came from. I've been asked by multinationals to work for them (including the last company that I was at for 10 years) but no amount of money could get me back to that sort of environment. Fortunately I landed in a small company with amazing people and it's pretty much set me for life.

Xeon

Augur
Only thing strange for me is I think I read MCA being one of the owners from the start, so I would have thought he would have had the same voice power or something as the rest. Unless he was a doormat at start, things wouldn't have escalated too much. He stayed with them for 10+ years when he could have quit and joined any company he probably wanted at any time, I don't get that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom