Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

E3 2018 - Official Codex Thread - June 9th to 14th - Press Conferences, Trailers and Interviews

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Am I alone to have detected certain apathy during all those conferences? As if a change in zeitgeist was in the air. Many of the announcements were very solid and normally would've generated huge buzz but now most people looked just bored and indifferent.

Maybe it's because most of the titles are just rehashes, with rehashed engines (Fallout in the Bethesda engine, Gears of War looking like Gears of War again, ditto for Dying Light 2 or Just Cause 4) and even the new IPs look tired (Sekiro with the Dark Souls 3 engine). I guess devs aren't willing to dump sweat and blood into making radically new technologies for a dying console gen anymore. And people seem tired of the same old engines and the same old look.

I know I am.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Am I alone to have detected certain apathy during all those conferences? As if a change in zeitgeist was in the air. Many of the announcements were very solid and normally would've generated huge buzz but now most people looked just bored and indifferent.

Maybe it's because most of the titles are just rehashes, with rehashed engines (Fallout in the Bethesda engine, Gears of War looking like Gears of War again, ditto for Dying Light 2 or Just Cause 4) and even the new IPs look tired (Sekiro with the Dark Souls 3 engine). I guess devs aren't willing to dump sweat and blood into making radically new technologies for a dying console gen anymore. And people seem tired of the same old engines and the same old look.

I know I am.
You are right that developers don't put in too much effort into these games, but I don't see that apathy from gamers and press. As I see it everybody is jizzing their pants the same way they always do during E3.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
DfZ3_XVXcAAFQkI.jpg:large

RapineDel

Augur

I know I am.

Wishful thinking. Go to reddit/resetera and most of them will tell you we're in a gaming golden age.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
My impressions so far:

* EA - Boring af, good thing it was the first presentation and thus easier to be skipped. C&C on mobile is blasphemy and heresy. Should have killed the series instead.

* Xbone - Surprisingly good, many interesting titles. Cyberpunk 2077 looks great, Fallout 76 might actually turn out to be good. Still don't expect Halo or Gears of War to ever make any kind of a comeback. Someone tell Microsoft "exclusive" doesn't mean console+pc.

* Bethesda - Pretty good, finally an announcement for TES6. But we don't need yet another digital card game (or do we?).

Fuck off faggot.

Unwanted

†††

Patron

I know I am.
we're just getting old. at least I don't give a fuck so I can burst into laughter watching the conferences and the meltdowns

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I know I am.

Wishful thinking. Go to reddit/resetera and most of them will tell you we're in a gaming golden age.
Yeah,but non of them buys games. A lot of game have flopped last two years,even some AAA games. There was a lot og apathy in the crowd.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Didn't the guys at the Beth conference claim "millions of you beat the shit out of nazis in TNC"?

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity

I know I am.

I think you're right and it's mainly due to 2 things;

- contrary to how it used to be almost everyone now announces their game before E3 - to build a bit of hype and expectations for the game leading up to E3. So there were no real - big surprises. The cool games have all been known - in some cases for quite some time.
- we are in the last year off this console cycle - next year the next playstation and xbox should normally be announced. The hype for this generation of games has leveled out somewhat. I think the end of this console cycle also contributes to no really big games being announced yet, or if they are announced (like Starfield) it's basically only letting people know that something is in development, no trailer or anything. These are saved up for next year.

Also, I expect some more hype for Sony's and Nintendo's conferences, just because there are more good exclusives with gameplay to show (Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, Spiderman etc.). But still excitement will return again for the next generation I think.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
- we are in the last year off this console cycle - next year the next playstation and xbox should normally be announced. The hype for this generation of games has leveled out somewhat. I think the end of this console cycle also contributes to no really big games being announced yet, or if they are announced (like Starfield) it's basically only letting people know that something is in development, no trailer or anything. These are saved up for next year.

Didn't Todd explicitly say that Starfield is "next gen" - which of course makes TES6 next gen too. PS3 era got two TES games, PS4 era none?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

They could've just name it the infinitely better 'Hell on Earth'.

Anyway this was the only decent game Betheseda showed. I know most people here hate the 2016 reboot for the fact it carries the DOOM name, but it was a fine shooter.

Still doesn't change the fact Betheseda's conference felt like Todd took shit down our throats and asked money for it. Maybe it was the point, him taking revenge on everyone who called him a midget and hack over the years.

Last edited:
I don't particulary care for what they showed in the Microsoft conference but what I really like is HOW they showed it, it was videogame trailer after videogame trailer after videogame trailer with little talking.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I don't particulary care for what they showed in the Microsoft conference but what I really like is HOW they showed it, it was videogame trailer after videogame trailer after videogame trailer with little talking.
I loved how they didn't take time to talk about every little shit but just showed one after another, I didn't dare to go bathroom for entire hour. But I assume it was beceause they hadn't got enough time to talk.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
* Xbone - Surprisingly good, many interesting titles. Cyberpunk 2077 looks great, Fallout 76 might actually turn out to be good. Still don't expect Halo or Gears of War to ever make any kind of a comeback. Someone tell Microsoft "exclusive" doesn't mean console+pc.

Microsoft so far had the best presentation.

McPlusle

Savant
Regardless of his work I think Todd's stage presence gives a genuine vibe and some of his jokes yesterday made me smile. "I've read on the internet that our games have had a few bugs" and the "sometimes you just need a spare hand" stuff were
nice.png
, he seems like an actual human being and somewhat likeable.
Yeah, I've gotta hand it to him: he may be a fucking liar and the lead behind numerous shitty games, but at least he can take a joke.

Ocelot

Learned

Agreed but game pass is going to suck ass. Who is going to pay to rent Microsoft's library?

My impressions so far:

* EA - Boring af, good thing it was the first presentation and thus easier to be skipped. C&C on mobile is blasphemy and heresy. Should have killed the series instead.

* Bethesda - Pretty good, finally an announcement for TES6. But we don't need yet another digital card game (or do we?).

Fuck off faggot.

Nope. Deal with it.

Every new year Bethesda rapes something that I once enjoyed

Bunch of fucking necrophiliacs and their conference fucking sucked, only good thing was Andrew WK

RapineDel

Augur

I know I am.

Yeah,but non of them buys games. A lot of game have flopped last two years,even some AAA games. There was a lot og apathy in the crowd.

In terms of flops this is kind of true. I think what happened is the PS3/360 era saw a bigger demand for single player games in the mainstream which is why games like Shock did so well, however most of those people aren't in college/school anymore, are working full time and gaming was never their biggest hobby anyway so they likely play the odd multiplayer titles. The kid's who've replaced them in that age group have no interest or patience for single player games, they want instant gratification which is why Fortnite and the like are so popular.

None of these "games as a service" titles necessarily sell more copies then decent performing single player titles, they just have more ways to get the same people spending more money while putting in less effort. This won't last however as long term people are going to stick with one or two games and the AAA GaaS titles that flop (potentially Anthem) despite big investments will never have any long term steady sales because they rely on an active player base to even exist. Once a few of the dead ones start having servers switched off it may cause some reluctance for anyone to spend more on micro-transactions also.

This craze has a few more years to go however and it's hard to say where the AAA industry goes from there, hopefully there's a bit of a middle ground between indie and current AAA where publishers stop going "all in" and make games for specific audiences with potential long term sales, probably wishful thinking.

Tehdagah

Arcane

I know I am.

In terms of flops this is kind of true. I think what happened is the PS3/360 era saw a bigger demand for single player games in the mainstream which is why games like Shock did so well, however most of those people aren't in college/school anymore, are working full time and gaming was never their biggest hobby anyway so they likely play the odd multiplayer titles. The kid's who've replaced them in that age group have no interest or patience for single player games, they want instant gratification which is why Fortnite and the like are so popular.

None of these "games as a service" titles necessarily sell more copies then decent performing single player titles, they just have more ways to get the same people spending more money while putting in less effort. This won't last however as long term people are going to stick with one or two games and the AAA GaaS titles that flop (potentially Anthem) despite big investments will never have any long term steady sales because they rely on an active player base to even exist. Once a few of the dead ones start having servers switched off it may cause some reluctance for anyone to spend more on micro-transactions also.

This craze has a few more years to go however and it's hard to say where the AAA industry goes from there, hopefully there's a bit of a middle ground between indie and current AAA where publishers stop going "all in" and make games for specific audiences with potential long term sales, probably wishful thinking.
The PS3/X360 era increased the demand of online multiplayer games.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I know I am.

Well there always be a place for single player games,a lot of people simply don't care social interactions online. I am not talking about generations all that jazz,there are simply people. I predict that we are in for ruff economical depression in the next decade or two. Doubt that the whaling will survive that long thou. A lot of those kind of players play no more than two or three games like this. All of the games in those genres are very repetitive and get boring with every new iteration. While big companies just pump in money expecting returns. Anyway too mane publishers and popamole games,not enough market for all of them. Just look at cliffyB and how it burned. For bigger companies it will take more time but they will burn out in the end,at least some of them. Just look at atari and how it crumbled in a year.

RapineDel

Augur

I know I am.

The PS3/X360 era increased the demand of online multiplayer games.

This is true but I think that's mostly because online games weren't really feasible on consoles until then. There will always be a demand for online titles but long term people only want to invest in one or two games that they trust will always have a player base and the devs will invest in and not just jump to their sequel. It's why WoW has always done well where most MMOs have failed and it will be no different with these GaaS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom