Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Microsoft E3 2018 Press Conference: Cyberpunk 2077 Re-Announced

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
No, the trailer does not look like Cyberpunk 2020, even as per Pondsmith's vision.

i-cyberpunk-2020.jpg

Mark Richard

Arcane
Anyway, great trailer. Went against expectations and actually showed different type of cyberpunk, one that isn't all dark and rainy and night and blade runner. I applaud them for that even if morons are gonna complain about it. Obviously that dark stuff is there too, showing that daylight exists does not mean night time doesn't.
Being a long-time Judge Dread fan I enjoyed it too. Though it's worth remembering that trailers may not accurately represent the tone of the full game. At all. The Witcher 3 had a generic grimdark trailer that ended up being referenced and mocked in the final product. Dragon Age: Origins had a trailer which was just Marilyn Manson playing over the battle of Ostagar.

It seems they are trying to marry Witcher 3 level story telling with custom protagonist and more freedom, which would be fantastic. I remember how many people were sceptical that they could take writing and quest quality from TW2 and put it into open world, but TW3 did it and even improved upon it for the most part, so I am pretty sure they will succeed with this one too.
I was one of those people, and they proved me wrong. I'm not betting against them again.

Wesp5

Arcane
At least it's a living world with a lot of people doing their stuff :)! Not the usual apocalyptic wasteland with some survivors (Fallout 76) or not many people at all (Prey)...

Van-d-all

Erudite
No, the trailer does not look like Cyberpunk 2020, even as per Pondsmith's vision.

Here you go:

View attachment 9109

Here you go:

"It's rain wet streets, it's nights like this with fog rolling in. Cars, faceless people going by, doing the things that they are doing. There's something kinds hypnotic about it. That's when I get inspired. To carry what these streets are like, what the city is like. The mistery, the stories, the thousands of thousands of people that you pass, that they are going by as shadows. In this wet, cold, dangerous environment. I wanted to grab that. I wanted to take it to the future. And where I took it, was Cyberpunk. What I loved was the fact that it was combination of dystopian society, a lot of technology, with this really great overlayer of a almost film-noir" - M.Pondsmith.

Van-d-all

Erudite
I recommend it to every Cyberpunk fan - great trilogy, interesting setting, cool main character and it got trannys:obviously:
I've read them. Not bad, but I'd take anything by Gibson (especially the Bridge trilogy) over it anytime. And of all cyberpunk sub-genres I expected the second trailer to be even more in vein of Syndicate Wars, not Moonbeam City.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Subverting expectations with a trailer that heavily features daylight is all well and good, but they should have made some of those night scenes more prominent to avoid all these "wtf that doesn't look like cyberpunk" comments. :)

With a day and night cycle, it's inevitable that a lot of stuff is going to take place during the day.

Wesp5

Arcane
I've read them. Not bad, but I'd take anything by Gibson (especially the Bridge trilogy) over it anytime.

I know both too and Gibson is still better, at least his older books which played further in the future. But he didn't show only dark rainy Cyberpunk worlds in endless night either! We have vampire RPGs for that ;)...

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
I've read them. Not bad, but I'd take anything by Gibson (especially the Bridge trilogy) over it anytime. And of all cyberpunk sub-genres I expected the second trailer to be even more in vein of Syndicate Wars, not Moonbeam City.

I do not like Gibsons writing style it is to "postmodern" for my tastes also I doubt CPR will do its game in NewRetroWave style - they are to sophisticated and have their own vision.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Gibsons writing style it is to "postmodern" for my tastes
His style is exactly what makes him my favorite writer.
also I doubt CPR will do its game in NewRetroWave style
Um...
Moonbeam City
MBC_2.jpg

Although:
a) it's trailer, not the game we're talking about
b) it's not NRW per se, as the term is even broader than cyberpunk

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
This trailer literally got my dick harder than diamond. The venous, pulsating shaft is absolute, making a Curb-esque tent of my pants. No need to relieve myself, as upon a second viewing, I exploded. A length of hot jism; a streamer of celebration.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Hollywood forms peoples tastes: Blade Runner=Cyberpunk=night+rain. I would be happy if CPR will follow their own vision. It is good they took less popular Cyberpunk setting also they could draw artistic inspiration from Polands cult SciFi creators Maciej Parowski, Jacek Radek, Boguslaw Polch
iu

Ruzen

Savant
As always snowflakes getting trigger over nothing.
I'm like 90% sure they are going to do another trailer named "day&night dynamics" in future and show the usual grim, rainy streets. They have been brainstorming with the guy like almost 5 years now I'm pretty sure Pondsmith is happy with the day design.

Wizfall

Cipher
I don't mind the visual shift, it's quite original.
It does not look like Cyberpunk 2020 though so it's understandable some are dsisappointed.

On the other hand i dislike a lot the concept of a pre-made MC (i did not play any witcher games because of that).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom