Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

FeelTheRads

Arcane
This new Fallout will be better than 4 and 3

Bethesda always improving. From utter garbage to maybe just garbage. How do they do it?

Is Fallout the most milked franchise like ever?

Probably not, but I'm guessing it's in the top 10.

It's really quite puzzling, they could've probably sold similar numbers even if they did their own franchise. A cult franchise can bring something extra in, but how much?
That Vault Boy, the only thing that they really kept from the original games, must sell a lot. It's the perfect thing for bun-haired hipster retards to put ironically on their t-shirts and christmas sweaters.

Last edited:

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Imagine playing a Bethesda game without mods.

What do mods add to Bethesda game that apparently makes them playable?
In Fallout 4, settlement building in vanilla sucks, as it's incredibly clunky. Mods make it quite serviceable.
Incidentally, there was a fallout 4 city planner mod released recently.
Yup. The SimSettlements mod has come a long way for people who want to leave most of the settlement building to the game. You just have to start the process (assign a city leader on a console you build in a settlement location), and the game will build the whole town from a blueprint, level it, etc. You can help it along if you wish, but you can also just leave it alone.
No, there is another now. called Annex The Commonwealth, where you not only build your settlement but over time your settlement grows on its own, expands its borders taking new land in the surrounding area, etc.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/32170
Ah, cool. Probably too much for my aging computer though. Sounds certainly interesting though. Maybe, I'll give it a whirl at some point.
My sentiments exactly. I'm not going to be trying it any time soon, but good to have on the backburner should the mood strike.

Nas92

Augur
Check out the Fallout subreddit's thread on this if you want to laugh at naive fools who thought this would be anything else but a shallow cashgrab. It's the worst case scenario in every respect - always online, no NPCs, always PvP, base building but other players can destroy base with nukes. Now all we need is lootboxes.

Gerrard

Arcane
This time you get the power armor on your way from the vault to the first town. Fallout 4 made you wait too long.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
3399169-foboxart.jpg

Best box art cover so far

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I feel the reactions on fallout 76 here are quite ridiculous.

First of all, the Fallout IP/franchise was already dead and buried when Bethesda bought it. And as soon as they bought it it was clear they would make an elder scrolls in Fallout Universe - basically half assed action games in huge open world with somewhat enjoyable combat and exploration.

What they do now with Fallout 76 is at least somewhat innovative and new - and it looks like they are less schizophrenic about wanting to make an action game but also still be an rpg. What I like about the concept is that it enforces the fact that in a post-apocalyptic wasteland the most dangerous enemies are other humans. Having the possibility of encountering hostile human players adds a layer of extra tension to exploration that could be very fun. Also exploring the world with a friend could also be cool. Building mechanics I'm not sure about yet.

All in all, if the quests are reasonably interesting (enough to warrant going out of town) then I think this could actually be a fun game - contrary to the chore that especially Fallout 4 was.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

First of all, the Fallout IP/franchise was already dead and buried when Bethesda bought it. And as soon as they bought it it was clear they would make an elder scrolls in Fallout Universe - basically half assed action games in huge open world with somewhat enjoyable combat and exploration.

What they do now with Fallout 76 is at least somewhat innovative and new - and it looks like they are less schizophrenic about wanting to make an action game but also still be an rpg. What I like about the concept is that it enforces the fact that in a post-apocalyptic wasteland the most dangerous enemies are other humans. Having the possibility of encountering hostile human players adds a layer of extra tension to exploration that could be very fun. Also exploring the world with a friend could also be cool. Building mechanics I'm not sure about yet.

All in all, if the quests are reasonably interesting (enough to warrant going out of town) then I think this could actually be a fun game - contrary to the chore that especially Fallout 4 was.

Yea this Fallout sounds pretty much like the Project Vault 13

Diggfinger

Arcane

Yea this Fallout sounds pretty much like the Project Vault 13

Indeed, this looks similar to the Fallout Project Jason Anderson was hired back to Interplay to oversee in October 2007.

Wiki exert:

Interplay Entertainment (October 2007 – February 2009)
In November 2007, it was announced that Interplay Entertainment had resumed development activities and hired Anderson to lead their first project .[22] Anderson worked on Project V13 with fellow Fallout creator Chris Taylor. Although it was never officially stated, the project he worked on was believed to be a Fallout-related MMO. Interplay retained the rights for such a title after selling the Fallout rights to Bethesda Softworks. However, Bethesda later disputed this right in a legal case, which further stalled its development. Anderson had been in talks with Hervé Caen (Brian Fargo's successor after Titus Software's acquisition of Interplay Entertainment in 2001) about the project for nearly a year, and felt it was one of the few projects that could entice him to get back into the video-game industry. As Creative Director, Anderson was responsible for a putting a team together and overseeing progress on the game. Nevertheless, although he enjoyed working on the project, Anderson later decided to leave Interplay to accept an offer from InXile Entertainment who presented him with "a more stable opportunity".[22]

Probably with today's technology and resources they at least have a better chance not to make a (boring) mess of it.

Dunno. this is far, far from my Fallout but at least it looks less crappy than 4. Agree it could maybe work as kind of a Borderlands-Action-RPG-thing...?
*starts binge-drinking vodka convulsively*
:negative:

duke nukem

Augur
Hopefully some modder takes these new creature models and put them on earlier fallouts.
You know, the griefing potential here is so enormous that, while the game itself will undoubtedly be decline of the worst order, the game within a game of making Bethestards miserable could be very enjoyable.

I mean, making Bethesda fans feel like tasteless morons on interweb forums is great and all, but wouldn’t there be more satisfaction in actively ruining their experience of the new game? If I was halfway decent at playing first person shooters, I would almost consider doing this. Although paying Bethesda for the privilege kind of defeats the purpose.

Still, 76 does have at least this single redeeming quality: it’s a game where you can repeatedly kill people who liked 3 and 4. That’s a more powerful motivation than anything in the other BGS Fallouts.
Yes, im still gonna buy it and knowing its bethesda game, grieving is going to be easy as hell. They cant balance a shit. I wonder if dead players will respawn in vault 76? If so, it would be great to put wall of turrets outside of the vault 76 so everyone who gets outside vault, would get mowed down automatically by the turrets.:lol:

Mikeal

Arcane
Let's review a brief history of what Bethesda-employees have provided us.

Cons:
-Dev studio(s) slow to learn new tricks, slow to change tech, and yet quick to streamline.
-Despite this manages to make games that visually are shit (particularly in lighting quality and colors)
-All games crash and buggy. 60USD Pre-orders anyway.
-Uses the walking simulator aspects to hurt the universe. (how can you fuck up a walking simulator's purpose when that's your priority?)
-The Vice President himself thinks because Ghouls exist in Fallout's universe therefore causality can freely be ignored.
-Todd Howard has stated outright lies about multiple endings (promises hundreds or infinite when there's 1 ending)
-Todd Howard repeatedly has shown he's willing to make false promises about .. everything. He is a radiant liar. This applies to every major game he's made at Bethesda.
-Emil Pag. who lead FO4's development is dangerously incoherent when justifying his positions. (go watch his talk about it and talks about FO3 dev)
-All the devs seem to follow Blizzards' model of acting like the original games didn't exist.
-They've never reversed a trend of bad gameplay without the tech first having to improve.
-They've never fully returned to a positive gameplay trend set by the originals.
-Their modding toolsets are always unfixably buggy pieces of shit in relation to the popularity the modding community brings to their games.
-Chose to fulfill every modders' nightmare by creating a Creation Club to service The Sims-Weekly-Object-Pack instead of working with modders to produce great quest DLC.
-Utilizes Cult of Personality to ignore absorbing lessons from others.
-Awe inspiring use of family values to keep Group Think strong at their game development studio(s). (that hurt me to say, but it was necessary)
-Misuse of funds on voice acting not actually needed. Still keeps NPCs generic.
-Spoils the boon of modular assets and procedural level design to make the game development process faster not the game better.
-Extreme reliance on hardware requirements to avoid optimizing game properly.
-Pays shills to lie and distort scores, but won't pay old fan base to try their games.
-Games drop to near-zero replayability if you exhaust the quest content or even just a good fraction of it.
-Vaultboy could join #metoo at this point.

Pros:
-They show a healthy sense of contempt for those who most often defend them.
-You too can have your ambitions crushed by trying to mod undeserving titles.
-Actually some mods are pretty good. Worth a try. Pickup hundreds of them before pressing play though.

And yet after reviewing all that. I'm pretty sure not even we can predict the decline that Fallout 76 will or will not bring.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Fallout 76 is the turning point. The tipping point. The point of no return. The Point Break. The point point....

This is a clueless comparison. There was game-play footage as well. What it actually means is that it will be like ESO, meaning a single player MMO.

singleplayer multiplayer game, nice

I mean if you haven't played any of the games mentioned I guess there is not much to talk about.

I played both. ESO is a regular MMO. Dark Souls has online, but you can choose not to interact with other players. Besides, around the 1 hour mark, Todd specifically mentions it's not a MMO - "you'll be in a world with dozens of other players, not hundreds or thousands, because it's the apocalypse".

Dustin542

Liturgist
why is Andrew WK playing party hard? is this something that normally happens at these things?
He was playing Ready to Die, the song they used in the Rage 2 trailer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom