Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Remember when Fallout was a dark musing on human nature and the inevitability of conflict that was contrasted with the retro 1950s Americana imagery?

Lol now you get to lob nukes at your friends! Did you hear our licensed music from the 50s that is thrown in because that's what passes for Fallout now?
Sounds like nazi talk. You remember how pete feels about nazis, don't you?

illuknisaa

Cipher
pyHS2rC.jpg

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You know, the griefing potential here is so enormous that, while the game itself will undoubtedly be decline of the worst order, the game within a game of making Bethestards miserable could be very enjoyable.

I mean, making Bethesda fans feel like tasteless morons on interweb forums is great and all, but wouldn’t there be more satisfaction in actively ruining their experience of the new game? If I was halfway decent at playing first person shooters, I would almost consider doing this. Although paying Bethesda for the privilege kind of defeats the purpose.

Still, 76 does have at least this single redeeming quality: it’s a game where you can repeatedly kill people who liked 3 and 4. That’s a more powerful motivation than anything in the other BGS Fallouts.

Turjan

Arcane
This is a clueless comparison. There was game-play footage as well. What it actually means is that it will be like ESO, meaning a single player MMO.

singleplayer multiplayer game, nice

I mean if you haven't played any of the games mentioned I guess there is not much to talk about.
ESO is a good example, yes. You can play it completely solo and ignore everyone else. It's still an MMO. I only tried it in one of these free plays, but it's completely soulless and boring to me.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
It's amazing how people only really care about the main Bethesda games like Fallout/TES

Every other game bores the crowd
For the same reason the only big successes for Zenimax/Bethesda is dev Bethesdas fallouts and elder scrolls. The other titles are often boring, streamlined and not what bethesdas core customer base is interested in. Same as this new always online fallout. It might be successfull, but I doubt it will recieve the same amount of success as previous titles, as once again bethesda feels the need to t
Imagine playing a Bethesda game without mods.

What do mods add to Bethesda game that apparently makes them playable?
In Fallout 4, settlement building in vanilla sucks, as it's incredibly clunky. Mods make it quite serviceable.
Incidentally, there was a fallout 4 city planner mod released recently.

Turjan

Arcane

In Fallout 4, settlement building in vanilla sucks, as it's incredibly clunky. Mods make it quite serviceable.
Yup. The SimSettlements mod has come a long way for people who want to leave most of the settlement building to the game. You just have to start the process (assign a city leader on a console you build in a settlement location), and the game will build the whole town from a blueprint, level it, etc. You can help it along if you wish, but you can also just leave it alone.

Aim1ess

Novice
This is a clueless comparison. There was game-play footage as well. What it actually means is that it will be like ESO, meaning a single player MMO.

singleplayer multiplayer game, nice

I mean if you haven't played any of the games mentioned I guess there is not much to talk about.
ESO is a good example, yes. You can play it completely solo and ignore everyone else. It's still an MMO. I only tried it in one of these free plays, but it's completely soulless and boring to me.

Of course, because an MMO is developed in a different way with different design goals. It isn't simply a solid single player RPG with multiplayer patched in - it is designed from the ground up to be an MMO(allowing multiple people to do content together, allowing for continual content creation to keep endgame fresh, balancing for online play, heavy emphasis on hooking players to get them to keep coming back and keep paying sub.)

Playing the single player component of a multiplayer focused game is like muting the protagonist VO in Fallout 4 - it is a superficial fix that "in theory" fixes the issue on paper if you have no idea what you are talking about (like games journalists or the majority of players that probably didn't see this as a negative the moment they saw it.) The muting does not work because the problem is much deeper. You do less lines because they cost more to make. You can't change them as freely or as often so its much more rigid in the writing process. Speculation on this one but I think you also can't "get away" with riskier stuff when someone is actually saying it rather than just picking words on the screen. etc. All this boils down to a much more railroaded player character whether you mute the voice or not, the damage has been done already.

They didn't spend the entire conference talking about multiplayer because it was new, they focused on it because that is what the game is structured around. Playing a multiplayer RPG alone is the worst of all worlds - you get the bland, background story designed to just be thrown away as an excuse to get you and other players moving while not enjoying the multiplayer aspect of the game. I turned the stream off as soon as he said always online.

I know most people here hate the "hiking simulator" aspect of Beth games, but I actually enjoy Skyrim as a different type of game you just have to know what you are getting into. This, though. Rust type games are BORING AS FUCK. There is nothing here for me. If I get on with a group of friends I'd rather play League, Diablo 3, Counter-Strike, TF2, fucking anything other than this multiplayer base building shit.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Guys, Todd Howard doing stand-up at E3...eh....
:dealwithit::hearnoevil:

Oh yea and apparently 76 is a prequel to all the other games. At least the power armor looks right.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist

Yup. The SimSettlements mod has come a long way for people who want to leave most of the settlement building to the game. You just have to start the process (assign a city leader on a console you build in a settlement location), and the game will build the whole town from a blueprint, level it, etc. You can help it along if you wish, but you can also just leave it alone.
No, there is another now. called Annex The Commonwealth, where you not only build your settlement but over time your settlement grows on its own, expands its borders taking new land in the surrounding area, etc.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/32170

Turjan

Arcane

No, there is another now. called Annex The Commonwealth, where you not only build your settlement but over time your settlement grows on its own, expands its borders taking new land in the surrounding area, etc.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/32170
Ah, cool. Probably too much for my aging computer though. Sounds certainly interesting though. Maybe, I'll give it a whirl at some point.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Yeah you gotta give it to Todd, he's a good presenter.

At least, compared to stammering mongrels you typically see at E3. Kind of funny how only Bethesda and MS seem to have figured out to put a fucking executive on the stage who actually does this sort of thing for a living. Every time anybody has developers on the stage by stomach aches.

because Todd rolled 10 charisma

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom